Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used 2019 Model S 100D what should I be on the lookout for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The link shows this as a 2019 with about 29k miles. OEM warranty is 4 yr/50k miles, whichever comes first. That would suggest that the OEM warranty will end sometime in 2023, but the key is to know when it was put into service. If the car was originally delivered say in December 2018, then the OEM bumper-to-bumper warranty could be ending in just a couple months from now or could still be good for about a full year if it wasn't originally delivered to owner until Nov-Dec 2019.

Battery and drive motor warranty would be 8 years. I forget exactly when Tesla changed this on the model S from 8 years unlimited to 8 years/150k miles, but unless you plan on driving more than about 25k miles a year this will likely expire on time, in about another 4-5 years.

Only reason those warranty conditions would not apply is if this turns out to be a salvage title. Otherwise the warranty transfers to new owner.

Reactions: brainhouston
Test drive it, make sure everything is sound. Check all buttons, walk around n ck for dents n scratches.
Request or get a carfax.
Same cars at Tesla website are $5k+ but with FSD so sounds about the right price.

This is a Raven (build date 8/19 according to door sticker) so minimally 4yr/50k warranty will be valid through 8/23 - possibly later depending on when the car was first delivered.

Looks like a decent purchase. If you buy, I would consider an XCare Warranty when the factory warranty expires.

Battery/drive unit should be covered for 8 years/unlimited but I am not 100% sure when Tesla changed that.

Battery/drive unit should be covered for 8 years/unlimited but I am not 100% sure when Tesla changed that.

I believe it was in early 2020 when Tesla changed the battery warranty on the Model S and X to add in coverage for degradation but removed the unlimited mileage aspect. Here's a link to an on-line article by Electrek from Feb 2020 talking about the recent change.

I think that means the vehicle that OP is considering would have 8 year/unlimited based upon it being an Aug 2019 build likely delivered sometime around the end of Q3 (my memory is they were pushing deliveries to hit quarter end numbers quite frequently in that timeframe).

Carefully inspect for interior scratches/marrings exceeding 1” and hold Tesla accountable for repair. Ensure that you inspect the body, bumpers, etc for transport damages; any mark exceeding 1” they owe you repairs. Window, tail gate, and frunk should operate normally. Test drive and listen for drive train and drive unit noises.

I’d suggest you create a check list. I had a 1/2“ hole in my bumper at delivery, a substantial gouge in the rear quarter panel, the window regulator being actively replaced during delivery, interior seat back was badly scratched…Tesla fixed all of it but fought it tooth and nail even when I showed them their OWN policies. Another way of saying focus on inspecting the car before you accept delivery!!!!

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
Carefully inspect for interior scratches/marrings exceeding 1” and hold Tesla accountable for repair. Ensure that you inspect the body, bumpers, etc for transport damages; any mark exceeding 1” they owe you repairs. Window, tail gate, and frunk should operate normally. Test drive and listen for drive train and drive unit noises.

I’d suggest you create a check list. I had a 1/2“ hole in my bumper at delivery, a substantial gouge in the rear quarter panel, the window regulator being actively replaced during delivery, interior seat back was badly scratched…Tesla fixed all of it but fought it tooth and nail even when I showed them their OWN policies. Another way of saying focus on inspecting the car before you accept delivery!!!!
OP is not buying from Tesla though ...

Reactions: brainhouston
Any reason you're not looking at CPOs from Tesla? For example, this one up in PA:

Includes FSD (most not all CPO cars include FSD) and a 1-yr 10kmi additional used car warranty from Tesla.

I would not buy a “previously repaired” used car from Tesla at pretty much any price given how opaque their transaction process has become.

I would not buy a “previously repaired” used car from Tesla at pretty much any price given how opaque their transaction process has become.
Uh, OK then:
"not previously repaired" and lower miles.
I'd buy from Tesla over some random used car sales place that has no clue what the car has or doesn't have or what the features mean, or are worth, and also can't get a mfr's warranty if it goes through a 3rd party sales shop.

I'd buy from Tesla over some random used car sales place that has no clue what the car has or doesn't have or what the features mean, or are worth, and also can't get a mfr's warranty if it goes through a 3rd party sales shop.

Cool. You do you. I’ve seen and heard enough horror stories with Tesla’s used car operation that I’m not particularly interested in giving them my business. I don’t need the “random used car place” to know anything about the car so long as I do.

If an extra year of warranty is worth thousands more to you in exchange for buying a car you can’t see or inspect beforehand, then I’m sure Tesla has something for you.

Reactions: outdoors
Cool. You do you. I’ve seen and heard enough horror stories with Tesla’s used car operation that I’m not particularly interested in giving them my business. I don’t need the “random used car place” to know anything about the car so long as I do.

If an extra year of warranty is worth thousands more to you in exchange for buying a car you can’t see or inspect beforehand, then I’m sure Tesla has something for you.
You get to see and inspect the car before driving it off the lot. You aren't forced to buy something sight-unseen.
But if you want to give some dealer your money for a car w/o EAP or FSD for almost the same price, seems like you're throwing money away. The one benefit I see is that you might be able to negotiate the price down with a used lot. Anyway, I was just trying to show you want is on paper a better deal. Sorry if I offended you by suggesting that Tesla might be a good source from which to buy a ... Tesla.