Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used FSD car from Tesla, first hand experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is full self driving capability? Does this used car have it? If so, why would it still have hw2.5? Why won’t they install hw3 for me?

Hope this helps someone in the market as it’s confusing for sure....I bought a 2018 MR a couple months ago from Tesla, and had it shipped to my nearest Tesla dealer. They crashed it in transit, repaired it, and it was finally ready for delivery this week. I primarily bought from Tesla as they were offering all their used cars with full self driving capability. Yes, that means they come with the $10k option turned on. “Capability” is confusing but they do have fsd.

When I went to pick it up, I was concerned as the screen showed basic autopilot, not fsd. I asked. The two sales people at Tesla had no idea what they were talking about. I tried to be nice, but politely told them I’d paid for fsd and wanted to be sure the car had it before delivery and the 3 hour drive home. First they said autopilot is fsd. Then the told me it needed a software update to display it. Then they said fsd wasn’t out yet so it couldn’t be displayed. Having another model 3 with it, I knew that wasn’t true. Then another salesman told me I had to pay for premium data to get it, obviously false.

Finally I went into the service Dept and asked. They entered the vin and in 10 seconds told me the car did have fsd. So, I accepted it. Driving away from the dealer, the screen went black and the car reset. When it came back on, fsd was enabled.

Here’s what I learned. Yes, the used cars do come with the $10k option—fsd. If the car has hw2.5, it likely didn’t have fsd prior and won’t appear to when you look at it. When they “assign” it to your account upon your acceptance, it’ll appear. That’s when your Tesla account changes from an RN to a vin number. They won’t install hw3 before delivery, and I suspect it’s to ensure you accept it before they waste the money and time on swapping it.

again, just my experience and hope this can help someone else.

Thanks for sharing your experience. You should be able to get HW 3.0 installed "later" as you likely know, but it does kind of suck they wont do it ahead of time. Not that you needed any validation, but it appears like you handled that interaction very well.

Its certainly a shame that tesla has so many people on the "front lines" in sales who have no clue about things they are supposed to have a clue about. This is not unique to tesla in any manner, but it doesnt excuse it. They really need to be better with that.

Reactions: CyberGus
...Its certainly a shame that tesla has so many people on the "front lines" in sales who have no clue about things they are supposed to have a clue about. This is not unique to tesla in any manner, but it doesnt excuse it. They really need to be better with that.

I don't expect the Tesla sales employees to understand programming, or know if the CT will have a funny steering wheel, or exactly when the new factory will be complete. But I don't understand how they could fail to have a basic understanding of the product they work with every single day.

I guess it's foreign to me because I hate saying "I don't know", particularly on a germane subject. Apparently, some are not bothered by a demonstration of ignorance.

• Love
Reactions: Needsdecaf
Thanks for sharing your experience. You should be able to get HW 3.0 installed "later" as you likely know, but it does kind of suck they wont do it ahead of time. Not that you needed any validation, but it appears like you handled that interaction very well.

Its certainly a shame that tesla has so many people on the "front lines" in sales who have no clue about things they are supposed to have a clue about. This is not unique to tesla in any manner, but it doesnt excuse it. They really need to be better with that.
Totally correct. The instant it appeared on my phone app I scheduled it. Hw3 goes in Monday at my SC.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
What is full self driving capability? Does this used car have it? If so, why would it still have hw2.5? Why won’t they install hw3 for me?

Hope this helps someone in the market as it’s confusing for sure....I bought a 2018 MR a couple months ago from Tesla, and had it shipped to my nearest Tesla dealer. They crashed it in transit, repaired it, and it was finally ready for delivery this week.

Well, that is throwing up all sorts of red flags for me....

Hope this helps someone in the market as it’s confusing for sure....I bought a 2018 MR a couple months ago from Tesla, and had it shipped to my nearest Tesla dealer. They crashed it in transit, repaired it, and it was finally ready for delivery this week. I primarily bought from Tesla as they were offering all their used cars with full self driving capability. Yes, that means they come with the $10k option turned on. “Capability” is confusing but they do have fsd.

When I went to pick it up, I was concerned as the screen showed basic autopilot, not fsd. I asked. The two sales people at Tesla had no idea what they were talking about. I tried to be nice, but politely told them I’d paid for fsd and wanted to be sure the car had it before delivery and the 3 hour drive home. First they said autopilot is fsd. Then the told me it needed a software update to display it. Then they said fsd wasn’t out yet so it couldn’t be displayed. Having another model 3 with it, I knew that wasn’t true. Then another salesman told me I had to pay for premium data to get it, obviously false.

Finally I went into the service Dept and asked. They entered the vin and in 10 seconds told me the car did have fsd. So, I accepted it. Driving away from the dealer, the screen went black and the car reset. When it came back on, fsd was enabled.

Here’s what I learned. Yes, the used cars do come with the $10k option—fsd. If the car has hw2.5, it likely didn’t have fsd prior and won’t appear to when you look at it. When they “assign” it to your account upon your acceptance, it’ll appear. That’s when your Tesla account changes from an RN to a vin number. They won’t install hw3 before delivery, and I suspect it’s to ensure you accept it before they waste the money and time on swapping it.

again, just my experience and hope this can help someone else.

your experience makes me regret a little less that I didn't buy a used Tesla (I bought a new one and had a bunch of other issues). But it adds to my "WTF, you are seriously trying to make a fool of your customers and have no respect for them" notion.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Just another anecdote. I took delivery of a used 2018 model 3 LRAWD last month, and before I accepted delivery it was already showing FSD and Accel Boost. Seems like the previous owner had already upgraded to HW3

I don't expect the Tesla sales employees to understand programming, or know if the CT will have a funny steering wheel, or exactly when the new factory will be complete. But I don't understand how they could fail to have a basic understanding of the product they work with every single day.

I guess it's foreign to me because I hate saying "I don't know", particularly on a germane subject. Apparently, some are not bothered by a demonstration of ignorance.
So on the one hand I agree that you need to be up to date and informed about the details of your employer’s products and offerings, it’s also true that Tesla has a massive amount of churn in what their offering, the special deals, and I suspect a lot of ideas are pushed out without rigorous documentation updates and training so everyone understands what the current information is, as opposed to last week’s or last month’s.

Not to mention the use of overlapping terms for Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, Full Self Driving etc. So I have more sympathy for Tesla employees than many companies, while agreeing it is something they need to know.
As someone who bought a 2018LR M3 a year ago this month and didn’t get FSD, I’m glad you’ve gotten it and sorted it out.

I had something similar happen to me with AP2.0 in a CPO 2016 S.

Had multiple sales and delivery manager promise and email that the car had 2.0, then find out it had 1.0. Of course no OTA upgrade possible, but I was hoping for some discount for another 2.0 car. No luck so I went with a new 3 and took the tax credit instead.

Several months later update....the car is awesome, love it. I had lots of work to get it up to speeed.

The mobile ranger’s been to my house 4 times to sort out various small issues it had. Its first owner wasn’t kind to it. One wheel was cracked, so I had that prof repaired and amazingly Tesla corporate reimbursed me. I had paint correction of some sort done on every panel on the car. The hood actually had to be removed and buffed since it was so badly repainted previously. I had the bumper repainted due to several low speed impacts. Tesla SC near me had to align the car as the steering wheel was nowhere even close to straight at delivery. I spent hours cleaning the interior and removing the rest of the tint which looks to have been removed by an animal.

Overall it’s been about a thousand bucks and probably 20 hours of my time. Wild considering it’s the easily most expensive used car I’ve ever bought and was certainly the worst condition. But, getting FSD for almost free still makes it worth it to me. I’d do it again, but I’d never again buy from Tesla without seeing the car first. I wouldn’t ship one in their system unseen again.

Best of luck!

• Informative
Reactions: CyberGus