Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Lamborghini/Ferrari/or other supercar Vs. new 2020 Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By 2020, a good used Lamborghini (Huracan or even Aventador) or Ferrari 488/458/other would be around $250,000 or even less.

So why would a new 2020 Roadster be better than those other well known super cars? If I go to a fancy restaurant, the valet parking attendant usually park the well known super cars in the front and secure location. Unfortunately, I see them park a really expensive Tesla (model X or P100D) somewhere in the back of the lot with other ordinary cars. So other well known super cars like Lamborghini or Ferrari always get better treatment.

So will the 2020 Tesla Roadster get better treatment like the Lamborghini or Ferrari?

Would you still get a 2020 Tesla Roadster over the Lamborghini Aventador?

I am just trying to see if it would better for me to spend $250,000 on a brand new Tesla 2020 Roadster or other super car.

I already made the deposit for the 2020 Roadster. I will not be getting a super car until 2020, whether it is a Tesla 2020 Roadster or other super car.

By the way, this is only part of what I see with super cars. I am not buying a super car because of good parking at the restaurant. I want to get a super car with performance. Lamborghini and Ferrari do have great performance. Getting good attention with a super car is just a bonus.

A few factors to consider...

COST.
There is a local listing for a 2011 458 for ~$154K, in two years it could depreciate even further making for a bigger difference between the exotics and the Roadster. For buyers of these cars, not sure if the cost difference would matter.

PERFORMANCE
As you said, the performance you will get in both, so not sure if this makes a big difference. There will be a significant difference in ....the overall experience, the Roadster would be brutal silent performance vs. exotic performance coupled with that unmistakable engine and the intoxicating exhaust feedback. The later to me is the main attraction of the exotics.

MAINTENANCE
The Roadster will save you a ton on maintenance. But again, maintenance cost for a buyer of either cars may not be a factor...pay to play eh.

RESALE
IHMO resale of an exotic could be easier relative to the Roadster as the Roadster being a niche car may be difficult to offload. Or, could go the other way that's a risk one would have to take, depends on how long you plan on keeping it.

FIT and Finish
Based on what we have seen from Tesla, I honestly don't think the Roadster quality of paint, fit and finish will match the exotics. Buyers of these cars are picky about paint quality/fit and finish etc. In an exotic, you just have to sit in it without even starting the car, that would be a tall order for Tesla to match.

Happy hunting.
Cheers

A few factors to consider...

COST.
There is a local listing for a 2011 458 for ~$154K, in two years it could depreciate even further making for a bigger difference between the exotics and the Roadster. For buyers of these cars, not sure if the cost difference would matter.

PERFORMANCE
As you said, the performance you will get in both, so not sure if this makes a big difference. There will be a significant difference in ....the overall experience, the Roadster would be brutal silent performance vs. exotic performance coupled with that unmistakable engine and the intoxicating exhaust feedback. The later to me is the main attraction of the exotics.

MAINTENANCE
The Roadster will save you a ton on maintenance. But again, maintenance cost for a buyer of either cars may not be a factor...pay to play eh.

RESALE
IHMO resale of an exotic could be easier relative to the Roadster as the Roadster being a niche car may be difficult to offload. Or, could go the other way that's a risk one would have to take, depends on how long you plan on keeping it.

FIT and Finish
Based on what we have seen from Tesla, I honestly don't think the Roadster quality of paint, fit and finish will match the exotics. Buyers of these cars are picky about paint quality/fit and finish etc. In an exotic, you just have to sit in it without even starting the car, that would be a tall order for Tesla to match.

Happy hunting.
Cheers

Absolutely right. Your point on FIT and FINISH is also correct. I just talked to a friend last night who has a new model S 100D and he was griping about the misalignment of the door of his car.
Hopefully, by 2020, the roadster will have better fit and finish from learning about the mistakes of their other models.

Reactions: Atlantan
Biggest issue with Supercars is they are super expensive to drive. Every mile depreciates them a bunch. At resale time, only the very low mileage cars will bring the big bucks. High mileage vehicles are unwanted, except at very low resale prices.

The driving experience with traditional supercars is also very different. Difficult to get in and out of, low ride height, fuel guzzling etc. You really need to deal with the pain points to enjoy the high performance experience.

New Tesla Coupe will be a different ownership experience. Quiet, great handling, easy going around town, but ultra performance available at the push of your toe.

Believe most of the Uber manufacturers are also working on new electric drive vehicles. The performance and driving experience will be taking a massive leap upwards in performance and efficiency.

Comparing a gas supercar to an electric supercar is apples to oranges.

Absolutely right. Your point on FIT and FINISH is also correct. I just talked to a friend last night who has a new model S 100D and he was griping about the misalignment of the door of his car.
Hopefully, by 2020, the roadster will have better fit and finish from learning about the mistakes of their other models.
You would like to think so, but for a quarter of a million, don't you hope or think they will all be built by hand? That thing isn't going down the assembly line being put together by robots.

Reactions: HabitualUser
I am minded of the saying...

"Confidence is silent. Insecure is loud"

(the silence thing is particularly appropriate in this case :)).

I guess the 'image' of supercars in Europe and US is different. In popular places in UK, the guy in a red supercar that goes 'Brum Brum' and disturbs conversations is universally regarded as a 'dick head' :rolleyes: ..... so much cooler to be a silent type :cool:

So, I currently own a 2010 Tesla Roadster Sport 2.5 with the R80 battery upgrade. I have over $100k in the car today.

I could easily have purchased a used Ferrari, but I did not, specifically because of the known and guaranteed maintenance costs of a Ferrari.

I am also a reservation holder for the 2020 Roadster.

When I finally get the car I will be 60 years old.

I fully intend to put about 100,000 miles on the car in the first five years of ownership. I will pre-pay Tesla for an extended maintenance agreement and my cost of ownership for the car will be negligible.

The thought of putting 100,000 miles on a Ferrari and expecting virtually no maintenance costs is an absurdity.

I'm pretty thrilled with my current Roadster and cannot wait to get the new one.

Once you have driven an electric sports car for a while, even the thought of owning an ICE sports car seems obscene.

At $250,000, Roadster has better specs than a $1.5 million Bugatti Chiron

All other super cars are below that. Cost more and have lesser specs. Although, McLaren 720S is a bargain, but still uses gas.

P100D is quicker than all other cars. And Roadster will be quicker than P100D. Hell even just a P85 feels quicker than all the others.

And it's a Tesla. Elon. Representing the future. New technology. Ferrari's and Lamborghini's are noisy horses and bulls that use dinosaur fuel. That's old technology.

Roadster has gasless time warp acceleration.

You will have the fastest car all the time everywhere you go. The truly superior automobile.

You won't have that in a ferrari or lambo.

First finite fill up in a ferrari or lambo will easily be over $80. Roadster will be half and can use renewables to charge it

roadster_front_34.jpg

vs.

maxresdefault.jpg

Look at the Roadster, and look at the aventador.... nuff said.

ICE supercars will always have a place in my heart. I had the Lambo and SR-22 Blackbird posters on my wall. Future EV supercars will be extremely disruptive. Less acquisition cost, lower maintenance and superior in every way. Manufacturers will conquer battery heating issues on the track and under extreme driving. The future is bright.

I considered getting a Ferrari instead of my P100D, I got the Tesla mostly because I didn't want the attention of the Ferrari for my daily driver. Different story for the roadster as that would be the weekend car.

By the time the Roadster is out, the 488 replacement will also be out, and used 488s will be readily available in the same price range.

At this point though the Roadster is just a concept, the specs could very likely change before delivery, and the delivery date is very likely to slip. Based on what Tesla has said though the roadster is going to be a very heavy car, with the battery alone approaching the weight of the 488. While it is going to be very very quick in a straight line, I suspect that its cornering ability is going to be very lacking compared with a 488. Besides for a straight line, it has yet to be proven that Tesla can make a car that really puts a smile on your face, which is the whole point of a car like this.

The lack of engine note is also going to be a huge detriment to the roadster, Ferrari's sound like nothing else.

As for the maintenance issue, new Ferrari's come with 7 years of maintenance from the dealer. At the $250k price range you'll likely have a good number of years left on that. Based on Tesla's track record they are going to rake Roadster owners over the coals for annual maintenance and I doubt the reliability will be better than a Ferrari.

Last thing is the depreciation, which as a used car the 488 will fare far better than the Roadster. The P100D's deprecation is awful, while the V8 Ferrari's maintain their value extremely well. Of course there is something to be said for getting a brand new car, vs a used one.

• Funny
Reactions: ZsoZso and Brando
I considered getting a Ferrari instead of my P100D, I got the Tesla mostly because I didn't want the attention of the Ferrari for my daily driver. Different story for the roadster as that would be the weekend car.

By the time the Roadster is out, the 488 replacement will also be out, and used 488s will be readily available in the same price range.

At this point though the Roadster is just a concept, the specs could very likely change before delivery, and the delivery date is very likely to slip. Based on what Tesla has said though the roadster is going to be a very heavy car, with the battery alone approaching the weight of the 488. While it is going to be very very quick in a straight line, I suspect that its cornering ability is going to be very lacking compared with a 488. Besides for a straight line, it has yet to be proven that Tesla can make a car that really puts a smile on your face, which is the whole point of a car like this.

The lack of engine note is also going to be a huge detriment to the roadster, Ferrari's sound like nothing else.

As for the maintenance issue, new Ferrari's come with 7 years of maintenance from the dealer. At the $250k price range you'll likely have a good number of years left on that. Based on Tesla's track record they are going to rake Roadster owners over the coals for annual maintenance and I doubt the reliability will be better than a Ferrari.

Last thing is the depreciation, which as a used car the 488 will fare far better than the Roadster. The P100D's deprecation is awful, while the V8 Ferrari's maintain their value extremely well. Of course there is something to be said for getting a brand new car, vs a used one.

You are right that the V8 Ferraris tend to hold fairly strong -- but the 488 could well be different as the first non-normally aspirated Ferrari since the F40.

Yes it's quick - but too quiet for many Ferrari owners. My view is if I want quiet performance, I would go to Tesla, but for the roar of Ferrari V8 - keep it normally aspirated.

Eventually there will be a Ferrar-E - and that will likely be amazing - but until then 458 / speciale / 430 / scuderia all have the most amazing sounds

I am sorry, but the lack of engine noise is a bonus. Cars making loud noises is so old fashioned. And the vibrations the large engines make is easy to forget. I think once the electric supercars are out, the expensive gas cars will become the equivalent of gold plated, ivory inlayed rotary phones. You can brag about them all you want, but no one will actually want to use one.