Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Used M3 - WWYD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could use some advice on purchasing a used Model 3.

I'm looking at a 2021 with low mileage. The seller is a friend of a friend, he's preparing to deploy overseas and wants to get rid of it. He's offering to sell it to me for the remainder of the note, which is far below market price. From photos, the car appears to be in very good shape and he says it's never been in an accident.

What steps would someone take to inspect a used M3 before purchase? What are the things I should be looking for? Who is qualified to do an inspection and verify the quality of the vehicle? How would I go about making sure there's not a lien on the vehicle and that the title can transfer cleanly?

The car has been kept in rural North Carolina. The one issue he reported to me is some chipping on the front bumper and around the bottom of the front doors. It's hard to see unless it's pointed out. How much should I expect to pay for a new paint job? The car is red, and I've heard there's something special about the paints Tesla uses. Should I expect to get the paint back to stock at a reasonable price, or should I be considering other options?

Finally, neither of us knows the process for transferring ownership in the Tesla app. Is that something that can be done remotely? I am not planning to travel to North Carolina to get the car, I do have a friend lined up to drive it back. So I'm wondering how ownership transfers if you are not in the same physical location.

If your friend owns the car outright, he’ll have the physical title which he’ll need to transfer ownership, so you don’t have to worry about liens.

If you can’t see the paint damage unless it’s pointed out, why spend money fixing it? Wait until you have damage worth fixing.

Your friend can transfer ownership to you via the app.

You mention "the remainder of the note", is there a loan on the car?
Yeah, he owes a little under $10k. The deal is I would pay that off and keep the car.

While I don't have a specific concern about liens, I want to make sure there's nothing that would prevent me from getting the title.

If you can’t see the paint damage unless it’s pointed out, why spend money fixing it? Wait until you have damage worth fixing.
Just trying to understand what I'm getting into. No plans to repaint it immediately.

Yeah, he owes a little under $10k. The deal is I would pay that off and keep the car.

While I don't have a specific concern about liens, I want to make sure there's nothing that would prevent me from getting the title.

Just trying to understand what I'm getting into. No plans to repaint it immediately.

If you are getting the car for the remainder of that note as the price (meaning the 10k you mentioned) then pretty much anything you mentioned is immaterial (paint chips, etc). The high voltage battery itself is worth more than that, without even having "the car" around it.

I didnt answer the thread question. At that price, "buy it", and not be concerned about charge levels of battery, paint chips, or anything other than if the car runs and doesnt need major body work.

That sounds too good to be true... Just be careful it is not a scam! Good luck!

It really does, the only reason I didnt say that up front is that this is supposedly a "friend of a friend" and I am making the assumption that the friend of the OP has at least vetted that this isnt a scam.

It really does, the only reason I didnt say that up front is that this is supposedly a "friend of a friend" and I am making the assumption that the friend of the OP has at least vetted that this isnt a scam.
Everyone's concern is appreciated.

Not a scam, seller is trustworthy. Probably should not have mentioned the price. Main concern is the car might have been treated a little ruggedly, seems like off roading is one of the seller's hobbies.

The offer came out of the blue, just trying to figure out the responsible steps. This is my first time buying a car from out of state, not sure what inspection of a Tesla would entail, weary of hidden costs.

At that price I'd grab it. But the lien won't be released until the loan is paid off. Is the seller expecting a cash payment? Or are you assuming the loan? Check with both NC DMV and your own state's DMV on the process they require. In spite of the horrible reputation DMV usually has, they at least make it so you can't get screwed on a transaction. If you don't have title to the car you won't be able to register it. Also, the bank that has the loan will either want to transfer it to you through a loan application, or require the seller to pay it off.

New York State requirements other states are similar.

I doubt this is real...but if it is....GO FOR IT! Super great deal! DO IT and DO NOT LOOK BACK!

Reactions: android04
Everyone's concern is appreciated.

Not a scam, seller is trustworthy. Probably should not have mentioned the price. Main concern is the car might have been treated a little ruggedly, seems like off roading is one of the seller's hobbies.

The offer came out of the blue, just trying to figure out the responsible steps. This is my first time buying a car from out of state, not sure what inspection of a Tesla would entail, weary of hidden costs.
To answer your question in the OP and since this Model 3 has been used off-road, recommend inspecting the underside of the car.

Damage to the High Voltage Battery can be costly to repair/replace.

See attached Tech Note from Tesla regarding what to look for and potential repair if there are damage to the underside or the HV Battery.

And the steps for the seller to remove/transfer the car from their Tesla account...

Attachments

• TN-18-16-001_Inspect_M3_and_MY_HV_Battery_for_Underside_Damage_R3.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20230305_203611_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230305_203611_Tesla.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 158
  • Screenshot_20230305_203639_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20230305_203639_Tesla.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Reactions: Quamera and scratch
If this is legit, and I'm not saying it is or isn't, the seller has a loan out on the car. The bank still has the title and a lien. My guess is the seller is somehow under the impression that he could just transfer the loan and have the buyer start making the payments, but the bank won't go for that. They will want to do a full loan application and run a credit check and everything else that entails. The bank will then need to provide the paperwork necessary for the buyer to register the car.

Reactions: android04
To answer your question in the OP and since this Model 3 has been used off-road, recommend inspecting the underside of the car.

Damage to the High Voltage Battery can be costly to repair/replace.

See attached Tech Note from Tesla regarding what to look for and potential repair if there are damage to the underside or the HV Battery.

And the steps for the seller to remove/transfer the car from their Tesla account...
Appreciate the response. TN-18-16-001 is very informative.

The nearest Tesla service center to the car is a few hours drive. I think our plan is get a body shop to look it over and let me know if there are any issues.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
To close this out - ended up buying the car.

WRT the finances, we signed an agreement this morning. I'm sending him payment for the balance of his loan, he will send me the title and the release of lien once he receives them. We both spoke to his bank, it's not possible for them to send these documents to me directly. So I will have to wait a bit before registering it.

We were not able to line up an inspection before purchase. He doesn't want to put more effort into the sale and says it was never driven off-road (the chips are from driving over gravel.) The car will be transported from NC and I will have it inspected by a local body shop. If they find anything wrong, it will go to a Tesla service center.

For those who asked about the motivations of the seller, we did discuss what moved him to make this deal. His motivations are not financial, the car was a gift for someone he's no longer with and he doesn't drive it. While I'm not a mind reader, my sense is his generosity is a way of moving on.

This car is intended as a surprise for my wife. She'll either be delighted to receive it or furious should it turn out to be a bad deal. Hoping for the former.

To close this out - ended up buying the car.

WRT the finances, we signed an agreement this morning. I'm sending him payment for the balance of his loan, he will send me the title and the release of lien once he receives them. We both spoke to his bank, it's not possible for them to send these documents to me directly. So I will have to wait a bit before registering it.

We were not able to line up an inspection before purchase. He doesn't want to put more effort into the sale and says it was never driven off-road (the chips are from driving over gravel.) The car will be transported from NC and I will have it inspected by a local body shop. If they find anything wrong, it will go to a Tesla service center.

For those who asked about the motivations of the seller, we did discuss what moved him to make this deal. His motivations are not financial, the car was a gift for someone he's no longer with and he doesn't drive it. While I'm not a mind reader, my sense is his generosity is a way of moving on.

This car is intended as a surprise for my wife. She'll either be delighted to receive it or furious should it turn out to be a bad deal. Hoping for the former.
Sounds like you got a heck of a deal! I would have bought it sight unseen for that price. As for protecting the rocker panels or door edges from further rock chips, I would recommend this paint protection film Rocker Protection - PPF for Model 3. My 2018 Model 3 with 105,500 miles has a little damage on the leading edge of the rocker panels and a bit more on the rear door trailing edge and rocker panels. Those are all from normal driving, the front tires can kick up gravel (or other oncoming cars kick up gravel) and it hits the rockers and door edge. I added mud flaps to my car a few years ago and put some paint protection film on the worst of the damage to keep it from getting worse. From what I can tell, the damage was not enough to get completely through to bare metal and there is no rust on there yet.