Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Model S, 400kms to closest service center... Thoughts plz

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning! I am very seriously looking at purchasing a 2017 Model S 100D in the very near future. I commute 100kms each way per day. It is about a 4 hour drive to Calgary and about 10 to Vancouver.

Any concerning experiences, nightmares or drawbacks from rural Tesla owners?

I will install the proper Tesla wall charger in my garage.

There is only a single model 3 currently in my little town, I would like to know if there are reasons for apprehension. TIA Justin

I would be very wary of dealing with Tesla and their service at that distance. I have had wonderful service appointments that everything just goes smoothly and is wonderful. Sadly if you fall outside the expected parameters the entire system just falls apart and the service experience can be horrific. I love the car but I have experienced easily the worst service and communication of any company I have ever dealt with. Just as a simple test see if you can call you closest service center and actually get a human being on the phone.

I am a huge Tesla fanboy but the Model S (2018) or earlier with MCU1 is probably something I would avoid. To date, my Tesla has needed the equivalent of about $4,500 in repairs. Thankfully for me, about $2,800 of that happened while my car was under warranty but I have been out of pocket about $1,700 and I have another looming repair for the inevitable MCU1 failure.

If I were you, I would be looking for the new MCU.

Prior to owning a Tesla I owned two Lexus’s and in 14 years of ownership, I was out of pocket $1,300 combined. They don’t break. Having said that, I would NEVER go back to ICE but I do wish Tesla reliability was better.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I'm 60 km from a service centre (SC). In 6 years I've had the car in for:
12 volt battery - replaced at a SC in Pittsburgh (In transit to South Carolina)
Heat pump - SC
Door handle 1 - Ranger service
Door Handle 2 - Ranger service
Emmc/MCU1 - SC. I had a loaner for 2 weeks waiting for parts
Windshield and tires - done locally

Ranger service is great for small stuff

Not a bad record for 6 years/145,000 KM

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
The rangers are incredible and that's probably what you'll rely on - I've never had service like it with any other product, especially cars. They're experts, shareholders and usually big fans. For your situation I'd expect they have a ranger who does a regular tour of the area so you certainly won't get the same speed of service but your issues will get seen to. I didn't do 400km but my first year of ownership was ranger-only, SC was 200km away and I've never been there. No complaints and it was an early 2018 M3 which had a reasonable number of issues over that time. We have an SC now but in some ways ranger-only was actually better!

Reactions: Goodtohave
I am a huge Tesla fanboy but the Model S (2018) or earlier with MCU1 is probably something I would avoid. To date, my Tesla has needed the equivalent of about $4,500 in repairs. Thankfully for me, about $2,800 of that happened while my car was under warranty but I have been out of pocket about $1,700 and I have another looming repair for the inevitable MCU1 failure.

If I were you, I would be looking for the new MCU.

Prior to owning a Tesla I owned two Lexus’s and in 14 years of ownership, I was out of pocket $1,300 combined. They don’t break. Having said that, I would NEVER go back to ICE but I do wish Tesla reliability was better.

Definitely am eyes open to the mcu1, factoring a replacement with screen into my purchase. Thank you for the good information!!

A 2017 Model S? Probably a safe bet. Older than 2014? I’d probably pass. When I was selling my 2012 Sig in the summer I wouldn’t sell it to interested parties out East as they were too far from a service center. There was always something going on with my early car and couldn’t do that in good conscience.

Hopefully you get some warranty too, or budget for out of pocket expenses. I have a 2017 S now and it’s better in most ways - except the MCU. Still need to reboot the computer fairly often to get streaming and maps to work.

Reactions: Struja
Definitely am eyes open to the mcu1, factoring a replacement with screen into my purchase. Thank you for the good information!!
Bear in mind there's a recall now for MCU1, if (when) it fails it shouldn't cost anything to replace. There are also service/sales centers opening in Saskatoon and Edmonton, I think Saskatoon might already be open. I'm not sure where you are, but if Vanvouver is further than Calgary, I'm assuming Saskatchewan somewhere.

When I got my S, Vancouver was the only service center in the West and the only Superchargers between the Rockies and Southern Ontario were in Red Deer and Canmore. 5 years later, things are much different, and will only improve as time marches on. The current situation is likely the worst case you will see.

I'm not sure where you are, but if Vancouver is further than Calgary, I'm assuming Saskatchewan somewhere.

If I were to venture a guess, I'd say somewhere near Edson, AB.

Haha, love the speculation! I live in the East Kootenays, beautiful BC for life!!!

As a thread update: 2017 model S has a deal struck in principle and should be in my possession in 10 days!!!

Reactions: DMC-Orangeville
What makes you think this? My understanding is that many people are already out of pocket on it and they only extended the warranty coverage to 160k km. So if you are outside of that period how are you still covered?
The recall letter I got made no mention of mileage limitations; this is now a recall, not a warranty item, so I don't believe mileage or age of the vehicle matter. I'm happy to be proved wrong if you have other info. Those who needed or chose to do the repair prior to the recall can claim to have what they spent reimbursed by Tesla.