Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Model S - advice needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the market for my first Tesla. After going back and forth about it for a while between a model 3 performance and an MS I decided on the S after I came to the conclusion I value looks > acceleration. I am in no need to purchase a vehicle at this instant, so I was hoping to get some opinions if it is smarter to wait until the refresh S starts delivering before I seriously consider to buy. I would think that many are waiting to list their current vehicle until they get the new one delivered. Any of you in that boat, or am I overthinking things? Even if the price point doesnt change that much, I feel there would be a greater supply to choose from so I could pick the one that fits what I am looking for the most.

Some info about what Im looking for in case it helps. Only looking to buy a car with EAP/FSD already purchased, not too concerned about the battery as I rarely go on road trips (longest I ever drive is Tampa to Miami).

I always recommend that people wait until they can get the specific configuration they want (options, color) for the price they can afford. Sometimes it's not that hard, but other times it can be difficult to find. I think I searched for a little over a month before my car popped up. Sounds like you're in no hurry, so I recommend waiting. I certainly don't think the prices will rise when the refreshed model comes out.

What is your budget?

I always recommend that people wait until they can get the specific configuration they want (options, color) for the price they can afford. Sometimes it's not that hard, but other times it can be difficult to find. I think I searched for a little over a month before my car popped up. Sounds like you're in no hurry, so I recommend waiting. I certainly don't think the prices will rise when the refreshed model comes out.

What is your budget?

Was hoping for around 45-50k. I plan to have this car long term, so I dont mind waiting to find the right one that makes sense for me. Im just eager :)

Was hoping for around 45-50k. I plan to have this car long term, so I dont mind waiting to find the right one that makes sense for me. Im just eager :)
A late 2016 AP2.0 would be in that range today and transfer free unlimited supercharging. They will always be depreciating. If you can afford it, I agree to start looking for the features you want.

Reactions: byeLT4
There are several good sources for used Tesla Model S. I purchased my current 2015 85D, from an uneducated used car dealer in Dayton Ohio. 73K miles, Titanium with tan next gen seats, AP1, Pano. It had unlimited supercharging. Needed new suspension (dog-bone) trailing arms. Paid $39,900. Currently she has 107K miles and no issues. There a used Model S's all over the country. I will purchase next time from a private party just for transparency reasons.

Attachments

• IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    645.9 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: EV-CPO
Little reason to wait until the refresh being delivered. Deliveries will be a slow roll out as there is going to be quite a waiting list for this new configuration, and it will take a while for the new assembly line to ramp up. They are intending to add a 2nd shift to respond the the greater demand.

Best to keep looking currently to see if the configuration you want pops up.

Amazing how many posts we see that people are waiting for one reason or another to make the step.

Agree with the recommendations to just start looking - I started looking in December and I’m taking delivery this week (2016.5 90d). It also takes some time to figure out what features are important so you can pay for what you really want. Lots of good resources here for that.

Agree with the recommendations to just start looking - I started looking in December and I’m taking delivery this week (2016.5 90d). It also takes some time to figure out what features are important so you can pay for what you really want. Lots of good resources here for that.

2016.5 90D is the ideal trim I'm looking for. When you were searching what websites did you visit most often? Its very frustrating calling dealerships who have no clue what the car includes and cant even answer basic questions about EAP/FSD let alone any other upgrade package that would be included.

I've been sticking to the marketplace forum here, as well as onlyusedtesla. Any other sites you would recommend following closely?

Reactions: N8Howell33
If you are looking for a $45k-$50k car, you should hold out a couple more months. If you were cross-shopping a Model 3 of the same price, there is no reason to sacrifice charge rate and longevity just for the looks. You need to wait for a 100D to come into that price range. This will give you the best charge rate and range, and you'll have a car that's a bit quicker than a LR Model 3. They are just about there price wise, so with the refresh and leases ending, there should be several hitting this price target within the next 3-6 months. Just remember to factor in the $1,500 for the MCU replacement. I just picked up my used 100D in November, so let me know if you have any questions.

Reactions: Greatsave35
2016.5 90D is the ideal trim I'm looking for. When you were searching what websites did you visit most often? Its very frustrating calling dealerships who have no clue what the car includes and cant even answer basic questions about EAP/FSD let alone any other upgrade package that would be included.

I've been sticking to the marketplace forum here, as well as onlyusedtesla. Any other sites you would recommend following closely?

I bought from Tesla. I used EV-CPO. Easy to filter by battery and features, then sort by price. My budget was low-mid 40s, so the 90d was a good fit and not too much a of range hit going from a model 3. If you are willing to pay up to 50k, 100d might be worth considering. I also paid less because the car was AP1. Also got every feature I wanted (it was loaded except for subzero) which is awesome.

Private is the other good option (agree to avoid dealers) but the cars that are priced well seem to go fast.

I bought from Tesla. I used EV-CPO. Easy to filter by battery and features, then sort by price. My budget was low-mid 40s, so the 90d was a good fit and not too much a of range hit going from a model 3. If you are willing to pay up to 50k, 100d might be worth considering. I also paid less because the car was AP1. Also got every feature I wanted (it was loaded except for subzero) which is awesome.

Private is the other good option (agree to avoid dealers) but the cars that are priced well seem to go fast.
Please update your recommendation that listed Tesla as the best overall option. Another thread you recently started now that you've got some first-hand experience with this process through Tesla would support what a lot of people on these forums say about how terrible the process is.

I think far too many people make posts similar to this that make it seem as if they've already bought a used car from Tesla and recommend them over the other options. Few people actually come back to update with their real world experience and then other people who are researching options find posts like this that make it seem like there's lots of happy Tesla used car buyers if you don't connect those dots.

I do think if you wait 3 months then the used S/X will be a couple grand cheaper by then. But FSD might be a couple grand more expensive.

I have the 3 but I want the S. My advice is to get the S because
- Exterior looks better
- Any of the S Suspensions are better than the bumpy 3/Y suspension.
- Cabin noise isolation is better in the S.

Suggest to only buy an S that includes at least 2 months of warranty, just to be safe. Two ways to do this are:
- Any car from tesla.com includes at least a year warranty
- Private party, original car delivery date is less than 4 years ago, with odometer 49K miles or less.
Suggest to get the vegan seats which started in 2016 for white, and around August 2017 for all other colors.
Good luck!

I do think if you wait 3 months then the used S/X will be a couple grand cheaper by then. But FSD might be a couple grand more expensive.

I have the 3 but I want the S. My advice is to get the S because
- Exterior looks better
- Any of the S Suspensions are better than the bumpy 3/Y suspension.
- Cabin noise isolation is better in the S.

Suggest to only buy an S that includes at least 2 months of warranty, just to be safe. Two ways to do this are:
- Any car from tesla.com includes at least a year warranty
- Private party, original car delivery date is less than 4 years ago, with odometer 49K miles or less.
Suggest to get the vegan seats which started in 2016 for white, and around August 2017 for all other colors.
Good luck!

As I stated above I had a 2018 LR RWD 3 and sold it to get a 2017 75 S. The downside is you lose some range, efficiency and the front row has less places to put things in than the 3. The upside is a better looking car inside and out (IMO), power rear lift gate (in the model 3 and Y now), more comfortable seats, better ride quality and more space. I used ev-CPO.com and you can sort by battery size, color, interior etc. I picked the 75 S because it was the best “value” to me. It had 44K miles, air suspension, glass roof, uncorked performance acceleration,19 inch sonic carbon wheels, cream interior and FSD (came with AP 2.5, got upgraded to 3.0 by mobile service). Tesla has since changed the warranty from 4 years to 1 additional year. You can sometimes get lucky (like I did) and use teslacpo.io and get pictures, otherwise you can reach out to ask for pictures of the car since you can’t see them on the site.

I personally have been looking for a new MS for about a year. I paid off my 13 s85 in 2019 and I have 161k miles on it. I used the refresh as an excuse to pull the trigger. I am very specific on what I wanted, 100D FSD low miles. Managed to grab a 2017 S 100D clean history black on black in your area (Coral Gables) for $54k. It has 17k miles on it. In my opinion very much worth paying half sticker price to get all of the features I wanted.

If battery size is not a concern, there were 1000's of 70D's in the market and prices seem to be dropping on them. Good time to find the RIGHT one for your taste!

I personally have been looking for a new MS for about a year. I paid off my 13 s85 in 2019 and I have 161k miles on it. I used the refresh as an excuse to pull the trigger. I am very specific on what I wanted, 100D FSD low miles. Managed to grab a 2017 S 100D clean history black on black in your area (Coral Gables) for $54k. It has 17k miles on it. In my opinion very much worth paying half sticker price to get all of the features I wanted.

If battery size is not a concern, there were 1000's of 70D's in the market and prices seem to be dropping on them. Good time to find the RIGHT one for your taste!
Where did you buy that from?