Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Model S - Please help with your opinions on these 2 options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Option #1 43k 2015 P85DL 107k miles, UFSC, MCU replaced, 21" turbine wheels with brand new tires, 19" slipstream wheels and winter tires, rear executive seats, premium interior package, ultra high fidelity audio, AP1, SAS March 2015 build so I believe it's the + suspension, home wall charger

Option #2 52k 2016 75D 36k miles, UFSC, extended b2b warranty until Feb 2023, 19" slip streams tires 5k, AP2 with EAP, Sentry mode, leather next gen seats, refreshed nose, everything else stock

It's possible you all say these are both too expensive but as of now the stock seems pretty limited around the country. I need the UFSC because of my commute. I am concerned about the charging speeds and know all the 85s are throttled but have read some accounts of the 75s being throttled as well. Thoughts and opinions appreciated. Even if it's just to tell me that these are both overpriced and to wait.

option 2 - you have a lot of time for warranty on the battery and drive units. I have a car very similar to option 2 and it's been great at 57000 miles as original owner so far with no major issues (AP2->3, FSD, late 2016 refresh 75D, Unlimited supercharging). and it has the latest AP2 which can be upgraded to AP3/FSD so it should have good value too as that car can do all the features of a current tesla with AP3/FSD capabilities whereas AP1 has no upgrades possible. option 1 you have no more warranty on the battery or motor right? and the older cars had more DU issues and DU and battery can be very expensive esp battery

option 2 - you have a lot of time for warranty on the battery and drive units. I have a car very similar to option 2 and it's been great at 57000 miles as original owner so far with no major issues and it has the latest AP2 which can be upgraded to AP3/FSD so it should have good value too as that car can do all the features of a current tesla with AP3/FSD capabilities whereas AP1 has no upgrades possible. (AP2->3, FSD, late 2016 refresh 75D). option 1 you have no more warranty on the battery or motor right? and the older cars had more DU issues.
Option 1 does have battery and motor warranty until March '23 unlimited miles.

Reactions: cybergates
oh, that's good! I guess one deciding factor then is how important is autopilot 1 vs. 2 to you? For me it was very important so I was glad in 2016 I was able to get AP2 and FSD at the opportune time.
Any thoughts on the pricing? They seem fair but I'm the type that really likes a value. Unfortunately, this is a 40th bday gift for myself and I'm not as patient as I would normally be. I had heard that AP1 is actually better on the highway than the AP2. What are your thoughts on your AP2?

I would probably go with option 2 only because of AP2. Since it's the way of the future why learn AP1.

The price of option 2 has me a little confused. 3 years ago I picked up my 2016-90d w/ 47k mi. Granted it has AP1 but it is fully loaded except for sunroof which I didn't want, and was 53k. (My avatar shows it on pick up day)

I would go with option #2 but not at that price. I realize the car market is a bit crazy right now but hopefully things will start to settle down a bit in the coming months as inventories and pricing begin to return to normal. Once deliveries of the 2022 MS get underway, there will likely be a flood of used MSs coming to market which should help bring prices down as well. If you don't need to buy now, I'd suggest waiting.

Reactions: Cape Coddess
I would probably go with option 2 only because of AP2. Since it's the way of the future why learn AP1.

The price of option 2 has me a little confused. 3 years ago I picked up my 2016-90d w/ 47k mi. Granted it has AP1 but it is fully loaded except for sunroof which I didn't want, and was 53k. (My avatar shows it on pick up day)
I think the prices are trending higher due to no new Teslas leaving the factory. There is a used car shortage in the US right now. I had a deal fall through because the delayed the MX delivery by 6-8 months. Every "good" deal I find is snatched quickly due to local buyers bringing cash. Unfortunately here in the Seattle area, there aren't many private party ones available and due to sales taxes incentives/creative accounting, private party has to be the way I go here.

I would go with option #2 but not at that price. I realize the car market is a bit crazy right now but hopefully things will start to settle down a bit in the coming months as inventories and pricing begin to return to normal. Once deliveries of the 2022 MS get underway, there will likely be a flood of used MSs coming to market which should help bring prices down as well. If you don't need to buy now, I'd suggest waiting.
But I really really want one now. LOL. This has turned into a full time job/obsession. I am usually not like this with purchases but I really can't shake it.

I guess there is a third option for me. I could find a high mileage MS that is still under battery and motor warranty, drive it and try to use it to make me some money on the side with Turo. I know we've all heard horror stories but I've also read that by making sure the driver is over 30 and renting for longer periods of time ensure a better customer. I could probably earn about 500-1k a month from that and just keep an eye out for one that I really want and is a good deal.

I'd definitely go with option #2: the new body style, AP2 is future proof, lower mileage, comfortable tires. If you spend $10,000 now or later for Full Self Driving, your Autopilot hardware will be upgraded to HW3 and you should also upgrade the UMC2.
I have a 2016 MS with AP1 and a 2017 MX with AP2 and FSD. What a difference! Go for it, perhaps the price is negotiable a little.

But I really really want one now. LOL. This has turned into a full time job/obsession. I am usually not like this with purchases but I really can't shake it.
It took two years for the one I wanted to show up. I made a list of everything I wanted and I wasn't going to budge. It could have more than what was on the list but it couldn't have less. It was worth the wait.

Maybe option four is lease one for now?

Honestly, I don’t like either option for that amount of money. $52k for a 2016 75D ? That’s insane. I just sold a 2016 P100D with 33k miles for $57.5k.
I’d wait for a good deal on a Model S 100D, or I’d go with a used Model 3 performance or Model Y.
Go on Turo and test a few models.

Reactions: SilverGS