Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Model S, what to look for?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Make sure you don't see this:

Batteries Not Included small.jpg

I just bought my second P85 - this time I got a used 2014 P85+ (P35386) with 16K miles and every option except rear jump seats - $79,999. Hope to pick up this weekend. I called the Rockville service center and they said the car has only been in for service and for one flat -they confirmed that it has every option, but the jump seats. I am super excited, as this is also a local car (40 miles away).

For those looking you can always call the SC and give them the VIN - i have checked on five cars, before I bought this one. I found several folks misrepresenting cars as fully loaded when they weren't. (most were missing parking sensors and sub zero weather pkg and red calibers and dual chargers )....especially the early production 2013's.... the owner is even throwing in the HPWC.....

Tongue in cheek - the oil was so clean, i couldn't actually see it , the emissions test passed, and spark plugs are the new invisible ones that last the lifetime of the car.. Also this is one of the nanny free (no auto pilot cars)....

I just bought my second P85 - this time I got a used 2014 P85+ (P35386) with 16K miles and every option except rear jump seats - $79,999. Hope to pick up this weekend. I called the Rockville service center and they said the car has only been in for service and for one flat -they confirmed that it has every option, but the jump seats. I am super excited, as this is also a local car (40 miles away).

For those looking you can always call the SC and give them the VIN - i have checked on five cars, before I bought this one. I found several folks misrepresenting cars as fully loaded when they weren't. (most were missing parking sensors and sub zero weather pkg and red calibers and dual chargers )....especially the early production 2013's.... the owner is even throwing in the HPWC.....

Tongue in cheek - the oil was so clean, i couldn't actually see it , the emissions test passed, and spark plugs are the new invisible ones that last the lifetime of the car.. Also this is one of the nanny free (no auto pilot cars)....

It may be that the car was fully loaded at the time it was ordered. Parking sensors, red calipers, and sub zero all came later. The seller may not be purposely misrepresenting their car.

True - but they really should spell out what the car has -- a novice buyer would never know parking sensors were mid 2013, red calipers late 2013 etc.... it took me months of looking to break all the codes and I have a P85 now... prior to buying the P85+ so I knew what to look for. Most sellers can't even tell you the manufacture date or where to check to find the date (drivers door jam)...

this is the hardest part about looking for a used tesla. Most sellers don't say what options the car has, and if they do they usually only say which packages, but that doesn't help if the contents of that option package have changed. I wish they'd all do a full list (and not one of those ridiculous ones that last "power windows, air conditioning, power steering" etc etc etc,)