Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Model X - Advice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings Model Xers! I am an early adopter Model 3 owner. 18 months old and 56k miles. Love to drive it. My wife and I have made a steady move towards leaving a smaller carbon footprint. We installed solar panels late last year and now we're looking to dump her gas car and replace it with an EV. I love smaller vehicles and she loves something more substantial in size. I originally thought the X was way out of my league but I've seen some Model Xs hitting below the $50k mark. I don't want to go too small as far as battery is concerned and I want dual motors. I was heartened to see a 60D for sale recently under $50k and the owner said it could be software unlocked to 75. However, I'm seeing on the forums that Tesla has stopped doing this. If this is the case, I'll have to buy a 75D or 90D. My long path to the point - Is there any reason for concern about buying a 2016 model? More problems with this year than others? What advice as far as what should I really keep my eye open for in regard to possible trouble down the road? Keep in mind that I am looking outside of Tesla's website (no warranty) as well as inside of it while shopping. Thanks in advance!

Ha. Thanks for the reply (and the inclusion of the thread). I was beginning to think my original post was invisible. My wife loves SUVs and with both of us getting older, I think we'd both appreciate a vehicle with a bit higher stance; especially in a few more years. You have answered one question in my mind and that's not to buy, under any circumstances, a used X unless I buy it directly from Tesla with the 4 year/100k mile warranty included.

All the X have dual motors, and adjustable height air suspensions.

Battery size, that you can get away with, will depend on your personal range needs.

For anything other than long distance travel, the smaller packs will still give more range than most of the other EVs of the same era.

Many of the earlier X had the capability to software unlock their batteries if the owner's needs changed. Need to check with Tesla to see if the specific one you are looking at has this ability.

2016 was the first year availability, and of course they had more teething issues than the later builds, however this will be reflected in the asking prices.

Recently X had a major price decrease and the addition of many desirable features as standard (adaptable suspension, greater range, faster charging). It may well result in decreasing prices for the older models as well.

My previous X had a 75. Mused that it was the largest Tesla...with the smallest battery.

Never felt put out with charging times on longer trips. Just went with the flow and enjoyed the breaks from the driving.

On the other hand, my new Raven is pure luxury with it's longer range and smoother ride :)

Reactions: KentuckyX
Is there any reason for concern about buying a 2016 model? More problems with this year than others? What advice as far as what should I really keep my eye open for in regard to possible trouble down the road? Keep in mind that I am looking outside of Tesla's website (no warranty) as well as inside of it while shopping. Thanks in advance!

I'll be brutally honest.

I love our X 2017 build date, its the best car we have owned as a family, 30k miles done in 2 years, we live in the UK which is a tiny country so range isn't an issue.

HOWEVER, I consider us lucky to NOT have a 'lemon' car, but since January this year our less than 2 years old car has had 5 (FIVE) service/mobile tech visits for various reasons.

Just a few weeks ago it had to be towed as the front suspension arms failed, last week the door latch failed and I couldn't lock the door!!

I've also had a new drivers seat, new key fobs, steering wheel, passenger door actuator, MCU screen, FWD sensors, currently awaiting new drive shafts. This is on a car just 2 years old and covered only 30k.

Our other car is a Lexus, coming up to 5 years old, can you guess how many times I've had to call Lexus service for repairs in that time.....zero, nill, not once.

I say again our X is the best car we have owned, ever, but you can tell Tesla is a brand new company still learning about how to build cars properly, comparing the build quality of our Lexus to our Tesla is like comparing the work of a high school kid to a Harvard Professor, except the high school kid is asking for £70k+ for their work versus £30k for the Prof, but equally you know who will be more interesting road trip buddy.

Buy a 2016 X with your eyes open, its best to think of these cars as wacky experiments that bring a bit of fun to the daily commute, rather than a polished machine from a company like Lexus. Set your expectations appropriately and you wouldnt be disappointed.

Would I trade in our X for a Lexus RX450H? Not a chance, but do I wish Tesla learn from Lexus on how to build a reliable car, 100%!!

Last edited:
Good summary. Tesla are some of the best cars ever on the planet, however they have their own issues.

Some get them and are amazed at how reliable and great to drive they are...others feel that they have more than their fair share of issues.

To be fair, Lexus has also had their fair share of recalls and issues, they, along with Toyota have a great reputation for quality and reliability.

Lexus and Toyota also have a reputation of being some of the most boring cars to drive ever. Tesla are revolutionizing automobile transportation, but can have quirks as well.

I have always chosen the odd ball cars, with personality, to own. VW Beatle, Corvair, Corvette, Jaguar, Rolls Royce, Viper, BMW, Mercedes, Isetta, and even a Gull Wing Bricklin. Many of these have proven to be less than perfect in reliability, but they have given me enjoyment far beyond what I might have expected.

Tesla are still a bit goofy. Gotta plug them in instead of filling with Gasoline. They have limited range and Superchargers are less readily available than gas stations. They do not have service centers in every town and you order them from the internet, instead of bargaining for them at independent dealerships. They indeed are different. Gotta take that into consideration before making the big step.

Believe they will be our future, as cities are beginning to restrict the use of gassers in their city centers. See this in Europe where gassers must park outside the city center and you then take a bus into the main sections. Hybrids can run on gas outside the ring road, but must be able to switch to electric drive beyond the ring road. Maybe coming to American cities as well.

Agreed w/gangzoom "... its best to think of these cars as wacky experiments...". With that said, they are awesome experiments that have the potential to provide many years of reliable enjoyment...

With Tesla's being to reliant on tech and Tesla still working out their quality processes, I am of the opinion it is better to error on the side of caution (warranty) than risk (no warranty).

To hedge against making a bad purchase, we used ev-CPO.com to find a used one with a warranty :).

Good luck in your search!

I'd like to get at least the 75D battery so we can travel in it, if we want. I went to Florida in my LR 3 last month with a Thule cargo box on top and it really knocked my range down. I know I'll have to stop as much in the X, but I don't mind.

I think you will find trips rather... tedious. In my opinion an EV should have a 400 mile range to make trips as easy as with an ICE. With a larger battery in a model X you still don't have enough range to go the distance you likely would like to go before stopping to refuel. So instead of having time to get a sit down meal, you will have three opportunities to grab a burger while driving 400 miles. The problem is not just the range, but the need to stop where the chargers are located. A 75 kWh worn battery in a model X is going to get you well less than 200 miles and so on many routes you will need to charge at nearly every opportunity. In a 100X I found this to be rather tedious when I drove from the Washington, DC area to Houston once. Many places don't even have a Supercharger (like New Orleans) so you need to go beyond the sort of planning the car will help you with to make sure you can get where you are going. As of my trip last year relatively few hotels have charging facilities which can serve to replace Supercharging if you stay overnight. The one which had a charger didn't do much to promote it, so I didn't know it was there until the next morning and I suggested they add charging. lol

if you get a used 75 kWh battery remember it will most likely have 5 to 10% less capacity from wear.

On the other hand, I don't think I would recommend a used Tesla model X to anyone. They are much more likely to have issues and repair costs will eat you alive. I'm dreading the day my warranty ends. I'm pretty firm about keeping the car because of the free Supercharging. But I may have to sell it to prevent an ulcer.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen any sort of pre-owned Model X "buyer's guide" or things to look out for/common issues in the model X by year?

Would be super grateful for something like this (and ChatGPT doesn't seem able to do this very well yet, see following).

... (as of) September 2021. Here are some common issues that were reported for Tesla Model X by year:

Tesla Model X (2015):
1. Falcon Wing Doors: Some owners reported issues with the complex Falcon Wing doors, including sensor calibration problems, squeaking noises, and malfunctioning in certain weather conditions.
2. Front Suspension: A few early Model Xs experienced issues with the front suspension, leading to some knocking sounds and abnormal tire wear.

Tesla Model X (2016-2017):
1. Rear Seat Issues: Some owners reported problems with the second-row seats not folding or latching correctly.
2. Door Handle Failures: The automatic retracting door handles on some Model Xs experienced malfunctions.
3. MCU (Media Control Unit) Failure: Some owners faced issues with the main infotainment screen freezing or becoming unresponsive.

Tesla Model X (2018-2019):
1. Windshield and Water Leaks: A few owners reported water leaks from the panoramic windshield or the Falcon Wing doors.
2. Control Arm and Suspension Components: There were reports of suspension components needing replacement due to wear and tear.
3. Drive Unit Noise: Some owners reported unusual noises coming from the drive unit.
4. MCU2 Upgrade: Early Model Xs equipped with MCU1 might require an upgrade to MCU2 for improved performance and features.

Tesla Model X (2020-2021):
While some earlier issues might still apply to these model years, newer Model Xs typically have improved build quality and fewer reported problems due to ongoing refinements in production.

Remember, if you buy from TESLAS used inventory you get the remaining warranty on the car + 1 yr/10,000 mile additional warranty.

I went with a 2019 100D and it was great, low mileage, still under the original warranty + I got the additional 1 yr/10,000 mile warranty on top. I ended up trading up to a new 2023 X (not plaid) and love it.

Has anyone seen any sort of pre-owned Model X "buyer's guide" or things to look out for/common issues in the model X by year?

Would be super grateful for something like this (and ChatGPT doesn't seem able to do this very well yet, see following).

... (as of) September 2021. Here are some common issues that were reported for Tesla Model X by year:

Tesla Model X (2015):
1. Falcon Wing Doors: Some owners reported issues with the complex Falcon Wing doors, including sensor calibration problems, squeaking noises, and malfunctioning in certain weather conditions.
2. Front Suspension: A few early Model Xs experienced issues with the front suspension, leading to some knocking sounds and abnormal tire wear.

Tesla Model X (2016-2017):
1. Rear Seat Issues: Some owners reported problems with the second-row seats not folding or latching correctly.
2. Door Handle Failures: The automatic retracting door handles on some Model Xs experienced malfunctions.
3. MCU (Media Control Unit) Failure: Some owners faced issues with the main infotainment screen freezing or becoming unresponsive.

Tesla Model X (2018-2019):
1. Windshield and Water Leaks: A few owners reported water leaks from the panoramic windshield or the Falcon Wing doors.
2. Control Arm and Suspension Components: There were reports of suspension components needing replacement due to wear and tear.
3. Drive Unit Noise: Some owners reported unusual noises coming from the drive unit.
4. MCU2 Upgrade: Early Model Xs equipped with MCU1 might require an upgrade to MCU2 for improved performance and features.

Tesla Model X (2020-2021):
While some earlier issues might still apply to these model years, newer Model Xs typically have improved build quality and fewer reported problems due to ongoing refinements in production.

Wherever you got the list it is suspect as the model X does not have retracting door handles. I think they're conflating model S and model X issues.