TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Buying a used MS

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Kenriko, May 6, 2016.

1. Kenriko

Kenriko Member

May 5, 2016
    Bay Area
    I'm looking at buying a used MS and have a few questions, first I'll give a bit of background.

I'm a Software Engineer in the Bay Area as such I make a decent income. (heyoo from san mateo) Generally I buy off lease luxury cars, previously I had a G35 Coupe and currently I'm driving a Lexus IS250. I had been planning on getting a Model 3 when then came out but baby #2 is on the way and my wife threw in a wretch that the next vehicle must be 7 passenger (To accommodate carseats + mother in law) o_O. I checked the options and had resigned to the fact that I would likely be buying a MDX or Lexus GX until I noticed that used MS were down to the low 50s for 2013 MSs that are relatively low mile (15 - 30k) which seems pretty reasonable. (Woohoo 7 passenger requirement met, throw the mother in law in the back)

Timeline for purchase is about a year I'll likely start looking at the end of 2016. I would like to find a car in the 40-45k range and I'm hoping they'll come down to that price range by the time I'm ready to purchase.

So onto the questions:

1) 60kwh has enough range for my current driving habits (around 150mi/wk) is it possible to upgrade to a larger pack at some point in the future (even if it requires some, ahem software ingenuity) or is there some hardware limitation other then the battery in the 60kwh model?

2) I know the 2.0s came out in 2014 and the next refresh is here. Are there any major deal breakers in a 60kwh or 85kwh single drive from 2013ish? For example early Porsche Caymans (2006) had a nasty habit of becoming oil starved and ruining the motor.

3) Are the drive unit failures still a large issue even if they have been replaced?

4) Any special financing issues (or benefits) that you would not find on a normal ICE car? I would be putting 10-15k down.

5) Anything else I should know?

6) Looking for a White w black/tan interior with the rear facing seats, lowish miles and in the $4x range sell me your baby. :p
  2. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Get in touch with a CPO advisor. If your good with a 60 the car you want exists and I passed up on one for $44k that had rfs amongst other options because it was a 60 and went with an 85 that can have rfs added for a few k
  3. Eugene Ash

Eugene Ash Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Issaquah, WA
    I'm on the same boat, 2x babies + >1 passengers to transport. Decided to make memories in a new 70d due to sleep deprivation demanding autopilot. I rear-ended our clean diesel , so autopilot was a must, and i heavily recommend it.

There are a couple of options on e-bay now and there was a sig p85 with rear seats recently for low 50s.

Tesla does not upgrade 60 kw ones now, although they could. It is technically possible, though. Look for wk057 skienet blog, where he had a writeup on how to.

Keep hunting, talk to cpo advisors, don't settle for ice :)
  4. Jo-

Jo- Member

Jul 24, 2015
    Shiloh, IL
    I have a CPO 60 with RFS on the way, 44.9K...saved me from a minivan.
    • Love x 1