Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Used MX (2016-2017) Final Checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Group!
We are happy 2015 MS 85D owners looking to purchase a used model X and given the concerns I have read, would appreciate the input of owners on what to look out for. Our budget will not stretch to include much newer or 100D examples.

I have read through many of the threads and tried to educate myself on possible issues but now it's getting close to decision time and I am hoping to enlist your help in ensuring I have asked all of the right questions.

Here is what I know about one vehicle we are interested in:
2016 MX 90D
55k km (34k miles); Basic AP (option to upgrade)
Fixes so far:
Rear drive replaced
FWD seals replaced
Front control arms replaced
12V battery replaced
MCU2 replaced (upgraded?)
Screen border yellowing fixed
Brand new tyres (2nd set after original)
Body in very good condition. Full warranty expired (except for drive and battery)

I have learned that 2016’s had more issues generally but this one appears to have had most of them sorted. Or has it?

The car will go to Tesla SC shortly and the owner has offered to have them look into any concerns I may have. What should I ask for?

Reactions: brainhouston
for 2016, its important what month, they switched to AP2 in October and lots of things got re-designed.
how much battery/drive warranty remains? n if that matters to u
battery version, look at label, if its 108* its v3 (best one, less degradation)
i think battery heater is often dying on these n similar legacy ones, not fully sure how to test (pre-heat from app?)

i have Sept 2016 one with 82kmi, 4k driven by me, no major issues. no warranty of any kind either :)

for 2016, its important what month, they switched to AP2 in October and lots of things got re-designed.
how much battery/drive warranty remains? n if that matters to u
battery version, look at label, if its 108* its v3 (best one, less degradation)
i think battery heater is often dying on these n similar legacy ones, not fully sure how to test (pre-heat from app?)

i have Sept 2016 one with 82kmi, 4k driven by me, no major issues. no warranty of any kind either :)
It's a November 2016 build. I think that means MCU2 was standard. Not sure about the battery... where is that label?

MCU2 wasn't standard until like April 2018.
Might have been Mid-March 2018. There was thread here discussing it and other changes for Spring 2018.

I purchased my X 75 in 2018 and during the test drive drove one with the old MCU which was very slow. I was very happy when I received the car in June it had MCU2 which was much faster. Also had different (and better IMHO) interior color and material combinations.

Hi Group!
We are happy 2015 MS 85D owners looking to purchase a used model X and given the concerns I have read, would appreciate the input of owners on what to look out for. Our budget will not stretch to include much newer or 100D examples.

I have read through many of the threads and tried to educate myself on possible issues but now it's getting close to decision time and I am hoping to enlist your help in ensuring I have asked all of the right questions.

Here is what I know about one vehicle we are interested in:
2016 MX 90D
55k km (34k miles); Basic AP (option to upgrade)
Fixes so far:
Rear drive replaced
FWD seals replaced
Front control arms replaced
12V battery replaced
MCU2 replaced (upgraded?)
Screen border yellowing fixed
Brand new tyres (2nd set after original)
Body in very good condition. Full warranty expired (except for drive and battery)

I have learned that 2016’s had more issues generally but this one appears to have had most of them sorted. Or has it?

The car will go to Tesla SC shortly and the owner has offered to have them look into any concerns I may have. What should I ask for?

Those area good start.

Window regulators all work? ~$550

Center console door works? ~$300

All speakers work and not blown? ~$250 for one door speaker

Check all seat heaters and their recline/forward/back controls. One of my rear seats would not tilt and it was expensive. ~$3700

Half shafts? ~$600 + alignment

Clevis mount has been updated, but it's not a recall so you would pay out of pocket. ~$185

Same with the steering U-joint. ~$200

Does the spoiler retract? Listen to the motor. Does it sound strained? ~$1200

Auto-present doors acting up? ~$550

Reactions: OK-S
I have the same build month. The door latches at build were the old loud and problematic latching system. I upgraded mine a few years ago for both doors for $700 USD. It is worth it. Most have failed and forced to upgrade since the origonal parts are no longer availbable.

Things to note, PUP was not standard. Does it include PUP? Does it have the upgraded Sound, Tow, or charging options? They were not standard. It could include unique options such as paint and trim wood that have been discontinued since. Suipercharging should be free and transferable for that build month.

Reactions: OK-S
Those area good start.

Window regulators all work? ~$550

Center console door works? ~$300

All speakers work and not blown? ~$250 for one door speaker

Check all seat heaters and their recline/forward/back controls. One of my rear seats would not tilt and it was expensive. ~$3700

Half shafts? ~$600 + alignment

Clevis mount has been updated, but it's not a recall so you would pay out of pocket. ~$185

Same with the steering U-joint. ~$200

Does the spoiler retract? Listen to the motor. Does it sound strained? ~$1200

Auto-present doors acting up? ~$550
Great additional ones, thanks! As it happens, during the check-up, Tesla SC offered to replace the half-shafts even though no shuddering was observed. Alignment to be done as well. Spoiler is not retractable, so that's not an issue. I'll go through the rest on my next inspection. Thanks again!

Reactions: ngng
I have the same build month. The door latches at build were the old loud and problematic latching system. I upgraded mine a few years ago for both doors for $700 USD. It is worth it. Most have failed and forced to upgrade since the origonal parts are no longer availbable.

Things to note, PUP was not standard. Does it include PUP? Does it have the upgraded Sound, Tow, or charging options? They were not standard. It could include unique options such as paint and trim wood that have been discontinued since. Suipercharging should be free and transferable for that build month.
No, not a Performance Upgrade car. A tow package is included, and the faster-charging option was installed. It has the "Premium Sound", but back then it was only 9 instead of 15 speakers apparently? Yes, lifetime Supercharging. I will have to look at those latches more closely.

BTW, did you find 7-seats a better option? I have also been presented with a 6-seat with a middle console vehicle alternative. Don't have kids or dog but wasn't sure about last-row access differences?

Were both control arm sets up front replaced? Suspension is a big wear item on the X. I have an early 2016, and just recently had to do both lower sets and the rear camber and toe arms. I also had the front brakes/rotors replaced. Was about $6k USD all said and done.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Were both control arm sets up front replaced? Suspension is a big wear item on the X. I have an early 2016, and just recently had to do both lower sets and the rear camber and toe arms. I also had the front brakes/rotors replaced. Was about $6k USD all said and done.
Regreasing the boots on the UCA’s can stop the creaking.

On that note, if refreshing the suspension this is a good place to start.

Reactions: basilray
Regreasing the boots on the UCA’s can stop the creaking.

On that note, if refreshing the suspension this is a good place to start.

I wasn't super clear: There are fore and aft lower control arms, or at least there are on the Performance. I had to get both sets done.

Tesla replaced the fore arms, as they were sqeaking pretty bad. They said everything else was "in spec". I immediately noticed a big jump in consumption, I went from avg wh/mi of 360 to running about 460wh/mi. I also had some screeching I thought might be brake related. Tesla looked at it again, and said I was just driving it hard... Unfortunately, I failed to notice my tires went from 5/32 to 3/32 in 1 week and 900mi of driving.

Third party shop looked it over. Bushings on the aft lower control arms were shot, and it was out of alignment. They replaced those arms and I had to get new tires given the massive wear between Tesla assuring me everything was in spec.

When they went to align it, the bolts were stretched in the rear, so they got it w/in 1deg on the camber. I had to get the rear camber and toe arms done as well to get it back into alignment. The alignment and control arms the 3rd party did brought me right back into average expected consumption.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
Great additional ones, thanks! As it happens, during the check-up, Tesla SC offered to replace the half-shafts even though no shuddering was observed. Alignment to be done as well. Spoiler is not retractable, so that's not an issue. I'll go through the rest on my next inspection. Thanks again!

Good luck! Also, 100% would recommend an XCare warranty.

No, not a Performance Upgrade car. A tow package is included, and the faster-charging option was installed. It has the "Premium Sound", but back then it was only 9 instead of 15 speakers apparently? Yes, lifetime Supercharging. I will have to look at those latches more closely.

BTW, did you find 7-seats a better option? I have also been presented with a 6-seat with a middle console vehicle alternative. Don't have kids or dog but wasn't sure about last-row access differences?

I have a 6 seater and it has a decent amount of room. The extra seats are nice. But, I would have loved a 2nd row bench that folded completely down. It's just annoying enough that I have to pack carefully if we have a lot of gear.

Double checking on MCU2 - owner was not sure but as it has all of the FSD options I'm thinking it has to have it.
Under the menu Software:

If it has
Autopilot Computer: Full self-drive Computer then it has AP 3 or higher. My 2017 Model X was upgraded from MCU 1 to MCU 2 and they upgraded my AP2.5 to AP 3 for free. It used to say Autopilot Computer: AP 2.5 Computer or something like that.

Under the menu Software:

If it has
Autopilot Computer: Full self-drive Computer then it has AP 3 or higher. My 2017 Model X was upgraded from MCU 1 to MCU 2 and they upgraded my AP2.5 to AP 3 for free. It used to say Autopilot Computer: AP 2.5 Computer or something like that.
question tho:
can AP3 exist with MCU1 or MCU2 is a requirement for HW3?
i don't know enough about that...