Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Used MX (2016-2017) Final Checklist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that the vehicle in consideration is still on MCU 1 despite a failure in 2020 when another MCU 1 was installed. This leaves me wondering if any further AP upgrades will first require both MCU and HW upgrades? Are these typically included in the activation upgrade costs displayed in the car? This one shows three levels on offer up to full FSD.

Interesting that the vehicle in consideration is still on MCU 1 despite a failure in 2020 when another MCU 1 was installed. This leaves me wondering if any further AP upgrades will first require both MCU and HW upgrades? Are these typically included in the activation upgrade costs displayed in the car? This one shows three levels on offer up to full FSD.
Because it was a 2016 Model X, you don't just need MCU and AP computer upgrade for FSD, you also need to upgrade the cameras because the car came with HW 2.0. If you have 2017 MX with HW 2.5, then it is just MCU 2 and AP computer upgrade in order to use FSD. If you buy FSD, I think Tesla will do the AP computer and camera upgrades for you but you will have to check. You may still have to pay for the MCU 2 upgrade but again you have to check.

When we first got our 2017 Model X, MCU 1 was running fine. But with all the things added and such to each software update....it just felt so slow on everything by 2020. You will really want to have that MCU 2 upgrade.

Reactions: OK-S
Because it was a 2016 Model X, you don't just need MCU and AP computer upgrade for FSD, you also need to upgrade the cameras because the car came with HW 2.0. If you have 2017 MX with HW 2.5, then it is just MCU 2 and AP computer upgrade in order to use FSD. If you buy FSD, I think Tesla will do the AP computer and camera upgrades for you but you will have to check. You may still have to pay for the MCU 2 upgrade but again you have to check.

When we first got our 2017 Model X, MCU 1 was running fine. But with all the things added and such to each software update....it just felt so slow on everything by 2020. You will really want to have that MCU 2 upgrade.
Agreed. I updated my MS for the reason you state even though it could never get to FSD.

I was surprised the 2016's missed out, and that to just get to my AP1 level on this MX will cost nearly A$10k! Over A$7k more for the FSD update. This now puts in competition with other newer vehicles with these options already included.

Something for others to consider as it may not be clear to the seller or buyer what state these systems are at or the expense of upgrades.

Just an update - and one that increased the confusion!

I did buy the 2016 MX with MCU1 and HW 2 (original cameras, including single lens front) and have now activated the smart cruise (radar) through the App. This is stage one, with EAP and FSD as further upgrades once the basic is activated (I didn't realize that one needed the other first).

I have decided to go with MCU2 though this is not a requirement according to Tesla SC or the purchase process to get EAP or FSD. It was certainly unnecessary to turn on smart cruise.

In fact, I asked about the need for upgraded cameras (including 3-lens front) to get FSD, and they told me it was unnecessary and not an option, even if it was in other markets (we are in Australia).

So how can this be? Will FSD still work well with the original frontal camera because I still have radar? Everything I have read so far indicates that all of the cameras would need upgrading but Tesla says "no".

It would be good to hear from any 2016/17 MX owners who are running FSD on their original hardware - if there are any?!

I did buy the 2016 MX with MCU1 and HW 2 (original cameras, including single lens front) and have now activated the smart cruise (radar) through the App. This is stage one, with EAP and FSD as further upgrades once the basic is activated (I didn't realize that one needed the other first).
You have many conflicting statements. HW2 did not have a single lens front camera. All HW2 or AP 2.0 late (Nov 16 or later builds) came with the triple front, side and b-pillar cameras.

Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap

If you have the single front camera, then you have HW 1 OR AP 1.0. There are no upgrade options for FSD or EAP. So, you can see the rest of your statements are relevant to HW 1 AP 1.0 only causing your confusion thinking you have AP 2.0 vehicle. Look at your build date. If it is before Nov 2016, you have an HW 1 vehicle. Sorry to inform you of that.

Good news is the MCU 2 upgrade still makes since for you since it will improve all aspects of your experience as compared to MCU 1. Navigation, overall performance, and voice commands will work great. I am sure you are experiencing lags in those areas now. When I had MCU 1 the voice commands were useless.

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
It's a November 2016 build. I think that means MCU2 was standard. Not sure about the battery... where is that label?
Reading back at your posts, your post indicates you have to have a HW 2 vehicle if in fact you have a Nov 2016 build. They literally stopped the line for 3 weeks in October 2016 and switched all vehicle over to HW 2. But, your last statement said you have only the single camera in the front. You need to check again. In the front camera housing should contain three cameras/lens visible looking through the front windshield. The other key indicators are the side and b-pillar cameras. If you have those, then you definitely have HW 2 vehicle. So, can you verify that first. The single lens front camera is not possible with a Nov 2016 build. My vehicle was one of the Xs that was on the line when it was stopped and switched over to HW 2.

Okay, I will have another look perhaps I am imagining that there is only a single lens/camera! The housing certainly appears smaller than for my AP1. I can verify with certainty that it has the other cameras so user error is likely!

Assuming it indeed has the 3 frontal cameras, why is there a discrepency on a further upgrade being necessary for the cameras on some vehicles? Some on TMC are saying it is necessary and part of the FSD upgrade requirement. Is this linked to later vehicles not having radar?

This was from Tesla-info with the following relevant quotes to this issue, but no final answer:
"While Tesla have been keen to suggest that all cars built since their version of Autopilot came out in late 2016, now known as HW2, would support autopilot and they would offer free upgrades to anyone should they need it, Tesla have started to release features that do not work on all hardware versions, much to the annoyance of some owners although its primarily HW2 owners who are missing out,

"The problem Tesla have is maintaining backward comparability as even HW2 were sold as having everything needed for Full Self Driving. While upgrades are taking place for cars who have the FSD option, we suspect the real challenge will be in the performance of regular Autopilot features on cars with lower levels of AP hardware. This seems to be illustrated with HW3 cars being able to see and report cones and not the earlier versions and mixed reactions to cars detecting speed limits depending on AP hardware."

This was from Tesla-info with the following relevant quotes to this issue, but no final answer:
"While Tesla have been keen to suggest that all cars built since their version of Autopilot came out in late 2016, now known as HW2, would support autopilot and they would offer free upgrades to anyone should they need it, Tesla have started to release features that do not work on all hardware versions, much to the annoyance of some owners although its primarily HW2 owners who are missing out,

"The problem Tesla have is maintaining backward comparability as even HW2 were sold as having everything needed for Full Self Driving. While upgrades are taking place for cars who have the FSD option, we suspect the real challenge will be in the performance of regular Autopilot features on cars with lower levels of AP hardware. This seems to be illustrated with HW3 cars being able to see and report cones and not the earlier versions and mixed reactions to cars detecting speed limits depending on AP hardware."
If you purchase FSD, I can confirm that Tesla will upgrade your Cameras and AP computer for free making your vehicle HW 3. If you subscribe to FSD, the upgrades to HW 3 will come at a cost. In countries where FSD software is available, they will prioritize those upgrades. If not available in your country, then they may delay the upgrade until the software is available. All US vehicles are eligible for the hardware and software upgrades since the software is available. The MCU 1 to 2 upgrade is your expense. I would highly recommend it. It does unlock many additional software features.

One more item that you need to validate is what level of Auto Pilot was purchased. There was 3 levels for the November 2016 builds; Auto Pilot basic, Enhanced Auto Pilot, and FSD. There will be different costs dependent on the original purchase. The only path that is considered free upgrades was the purchase of FSD. It would show on the original sales document as Enhanced Auto Pilot ($5000) and Full Self Drive ($3000).

Last edited:
  • Informative
If you purchase FSD, I can confirm that Tesla will upgrade your Cameras and AP computer for free making your vehicle HW 3. If you subscribe to FSD, the upgrades to HW 3 will come at a cost. In countries where FSD software is available, they will prioritize those upgrades. If not available in your country, then they may delay the upgrade until the software is available. All US vehicles are eligible for the hardware and software upgrades since the software is available. The MCU 1 to 2 upgrade is your expense. I would highly recommend it. It does unlock many additional software features.

One more item that you need to validate is what level of Auto Pilot was purchased. There was 3 levels for the November 2016 builds; Auto Pil
IMG_0345.jpeg
ot basic, Enhanced Auto Pilot, and FSD. There will be different costs dependent on the original purchase. The only path that is considered free upgrades was the purchase of FSD. It would show on the original sales document as Enhanced Auto Pilot ($5000) and Full Self Drive ($3000).
Thank you for your detailed reply. I can confirm that I was finally able to get a closer look and now see the two additional cameras. My bad for not picking them out.

While I have scheduled MCU2 to be added I was considering what else could be readied on the MX to improve its current capabilities and prepare it for EAP or FSD should I wish to go there next.

My question about this to the SC elicited the reply that there is no upgrade available or on offer. The response included a comment that other markets may be different and that FSD will work with my current HW2 cameras. This sounds contradictory to your advice and those of others.

Can it be that in some countries, FSD is configured differently to work with original cameras and radar

question tho:
can AP3 exist with MCU1 or MCU2 is a requirement for HW3?
i don't know enough about that...

Yes, I have a Dec' 2016 X w/ MCU1 and HW3, the visualisations aren't as smooth on MCU1, but that has nothing to do with AP's driving performance. Any Tesla with B-pillar cameras can be upgraded to HW3, it may require a new AP computer and camera retrofit, but if one of the owners paid for FSD Tesla will do the retrofit for free.