Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used second charger.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

icon5.gif

I want to add a Dual Charger to my single charger S. But, I'm not too thrilled about paying $3600.

What about buying one off of a salvaged vehicle. Even it it does check out as mint, any reasons why I shouldn't do this?

I'm not sure, but every time I've asked my service center to help me out with installations, and whatnot, they've always been helpful and friendly. (They even installed my wheels that I did NOT buy from them), so, it's probable that they WOULD install the charger for me.

But what are your thoughts on this?

-Ronnie​

icon5.gif

I want to add a Dual Charger to my single charger S. But, I'm not too thrilled about paying $3600.

What about buying one off of a salvaged vehicle. Even it it does check out as mint, any reasons why I shouldn't do this?

I'm not sure, but every time I've asked my service center to help me out with installations, and whatnot, they've always been helpful and friendly. (They even installed my wheels that I did NOT buy from them), so, it's probable that they WOULD install the charger for me.

But what are your thoughts on this?

-Ronnie​

If the main inverter (NOT charger) is not programmed to talk to the slave inverter (NOT charger), the slave inverter will not handle any power. And getting Tesla to install an inverter is not like installing tires on wheels.

You probably have figured this out already, but just in case not, it won't work. Bad idea.

But just in case they do, please let us know so we can go get easy cheap fixes to upgrade our cars to P85Ds with 110 kWh batteries.