TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Buying a used second charger.

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by RonnieKorbas, Feb 16, 2015.

1. RonnieKorbas

RonnieKorbas Member

icon5.gif Buying a used second charger.

I want to add a Dual Charger to my single charger S. But, I'm not too thrilled about paying $3600.

What about buying one off of a salvaged vehicle. Even it it does check out as mint, any reasons why I shouldn't do this?

I'm not sure, but every time I've asked my service center to help me out with installations, and whatnot, they've always been helpful and friendly. (They even installed my wheels that I did NOT buy from them), so, it's probable that they WOULD install the charger for me.

But what are your thoughts on this?

-Ronnie ​

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Same answers as you got in the other thread. There are lot of reasons why you shouldn't do it.

3. roblab

roblab Active Member

If the main inverter (NOT charger) is not programmed to talk to the slave inverter (NOT charger), the slave inverter will not handle any power. And getting Tesla to install an inverter is not like installing tires on wheels.

You probably have figured this out already, but just in case not, it won't work. Bad idea.

But just in case they do, please let us know so we can go get easy cheap fixes to upgrade our cars to P85Ds with 110 kWh batteries.

4. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

i think its a great idea - make sure you get two so I can buy the other one.