Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Tesla 3 advice...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided that I woudl like to try a Tesla 3. I prefer buying a used one.
I know that Tesla know sells used cars. However, not much inventory.
Also, checked out the usual car web sites. I am no stranger to buying and selling cars though such portals. However, I was surprised to see the used car asking prices. Many close to to new price.

What should I expect to pay for a long range, with a premium paint, regular wheels?
What is the best place to look for used Teslas?

Also, checked out the usual car web sites. I am no stranger to buying and selling cars though such portals. However, I was surprised to see the used car asking prices. Many close to to new price.

What should I expect to pay for a long range, with a premium paint, regular wheels?
Used car prices are negotiable. Whatever is on the lot you can “build” at Tesla website. Subtract federal rebate. Then subtract whatever amount would encourage you to buy used than new. A lot of the used ones are trying to make money by pricing it as if they hadn’t gotten a federal rebate and seem to be high. But offer what you feel car is worth. Make sure you verify things like FSD, check car fax, etc.

Reactions: Jeff Davlt

If the only reason you want a used one is to save a few bucks then don't waste your time. Remember, many of the used examples for sale were purchased when prices were a bit higher and the Federal Tax credit has been long spent. :D You have to wait for the Model 3 used market to mature a bit before used prices will come down.

Autotrader - Tesla Model 3 Search

Why do you "prefer to buy a used one"? If its price, the price of most used tesla model 3s is close to the price of a new one (within a few thousand for sure). The "oldest" ones are a year and half old or so. While there are used ones, most people selling them are trying to "get their money back" and have somewhat unreasonable expectations of what the price would be.

As you look around, price the used ones you are seeing against the cost of a new one with any tax credits you will be entitled to, and you will likely find that the price between the two is pretty close.

Buying used right now LR RWD is about $41k. Buying New depends on rebates you'll be eligible for. $50k for LR AWD - 2500 Cali Rebate = $47.5 -500(or 1000) for Gas and Electric Rebate = around 46.5 - 1850 Federal Rebate= $44650. So depending is AWD is worth 4k which is the normal price difference of RWD and AWD last year. New is the better option if you buy through tesla. If you can get a good price outside Tesla's portal then thats your best bet. I'm in the same boat as well. There is a 2018 used one i'm looking at for about $42k. It has 10k miles 19in wheels AP No FSD in Blue. I'm still thinking of going new still. Unless someone convince me otherwise lol I hope this helps I think I confused myself typing this.

Last edited:
Unfortunately used 3's are still overpriced. Any of the ones in the high $30k's are salvage titles from what I've seen on Autotrader/CarGuru. I check multiple times every single day

There was this CPO LR for $38k end of June which is the lowest I've ever seen. Had Autopilot too. But was black on black so I passed. Was tempted though

QSoXIc0.jpg

Last edited:
Im getting a used LR RWD with paint and base wheels 4k miles for $42 from Teslas Used Inventory. It was either that or get an SR+.
I'm inclined to do the same as I much prefer the LR RWD over SR+ but 2 things are keeping me from jumping on it now:
  1. I'll lose out on $4375 of incentives ($1875 fed, $2500 WA state- starting 8/1). This would bring SR+ to $35,525 so you would effectively be paying ~$6500 more for used LR.
  2. Surprisingly, the used M3 prices in Tesla's inventory seem to be much lower than what I've seen on Autotrader, etc. prices that are listing these LR RWD for $50K+. However, LR RWD retailed for $45,500 and received at least $7500 credit which means these cars are essentially selling at prices that reflect a profit or almost no depreciation. I wonder if this will change as incentives phase out completely but it's a hard pill to swallow, for me personally.

Reactions: T3SLAROD and Mr X
I've been thinking about upgrading from my 2018 LR RWD to a 3P. I have FSD, premium paint and 19" wheels with 18k miles and Tesla offered me only $35,700 in trade-in. Seemed a bit low.
Wow! Mileage is a little higher @ 18k but going off of the LR RWDs recently offered via Used inventory they would've turned around and sold that for $45K+ easily. That means they are offering ~$10K less than "market" price for trade-in. It wouldn't help me any but take a look at going prices of M3 on Autotrader, onlyusedtesla, etc. - I think you should sell it yourself for that big of a difference.

Reactions: jdirik
I'm inclined to do the same as I much prefer the LR RWD over SR+ but 2 things are keeping me from jumping on it now:
  1. I'll lose out on $4375 of incentives ($1875 fed, $2500 WA state- starting 8/1). This would bring SR+ to $35,525 so you would effectively be paying ~$6500 more for used LR.
  2. Surprisingly, the used M3 prices in Tesla's inventory seem to be much lower than what I've seen on Autotrader, etc. prices that are listing these LR RWD for $50K+. However, LR RWD retailed for $45,500 and received at least $7500 credit which means these cars are essentially selling at prices that reflect a profit or almost no depreciation. I wonder if this will change as incentives phase out completely but it's a hard pill to swallow, for me personally.

I would also be losing out on those incentives. Although I will be honest and say I would not dump those $4375 into the Tesla. If you don't need the range or any of the other upgrades from the LR then just go for the SR+. You also have to look at Depreciation and what will bring back more money in the long run if you decide to trade.

Having looked I agree that used prices are higher then new when you factor in fed. tax credits. Better off buying a CPO S. So i bought 3 new and hope that this stays thru when I trade in for the Y.

thanks for all your input. BTW. I am looking for long range AWD. Didn't even know there was a LR without.
I am in IL, as far as I know no incentives other than the small remaining federal.
Traditionally, I am buying newer used cars to reduce initial high depreciation. Also, I don't think I would keep the Tesla 3 for a very long time. Leasing just doesn't make sense with Tesla.

Craigslist?