Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying A Used Tesla Not Recommended

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would argue based on the semantics that the whole point with “certification” is that a used car has been inspected and given an extended warranty - hence “certified”. The bone of contention here is that most CPOs from other manufacturers undergo a reconditioning process to certain cosmetic standards, which Tesla abandoned and merely repairs obvious mechanical faults. One of the big differences is that many mainline brand CPO programs are actually run at the level of the dealership, and refurbished locally to the brand’s national standards. I have personal experience shopping for a CPO Lexus in the past across several different Lexus dealerships, and the CPO program and the refurbishment process differed between dealerships, all within the Lexus franchise.

I’ll add my vote to the “pleasantly surprised by my certified used Tesla buying experience” column. I had read so many horror stories on this site that I knew I was taking a gamble and had to wince as I clicked the “buy” button on an unknown car in a different state that I couldn’t test drive. I totally lucked out and my car was in amazing shape with no issues whatsoever, cosmetic or mechanical. Tesla even put brand new tires on, though you could argue that’s more of a safety issue than cosmetic.

That doesn’t mean that current inventory cars are not CPO, it just means that the bar for what Tesla sells is higher than before and the rest goes to Manheim. Certified means you get 4y/50k warranty after the 70 or 120 point inspection
It means that some could meet the standards most have come to expect from the term CPO but not all. This is a very important distinction for anyone who has had experience with other manufacturer's (or even Teslas previous) CPO program. Continuing to use the term "CPO" incorrectly since Tesla no longer uses it only serves to confuse those who may be interested in owning a used Tesla and are just starting to educate themselves on the options and the process.

It's only "obligatory" on this forum because there are some members here who feel the spread of misinformation is harmful to the Tesla name and consumers who don't know any better. Others just don't care I guess since there's nothing positive that comes from using the term CPO incorrectly where it no longer applies. It would be a lot like people stating that Teslas come with free unlimited supercharging for life when they no longer do and haven't since January of 2017.

Also, used Teslas purchased directly from Tesla come with either a 4-year/50k warranty or a 2-year/up to 100k odo warranty.

Reactions: Saxgod
It's only "obligatory" on this forum because there are some members here who feel the spread of misinformation is harmful to the Tesla name and consumers who don't know any better.

Agreed. I want to say the first time I heard CPO as a marketing term/name was from ads for Lexus dealers however many years ago. There were "used" cars on the lot, and then there were the "CPO" cars on the lot - better condition, higher threshold of maintenance/inspection points to be eligible for the program, better warranty, and higher price. That definition, combined with Tesla's former use of CPO to describe refurbishment vs current use of "used" to describe "here it is, however it came in", is why I agree on reminders about correct term usage.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
I had to opposite experience. Just got my 2016 S90D about a month ago and it only had minor imperfections that I would expect for a 3 yr old 35K mile car. Very minor scratches, some rock chips on the front that were filled in with color matching paint and that side bolster area on the drivers side lightly worn. It does have some ghosting on the front windshield that is a PITA, but overall the car is awesome (Link to my original post about the car/buying experience)

I kind of feel like the OP is trolling by not giving any specific examples.

Reactions: Electroman
I agree with Brown - I purchased my car about a month ago and really the only issue I had was on the delivery communication, they kept saying they couldn't tell me exactly when the car would be ready. For me I'm in Illinois and the car only had to go from the holding lot to the service center which was about 30 miles away.

I was told I had 7 days to return the car for any reason if I didn't want it. I love the car and as Brown stated just a few minor scratches that you'd expect from a 3 yr old car, other than that everything has been great.

I was told I had 7 days to return the car for any reason if I didn't want it. I love the car and as Brown stated just a few minor scratches that you'd expect from a 3 yr old car, other than that everything has been great.

I was told that too, but when I wanted to return the car on the 3rd day they were all like no no no, that's for new cars only, you can't return old cars. Thankfully it looks like my situation is going to get resolved, but it's definitely not regular Tesla policy that used cars are returnable

As I've said before, this is the kind of stuff that sinks a company. $50K and you don't even get to spin it around the block? Only we dopes tolerate that level of disservice. The rest of the buying public and soured fans with $50K - $100K to spare will take their business to where they are treated like royalty-- as soon as an option is available.

I agree with Brown - I purchased my car about a month ago and really the only issue I had was on the delivery communication, they kept saying they couldn't tell me exactly when the car would be ready. For me I'm in Illinois and the car only had to go from the holding lot to the service center which was about 30 miles away.

So you were sold a placebo, but since you never needed to use it, you are happy. 7 day return is only for new cars. Earlier this year Tesla went through the trouble to amend their legal disclaimers and such to make sure it's not called a deposit - for CPO's it's called "order payment", to make sure you have no legal leg to stand on if you were to try to get it back. Not to mention that you still can't test drive the car until the car is fully funded, meaning if you change your mind after first 30 seconds of driving it, even if they were to allow to return it like a new car, you'd be on the hook for all load origination and cancellation fees. So in the end it's a total gamble, if you can spot issues to refuse the car before you drive it, you lose $2,500. If you don't find the issues till later, you're stuck with the car. Of course if you get lucky and the car has no issues, you won the gamble. :)

Lucky for me (living near Toronto, Canada) we have an amazing used car dealer who specializes in used Tesla's.
Just like buying any other car you can go look at the cars test drive them ask lots of questions about the car.
Thank you to Shift Motors for getting me my (new to me) 2013 P85.

Lucky for me (living near Toronto, Canada) we have an amazing used car dealer who specializes in used Tesla's.
Just like buying any other car you can go look at the cars test drive them ask lots of questions about the car.
Thank you to Shift Motors for getting me my (new to me) 2013 P85.

same here, quite few actually PO Tesla dealers around me (Austin, TX) - just no CPO warranty :(

I actually had a good experience buying used through Tesla. The only thing that felt strange was having to meet with my advisor at a Starbucks to pick up the car since they no longer have locations to pick up used cars. I have had a few things fixed/replaced at my local service center with no issues. I would rate the condition as 8.5/10 and I got it for 40% of the new selling price. My biggest fear when buying it sight-unseen was cigarette smoke. I absolutely will not buy a car that has been smoked in. My advisor assured me that Tesla will not sell any car that has been smoked in on their used platform.

Ive said it before and I'll say it again... how anyone could drop $50,000 or any significant amount on a used car and not spend a day to go look at it before they buy - then complain they were duped in some way is just beyond my comprehension.
Tesla won’t let you view the car prior to buying. It is a major flaw in the system. I went back and forth CPO vs private sale. Ended up with private sale without a warranty. I am a gambler at heart, but at least I know the car looked and drove well before I paid for it...