Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a used Tesla, worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at a used P85 or 85 from 2013. Prices seem to be around $50k which seems pretty good; part of it is my wish to have a cheaper commute (I drive 100+ miles a day) and the other part is to replace an aging car with something a bit nicer.

Anything I should be looking out for? I am not sure if Autopilot is on this car, there's no notation that there is (buying from a dealership and I'm not sure if they know). Does the warranty transfer? Any issues with 2013 models?

Appreciate any thoughts on this; my alternative buy was to buy a pickup truck but this does have me intrigued.

Thanks!

Reactions: IdaX
Price seems good, but you've not said the mileage so cannot confirm exactly.

Warranty on battery and drive units is 8 years and is transferrable. Likely the other warranty will have expired now so see what the dealer can give you.

If you can get the P85 for the same price as an 85 then obviously I would get this as you get much better performance and extras such as red calipers!

I think the car has 35k miles, so nothing insane... my only concern is whether there's autopilot, and if not then what is usually in its place?
Autopilot hardware didn't show up until late September 2014, so it won't have AP. In its place, you'll find a conventional cruise control system (no traffic aware cruise control). Parking sensors were added as an option in August of 2013. Build month matters, so check the sticker in the door sill to find the car's build date.

I actually made a video last week about buying used pre-AP cars and what to expect. So, if you're looking for more information, you may want to take a look:

Autopilot hardware didn't show up until late September 2014, so it won't have AP. In its place, you'll find a conventional cruise control system (no traffic aware cruise control). Parking sensors were added as an option in August of 2013. Build month matters, so check the sticker in the door sill to find the car's build date.

I actually made a video last week about buying used pre-AP cars and what to expect. So, if you're looking for more information, you may want to take a look:

Petra, Great video.

On my 2013 CPO P85, Telsa (over time) made the following upgrades for me:
1. Install a sound blanket to quiet down the sound of the AC
2. Replace the internal windshield vents to distribute air better
3. Replace the wiper fluid nozzles to get a fan like spray

These are in addition to any fixes they made before I took delivery. Overall great service on the CPO.

for $50k, i would suggest getting one from Tesla, they will come with either the 2year/100k mile warranty or the 4year/50k

like others mentioned, there wont be autopilot on 2013's, you might want to look into getting autopilot since you have a 100mile commute.

issues with older cars in no particular order:
1st gen door handles
mcu screen bubbling
drive units making funny noises
avoid A pack battery

Last edited:
I have a 2013 i bought used with 50k miles on it for 50k a couple years ago. I put another 50k on it and it has had all the issues @kev1n stated. They got fixed or I fixed them and I still love my car, but older cars will have issues that have been well documented here. FWIW I had the same thought track as you though, long commute, need carpool, no other electric can cut it at the moment... etc etc.

You won't go wrong with this car, just prepare to spend the money one way or another (cheaper older, couple of issues here and there. higher priced, newer, less issues)

Here is the thing that scares me about the uninitiated people buying an older Model S because it is now affordable: out of warranty repairs. Without a doubt the car is amazing. After 3 years and 75,000 miles I'm still in love with mine. But when something goes wrong, you will have little choice but to take it to Tesla and pay whatever they ask. Technical service manuals are not available unless you live in Massachusetts. The service center will refuse to sell most repair parts to you or any third party shop. So before you get into this game, you need to be prepared to spend up to $5000 at the drop of a hat. Odds are that you won't need to. But it would be a terrible situation to stretch the budget to buy one of these and then be forced to sell at a great loss because you can't afford to keep it going.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and KidDoc
I am looking at a used P85 or 85 from 2013. Prices seem to be around $50k which seems pretty good; part of it is my wish to have a cheaper commute (I drive 100+ miles a day) and the other part is to replace an aging car with something a bit nicer.

Anything I should be looking out for? I am not sure if Autopilot is on this car, there's no notation that there is (buying from a dealership and I'm not sure if they know). Does the warranty transfer? Any issues with 2013 models?

Appreciate any thoughts on this; my alternative buy was to buy a pickup truck but this does have me intrigued.

Thanks!
I wouldn't pay more than $40K absolute tops for a 2013 with no autopilot. I think you're $10K too high. For $9K more (after rebate) you can buy a vastly superior 2017 75 which is now standard with air suspension glass roof and third generation seats. And you'll have autopilot 2 hardware.

Alternatively, debating on waiting for the Model 3 but it seems like it will be a year away before delivery. At least this way I'll get full autopilot as well as the EV benefits, but not at the price point of the Model S. It will be a solo occupied car for 95% of the trips so I don't mind if it's a bit smaller. Thoughts?

Alternatively, debating on waiting for the Model 3 but it seems like it will be a year away before delivery. At least this way I'll get full autopilot as well as the EV benefits, but not at the price point of the Model S. It will be a solo occupied car for 95% of the trips so I don't mind if it's a bit smaller. Thoughts?

We bought a December 2014 with ap, air, panoramic roof and more from a 3rd party for a little less but it had been in a wreck. The repairs, Tesla told me while they nevertheless replaced 3 door handles, the drive unit and more under warranty, were not done by an authorized repair center. I can't imagine not having autopilot. After nearly 10K miles, and no longer with the bumper to bumper warranty, I don't ever want to go back.

Reactions: IdaX
As for Model 3, if you reserve now I think it will be yearS away.