Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying a Volvo Recharge instead of a Tesla, thanks to their Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't know what more to add to the title than that. Or in case the title gets redacted - "Buying a Volvo Recharge instead of a Tesla, thanks to their customer service"

It's true. I was very seriously thinking of adding a Tesla to the stable of homeowner cars, what with my oldest becoming of driving age.

Then my Tesla solar/battery system exhibited fault, and I had to wait MORE THAN A MONTH for onsite service. Pathetic!

So - should I buy a car that costs 2x to 3x times more than my solar arrangement, only to expect the same level of customer service?

Um.... NO.

Fruitcake

Sorry about your situation, but I continue to state/hope that consumers get more options so Tesla can't behave this way...When you raise prices by like 7k (MY LR AWD) and people still are dying to buy your cars, that's a pretty disfunctional market currently.

As someone else stated, on solar, I think a lot of other players aren't behind at all or even ahead of what Tesla Solar offers (you can't pick any components) so outside of price, that's pretty much mostly what you're getting with Tesla solar.

Depending on this EV tax credit and vehicle front, Tesla EVs are tech/dev wise much further along than competitors, but I personally never liked the minimalistic style of the M3 or MY (and think the MY sorta looks bad), but Tesla's have raised prices a lot this year alone so once end of 2022 hits, consumers should have a lot more options and hopefully, service improves.

Looking at the S60 Recharge.
The S60 you can get now only has 22 mile All-Electric range and 30mpg on gas after that. Mid-way through the 2022 model year it is supposed to get a larger battery that will give more range. I don't recall what the increased range is supposed to be. IMHO, PHEV is a crutch and I don't recommend them. There are Volvo XC40 Recharge BEV available to drive away today.

Customer service for energy products is different from vehicle customer service, but that’s not great either.
You're right. It's WORSE. The energy products are FASTENED TO YOUR HOUSE and INTEGRATED WITH THE LOCAL ELECTRIC UTILITY.

You could get rid of an unsatisfactory electric vehicle with a whim, a shrug, and signing a few pieces of paper. Try that with a Tesla Electric Gateway.

Fruitcake

The S60 you can get now only has 22 mile All-Electric range and 30mpg on gas after that. Mid-way through the 2022 model year it is supposed to get a larger battery that will give more range. I don't recall what the increased range is supposed to be. IMHO, PHEV is a crutch and I don't recommend them. There are Volvo XC40 Recharge BEV available to drive away today.
I'll take all those shortcoming over Tesla's abysmal customer service any day of the week.

Fruitcake

As @sunwarriors stated, the only cure for bad customer service (and bad QA) is people voting w/ their wallets. However, for many, there are not what they consider to be viable alternatives to Tesla's offerings. That will change in the coming years. The legacy manufacturers are investing heavily and will close the gap eventually.

My Roadster should be sold next week but my Plaid X is not scheduled to be delivered until next April. I am planning to lease an XC40 until the X arrives. I am actually excited to drive a non-Tesla EV. It will be interesting to see how other manufacturers do things.

Exactly! Just move on and get it. I don't attend live football or basketball or F1 events because I can see EVERYTHING with replay at home. I vote with my $. This is the same thing with the stupid yoke focus. If you don't like it just buy something else.

And I don't bash those that bought a Taycan. I really looked closely and decided it wasn't for me. I didn't go on any Taycan forums or posting and bash them. I just didn't buy one. Oh and I do acknowledge that service isn't what it was in 2013.