Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying advice (2016 Tesla Model X 60D)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have a 2013 Model S 85 and love it. We are considering selling my wife's 2017 Lexus RX 350 AWD to buy a 2016 Tesla Model X 60D. There is one in particular that we are interested in, with the following notes:

MSRP $98,750
Sales price: $58,000
Clear title
Sept. 2016 build date
Just under 34K miles
Warranty through September 2020

Silver metallic paint
Supercharging transferrable
AP1
22" Onyx wheels (with new tires)
Black headliner
Six seat interior
Premium Interior Package
Smart air suspension
Black leather seats (heated and ventilated)
Ultra-High Fidelity Sound

Seller says 12V battery was recently replaced and all annual maintenance has been done. This will be confirmed before my purchase. My question to you guys is what, if anything, should I be concerned with on this Sept. 2016 build Model X 60D? We will rarely take it out of the city so range isn't a huge issue. We've driven a few Model Xs over the last couple of years while my Model S was in the Service Center for maintenance and repairs and absolutely love the vehicle. Outside of that, I'm not sure what to look for during this purchase. Any information/tips are greatly appreciated. We looked at it last week and it is in near-perfect condition.

Martin

Hi Martin - We have been seeing Several Used MXs (75D and 90D) Sold by Tesla for around $64K - $65K. This is with AP2 hardware and 4 more years of Warranty. If you don't care about the AP2 Hardware or Warranty I would suggest you negotiate to lower the sale price.

You could also ask for all the service records of the vehicle and check if any annual inspections were performed to give you confidence on your purchase.

Thanks

Don't do it! I bought a MX P90D from Tesla for 68k three months. I would look on Tesla's site and find a nice 75D or 90D. The price has come down a lot in the last few months. There are a few right now for under 62. Like vamsi539 said the additional 4 year warranty is well worth the extra money.

Another thing when I bought mine the side window was scratched and there was a couple other issues with it that I talked to them in to fixing before I signed the papers.

Hello,

I have a 2013 Model S 85 and love it. We are considering selling my wife's 2017 Lexus RX 350 AWD to buy a 2016 Tesla Model X 60D. There is one in particular that we are interested in, with the following notes:

MSRP $98,750
Clear title
Sept. 2016 build date
Just under 34K miles

Silver metallic paint
AP1
Black headliner
Six seat interior
Premium Interior Package
Smart air suspension

Seller says 12V battery was recently replaced and all annual maintenance has been done. This will be confirmed before my purchase. My question to you guys is what, if anything, should I be concerned with on this Sept. 2016 build Model X 60D? We will rarely take it out of the city so range isn't a huge issue. We've driven a few Model Xs over the last couple of years while my Model S was in the Service Center for maintenance and repairs and absolutely love the vehicle. Outside of that, I'm not sure what to look for during this purchase. Any information/tips are greatly appreciated. We looked at it last week and it is in near-perfect condition.

Martin

Avoid it like the plague! Too many build quality issues (even with the late 2018 and some Raven MX's). If you can, wait another year and then shop around for the MX.

Hello,

MSRP $98,750
Clear title
Sept. 2016 build date
Just under 34K miles

Silver metallic paint
AP1
Black headliner
Six seat interior
Premium Interior Package
Smart air suspension

Martin

I have a dec 2016 60d, so it has AP2. After the first year the only major issue I’ve had was the seal on one of the FWD glass tore and was replaced. Otherwise it’s held up really well (knock on wood). Aside from AP1, the other changes are that the front door latches have been updated since 2016 and are significantly quieter. Not a deal breaker but the SCs used to update these free (mine was), so could ask if that was done, also the FWD buttons are different now, but again a very minor point. My SC changed those for free too.

When I fully charge mine (20” wheels), rated range is still 193 mi at 100% charge and similar 32k. I’ve heard after the last software update some 90d drivers have max range of like 220-230 miles which is quite low, but i thankfully didn’t notice a difference, I’d be a little worried with 22” wheels on it, my real world range is around 140-150 miles per charge. With free supercharging it’s been fine and we don’t take really long road trips, Plus we are only charging really to 90% so it tops off fast... but the 22” wheels may drop range a bit more so just wanted to make sure you’re good with the 60kw battery. We bought the LR model 3 thinking we would use that for longer road trips, but because of the comfort and space of the X we still take the X for all road trips (so you might take it out of the city more than you anticipate?).

It is still $4500 to upgrade battery which is pretty steep given battery prices have come down a bit since I bought this, so I don’t think it’s worth it. I think my main consideration would be if the Model Y may fit your needs, it could be worth holding out. 2017 Lexus RX would prob still get a decent amount of trade in value in 2021 when the Y comes out? Maybe you can use Lack of AP2 to save a Little more?

Hi vamsi539,

Thank you very much for this insight. Can you tell me the major advantage of AP2 over AP1? I have read that AP1 is very good and works very well but is not upgradeable when FSD is released. Is AP2 upgradeable when FSD is released, for free?

I do agree that the 4-year warranty is a big deal.

Best,

Maritn

Hi Martin - We have been seeing Several Used MXs (75D and 90D) Sold by Tesla for around $64K - $65K. This is with AP2 hardware and 4 more years of Warranty. If you don't care about the AP2 Hardware or Warranty I would suggest you negotiate to lower the sale price.

You could also ask for all the service records of the vehicle and check if any annual inspections were performed to give you confidence on your purchase.

Thanks

Thank you very much for your advice, Tberk!

Martin

Don't do it! I bought a MX P90D from Tesla for 68k three months. I would look on Tesla's site and find a nice 75D or 90D. The price has come down a lot in the last few months. There are a few right now for under 62. Like vamsi539 said the additional 4 year warranty is well worth the extra money.

Another thing when I bought mine the side window was scratched and there was a couple other issues with it that I talked to them in to fixing before I signed the papers.

I don't think I'd upgrade the range because it doesn't seem worth $4500 for under 40 miles of rated range.

Can you tell me the disadvantages of AP1 vs AP2?

Thanks!

Martin

You should be able to upgrade the 60D to 75D for $4500 (unless the price came down since I did it).

This would make this vehicle like a $62-$63k range 75D

I personally think it’s worth less though due to AP1 and no FSD

Hi Terthen,

Thank you for sharing your experience. May I ask what FWD means? (I cannot read that without thinking Front Wheel Drive LOL.) Sorry for being such a noob!

Thanks for the info about the real-world range and 22" wheel effect on it. It is very possible that we might opt for the X instead of the S on road trips.

Can you tell me the difference between AP1 and AP2 in your experience?

Thanks!

Martin

I have a dec 2016 60d, so it has AP2. After the first year the only major issue I’ve had was the seal on one of the FWD glass tore and was replaced. Otherwise it’s held up really well (knock on wood). Aside from AP1, the other changes are that the front door latches have been updated since 2016 and are significantly quieter. Not a deal breaker but the SCs used to update these free (mine was), so could ask if that was done, also the FWD buttons are different now, but again a very minor point. My SC changed those for free too.

When I fully charge mine (20” wheels), rated range is still 193 mi at 100% charge and similar 32k. I’ve heard after the last software update some 90d drivers have max range of like 220-230 miles which is quite low, but i thankfully didn’t notice a difference, I’d be a little worried with 22” wheels on it, my real world range is around 140-150 miles per charge. With free supercharging it’s been fine and we don’t take really long road trips, Plus we are only charging really to 90% so it tops off fast... but the 22” wheels may drop range a bit more so just wanted to make sure you’re good with the 60kw battery. We bought the LR model 3 thinking we would use that for longer road trips, but because of the comfort and space of the X we still take the X for all road trips (so you might take it out of the city more than you anticipate?).

It is still $4500 to upgrade battery which is pretty steep given battery prices have come down a bit since I bought this, so I don’t think it’s worth it. I think my main consideration would be if the Model Y may fit your needs, it could be worth holding out. 2017 Lexus RX would prob still get a decent amount of trade in value in 2021 when the Y comes out? Maybe you can use Lack of AP2 to save a Little more?

I am not too sure X60D's range, and how you would use it. We love our Model X, and I almost wouldn't drive any other cars including Model S. So I wonder if it would be worth to get an X60D with shorter range in the big state of Texas, not to mention its hardware is not capable for full self-driving in the future.

I could not make it with the 60D in Texas. I had to upgrade it. One thing to keep in mind is if you drive anything like a normal person you will never get the rated range. You will get less. This meant there were road trips that were impossible in the X as a 60D. I got tired of not having the extra capacity. Sometimes it really matters.

AP1 is the old autopilot hardware. Works well but most think AP2 has surpassed it by now and also AP1 will not get further updates in the future.

Thanks for sharing your experience, MarkDFW. The same applies to my MS, rated vs real-world range.

How fast did your X charge at the Superchargers? I know it varies but what was your experience? In my MS, I think it was something like 150 miles every 30 minutes or so. I don't supercharge very often but for some reason those numbers come to mind.

Also, did you upgrade your 60D to 75D, or did you get a different X?

I could not make it with the 60D in Texas. I had to upgrade it. One thing to keep in mind is if you drive anything like a normal person you will never get the rated range. You will get less. This meant there were road trips that were impossible in the X as a 60D. I got tired of not having the extra capacity. Sometimes it really matters.

AP1 is the old autopilot hardware. Works well but most think AP2 has surpassed it by now and also AP1 will not get further updates in the future.

I was in your position a little over a year ago. Sept 2016 build X60D. I live in Southern California, and range is not an issue at all. I have done road trips to Vegas without a problem and hit peak charge rates at 125 kwh. I have debated getting the range upgrade as well, but not so much for the extra range, but for the uncorking. The 60D is software limited to 6 second 0-60 versus most of the 75D models which are 4.9 seconds. Build quality has been decent, I have had both Falcon door seals replaced and realigned, Trunk realigned, half shafts replaced, and my 3rd row folding seat is stuck folded position (been waiting on replacement since July 2018, service got it up once but failed again since waiting for replacement).
I took care of my issues before Tesla’s “Service Hell” at a new unlisted Service Center, so I was well taken care of but spent about a month in loaner vehicles, but do consider your relationship with your local service center. Mine is running solid now for well over 10k miles and I understood what i was getting when buying a 010XXX VIN vehicle. I would echo the advice for request of service records prior to purchasing. I think you would want to know about mine before buying if I were selling.

* Addition: For me AP 1.0 is more than enough, I enjoy driving it and only use AP while in traffic.

I did upgrade my 60D to 75D. It was not a new car. I also appreciated the uncorking and performance boost.

Supercharging in this X is the slowest of all Tesla’s. My biggest regret was not buying the biggest battery so I can Supercharge faster.

That said the speeds have improved recently with the software updates unlocking a higher charge rate. 150 miles in 30 mins is probably reasonable.

However if you drive between big cities in Texas often enough you get a bit tired of the longer charge stops.

I’m waiting for the next range boost on the current X Long Range (I’m betting when they move to model 3 batteries) and I plan to upgrade at that time.