Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying advice (2016 Tesla Model X 60D)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi jmcmill

Thank you very much for your response. I appreciate you taking the time to share you experience!

Martin

I was in your position a little over a year ago. Sept 2016 build X60D. I live in Southern California, and range is not an issue at all. I have done road trips to Vegas without a problem and hit peak charge rates at 125 kwh. I have debated getting the range upgrade as well, but not so much for the extra range, but for the uncorking. The 60D is software limited to 6 second 0-60 versus most of the 75D models which are 4.9 seconds. Build quality has been decent, I have had both Falcon door seals replaced and realigned, Trunk realigned, half shafts replaced, and my 3rd row folding seat is stuck folded position (been waiting on replacement since July 2018, service got it up once but failed again since waiting for replacement).
I took care of my issues before Tesla’s “Service Hell” at a new unlisted Service Center, so I was well taken care of but spent about a month in loaner vehicles, but do consider your relationship with your local service center. Mine is running solid now for well over 10k miles and I understood what i was getting when buying a 010XXX VIN vehicle. I would echo the advice for request of service records prior to purchasing. I think you would want to know about mine before buying if I were selling.

* Addition: For me AP 1.0 is more than enough, I enjoy driving it and only use AP while in traffic.

Hi MarkDFW,

I did not realize the 60D was "slow" if you don't uncork it. I don't think it matters for us but good to know another data point in this decision.

I feel like the three main issues against this purchase are:

1. 60D battery = limited range (maybe 160-ish with real world driving) with ost to upgrade/uncork to 75D battery $4500

2. One year warranty remaining (and two years available for additional $2400)

3. Possible build quality issues

Adding $4500 and $2400 to the price ($58000) to sort of even it up with what is available on ev-cpo.com makes it $64,900, which is right in line with what similarly-equipped 75Ds are mostly selling for. Maybe all of a sudden this isn't such a great deal after all.

Martin

I did upgrade my 60D to 75D. It was not a new car. I also appreciated the uncorking and performance boost.

Supercharging in this X is the slowest of all Tesla’s. My biggest regret was not buying the biggest battery so I can Supercharge faster.

That said the speeds have improved recently with the software updates unlocking a higher charge rate. 150 miles in 30 mins is probably reasonable.

However if you drive between big cities in Texas often enough you get a bit tired of the longer charge stops.

I’m waiting for the next range boost on the current X Long Range (I’m betting when they move to model 3 batteries) and I plan to upgrade at that time.

Hi MarkDFW,

I did not realize the 60D was "slow" if you don't uncork it. I don't think it matters for us but good to know another data point in this decision.

I feel like the three main issues against this purchase are:

1. 60D battery = limited range (maybe 160-ish with real world driving) with ost to upgrade/uncork to 75D battery $4500

2. One year warranty remaining (and two years available for additional $2400)

3. Possible build quality issues

Adding $4500 and $2400 to the price ($58000) to sort of even it up with what is available on ev-cpo.com makes it $64,900, which is right in line with what similarly-equipped 75Ds are mostly selling for. Maybe all of a sudden this isn't such a great deal after all.

Martin

martin, the wonderful forum members answered all your other questions from my post. I’m glad one of the members chimed in about the 0-60 time, I forgot about that and that’s important for many (but 5.9 0-60 is probably plenty fast for most people).

Especially because that car has AP1, which is great I am sure, I just think all of it together, depends on if your budget can stretch for the 75d cpo which will be newer, have ap2, bigger battery, faster... and longer warranty...

I do love my 60d and at the time, getting 60kwh battery allowed me to get things like leather to fit in what we were willing to pay. the range has been plenty for us in Southern California. I’ve only visited Texas a few times so i would just check to make sure the supercharger stops are where you need it.

good luck!