Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Advice: 2019 100D with Ludacris or 2021 LR

Which Model X would you pick?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice from the hive about a possible Model X purchase for my wife and infant son. As the title states, I am debating a used 2019 or a new 2021.

2019 Model X with Ludacris, 42k miles, $80,000
5 seat white interior with FSD
Extras: PPF with ceramic coating, all windows tinted, wheels powder coated, leather floor mats
Estimated range: 290 miles

2021 Model X LR, $90,000
5 seat black interior, no FSD upgrade bc comes with standard autopilot
Might do a 6 seat config, which will add $6500
Estimated range: 350 miles

The value on the used car seems pretty good. It comes with lots of extras, still has its warranty, but my wife doesn't need Ludacris mode. The new car seems tempting because it has a better battery, though I'm still not sure how I feel about the new interior and layout.

WWYD?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice from the hive about a possible Model X purchase for my wife and infant son. As the title states, I am debating a used 2019 or a new 2021.

2019 Model X with Ludacris, 42k miles, $80,000
5 seat white interior with FSD
Extras: PPF with ceramic coating, all windows tinted, wheels powder coated, leather floor mats
Estimated range: 290 miles

2021 Model X LR, $90,000
5 seat black interior, no FSD upgrade bc comes with standard autopilot
Might do a 6 seat config, which will add $6500
Estimated range: 350 miles

The value on the used car seems pretty good. It comes with lots of extras, still has its warranty, but my wife doesn't need Ludacris mode. The new car seems tempting because it has a better battery, though I'm still not sure how I feel about the new interior and layout.

WWYD?
Not sure if the new 6 seat configuration is the same as the 2021 and older but the 6 seat system they have been using up till ‘21 is not a good system. The 5 and 7 seaters fold the second row flat and the 6 seaters don’t, they loose so much cargo room because of the design. You may not use the cargo area all the time but when you need it the 6 seaters fail miserably. We had the 6 seater and we would use our S or our X5 if we needed to carry anything of size. In so far as buying the new style it depends on your pocketbook. The new car will be the new style for a long time and the 2021’s will be now be the old style forever. Range is important and the new LR will outperform the old Performance X by a large amount and there is speculation that the new LR may get a software bump for more range. The actual acceleration would be better in the old Performance X but they are a power hog unless you need the difference and if you really need the speed get a Model S, that’s what I did because they seem like a better car overall in my opinion.

Get 6 or 7 seat. Has two zone AC with larger compressor.

Skip ludicrous.

If not sure on new interior find inventory X, should be a little less than ordering new

Batteries have not changed yet.

Range is king. I love my 2017 Ludi MS (which I bought used) but with 57k miles on her currently the EPA range of 315 when new is currently around 290 miles@100%. The new one should charge faster as well.

Thanks forum fam. I think I had rose glasses on for the "deal" of the used car. But ultimately it doesn't make sense to pay for things we don't really need. Plus going new will give us some big benefits that the used car will never have.

Cheers
Yeah, the new car ALL the way.

Refreshed interior / exterior is a HUGE difference.
No miles vs. 42k miles...no brainer
Much faster fast charging speed.
Better range
Still excellent performance.
Heat pump / octovalve
All the little incremental Tesla improvements between 2019 and 2021...enormous.
Ability to configure how you want.

Those are quite a few reasons to go with the new. FSD? I wouldn't worry about it. You'll be able to buy a subscription if / when the City Streets beta ever becomes public, and then you can decide if it's worth it without having to spend all the cash. Might they up the price? MAYBE.

The LCI Long Range is probably going to be just as quick in real-world situations as the P100D would be in "sport" or whatever the mode under Ludicrous is. I'd go for the new one. In fact, I *did* order a new one in this same situation, heh, and that was before the "slow" one was still sub-4.0 0-60.

The new one will charge *much* faster, will cut charging time in half or close to it.
For the first 40% of the battery, charging from 0, if you can find a V3 supercharger...at least you've got less battery to charge with the new ones, unless they magicked 300lb out of the car some other way besides reducing battery weight

The LR+ got 250kw charging capability, in theory, toward the end of the model run...I want to say mid-year last year with a couple battery revs? My '21 Pre-LCI LR+ has 250kw capability,, in theory...

Last edited:
For the first 40% of the battery, charging from 0, if you can find a V3 supercharger...at least you've got less battery to charge with the new ones, unless they magicked 300lb out of the car some other way besides reducing battery weight

The LR+ got 250kw charging capability, in theory, toward the end of the model run...I want to say mid-year last year with a couple battery revs? My '21 Pre-LCI LR+ has 250kw capability,, in theory...
No magic required, maybe a very small battery mass reduction (the 12V which is now lithium), but taking 300lb out of a 3600lb structure designed 9 years ago with much more limited manufacturing and design resources requires no magic. It's big, but well within the realm of possibility for a mass reduction effort.

New Long Range all the way. I rather spend the extra 10k and get newer tech, better range, and fresh warranty. The LR is plenty fast enough for most people and the performance acceleration just becomes a cool and very expensive party trick. Just me .02.

• Disagree
Reactions: TespaceX
And remember the most important thing... The used one doesn't necessarily have 290 miles of range, that's what it is rated for... So it could have 250 miles or 260 miles of actual range. Never know until you see it on the screen or hook up a scanner to see what the full capacity kwh is.

Reactions: byeLT4
Ludacris ha ha ha. I would DEFINITELY get the new LR+ car. The engineering improvements over the years are worth it. Jack rabbit starts are overrated.

LUDA!!

maxresdefault.jpg

and the new one is "unofficially" rated at 360 (not 350) and is likely to go up once its epa rated... and that doesn't take into account at all the increased range in colder weather due to the heat pump, if applicable to your climate...