Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying advice for a used Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at buying a used 2021Model X from a private 3rd party. I am meeting him for a test drive. What should I check for? Any tips? Though I have been driving electric for 6 years, this is my Tesla.

So what should I be wary of? The carfax report appears clean, but one concern is that it was sold at auction once after first owner had registered in Missouri.

You're looking to be the third owner in what ... a year, 2 years, tops? I'd be very curious why previous owners chose to move on so quickly. I suppose the auction could be due to reduced demand for Teslas in MO. But, that's another red flag (or at least a yellow one). On the positive side, there's lots of warranty left on it.

Just drive it and look it over. They’re great cars. Open and close the doors and make sure they’re aligned properly. Even if they aren’t, service will fix it.
Yup. I am going to test drive it for sure. But what should I pay attention to?

For example , worst case let’s say they swapped out the original battery and put in an old one, or swapped motors etc, how would I discover that?

Or because it was used in Missouri, will there be any snow damage and how can I discover it?

You're looking to be the third owner in what ... a year, 2 years, tops? I'd be very curious why previous owners chose to move on so quickly. I suppose the auction could be due to reduced demand for Teslas in MO. But, that's another red flag (or at least a yellow one). On the positive side, there's lots of warranty left on it.
Precisely my concern, I don’t know why it went into auction! Maybe the first owner couldn’t make the payments and was repossessed by the bank? But I am not sure if I should treat it as a red or yellow flag.

I’d bet the first owner ordered it, waited forever, didn’t want it anymore and ran it at the auction to make some money.

I don’t see any red flag here. I’d guess the new owner probably used a HELOC or something to buy it and with rising rates can’t or doesn’t want to afford it anymore. Just ask the guy.

Yup. I am going to test drive it for sure. But what should I pay attention to?

For example , worst case let’s say they swapped out the original battery and put in an old one, or swapped motors etc, how would I discover that?

Or because it was used in Missouri, will there be any snow damage and how can I discover it?
I would have zero worry about any of that. If you’re worried about it take it to a Tesla shop.

I’d bet the first owner ordered it, waited forever, didn’t want it anymore and ran it at the auction to make some money.

I don’t see any red flag here. I’d guess the new owner probably used a HELOC or something to buy it and with rising rates can’t or doesn’t want to afford it anymore. Just ask the guy.
Yes, second owner is buying something else. I did ask that.

Ok here is a new complication. It appears that the current owner has a loan against the vehicle. Its not fully paid off. He's being naive by suggesting that if we do the deal, then we meet at the bank to pay off the load at the loan and then he will sign off the title off to me when he gets in hand. I am thinking this is a big red flag. Any thoughts on how to proceed in this case?

I know I am digressing from the techicals of checking out a used car. Should I create a separate thread?

Ok here is a new complication. It appears that the current owner has a loan against the vehicle. Its not fully paid off. He's being naive by suggesting that if we do the deal, then we meet at the bank to pay off the load at the loan and then he will sign off the title off to me when he gets in hand. I am thinking this is a big red flag. Any thoughts on how to proceed in this case?

I know I am digressing from the techicals of checking out a used car. Should I create a separate thread?
Why is it a red flag? This happens all the time. Do a bill of sale, get a payoff letter from his bank, payoff the loan and pay him/her the difference. Have them sign an application for duplicate title in case you need it.

You seem super paranoid. This how things work. Most people don’t have their car paid off and they still sell them.

Why is it a red flag? This happens all the time. Do a bill of sale, get a payoff letter from his bank, payoff the loan and pay him/her the difference. Have them sign an application for duplicate title in case you need it.

You seem super paranoid. This how things work. Most people don’t have their car paid off and they still sell them.
Yes. I am a bit nervous about the whole thing. I did not realize this was a common scenario.

Once the payoff is done, I don't think the bank will release the title immediately as it probably handled by someone in a backend office. So is the sequence of events like this?

1. We sign bill of sale, I pay off the balance to the bank, and rest to him and get a payoff letter from bank
2. He gets the title to his address and then I get it from him
3. I take the title and bill of sale to the DMV to get it registered in my name?

What is a application for duplicate title? Even if duplicate title is issued, won't it be issued in the name of the bank (lien holder) or the current owner?

Yes. I am a bit nervous about the whole thing. I did not realize this was a common scenario.

Once the payoff is done, I don't think the bank will release the title immediately as it probably handled by someone in a backend office. So is the sequence of events like this?

1. We sign bill of sale, I pay off the balance to the bank, and rest to him and get a payoff letter from bank
2. He gets the title to his address and then I get it from him
3. I take the title and bill of sale to the DMV to get it registered in my name?

What is a application for duplicate title? Even if duplicate title is issued, won't it be issued in the name of the bank (lien holder) or the current owner?
You’d have a lien release as well. The application for duplicate title is just in case the title gets lost. Odds are the bank doesn’t hold a paper title anymore…it’s digital. In Utah, the bank would request the DMV mail a physical title after the payoff is complete, and the state would mail a title free of any liens.

Call your DMV and ask them. If you’ve got a bill of sale, the vehicle and proof you paid for the vehicle you’ll be fine. This person isn’t out to rip you off. You can also like go to your DMV and get a temporary registration while everything gets sorted out. If it is a digital title and the bank does their thing fast, the DMV may just have record of it all and keep a digital title now in your name once you pay sales tax and appropriate registration fees.

Just call your DMV and ask them. It’s probably an FAQ on their website too.

I am looking at buying a used 2021Model X from a private 3rd party. I am meeting him for a test drive. What should I check for? Any tips? Though I have been driving electric for 6 years, this is my Tesla.

So what should I be wary of? The carfax report appears clean, but one concern is that it was sold at auction once after first owner had registered in Missouri.
Look over body gaps, and such, make sure everything functions and I would have the tesla service plug the computer into the car to validate NO ERRORS. But be prepared as I found out and all tesla owners will find out when their car go out of warranty. 1. Tesla repair times are horrible, mobile service is a crap shoot. 2. Independent shops CANNOT get the parts to fix the cars. 3.They don't have the software needed to fully diagnose the problems. 4. Be prepared for high out of pocket costs for repairs. 54. Took a risk with a used tesla with NO warranty and I got rid of my X 90D after 2 years of ownership and being out of warranty with over 5K in repair costs in 3 months, sold it for 10k more than I paid for it luckily so the experience only cost my 5k. They are good cars but even the multiple tesla techs that worked on the car said the X was over engineered and difficult and expensive to repair due to all the additional systems they have over the cars FWD being the big one.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna