Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying advice for a used Model X

If it was a 2017 like ours I would be more concerned. Lots of issues with our MX and we paid $70k for it. And all issues we've had are out of warranty. We have to get the charging port replaced which is going to run $670 to name one...

A '21 should be a much safer bet.
Realistically anything Raven or better are safe bet but the price premium may just be enough to justify banking the excess for the inevitable repairs assuming you give no cares about not having the latest and greatest.

So here is an update. I was able to test drive the MX today.

Vehicle does appears to be in decent condition. The wheels do have some scrapes, but passenger side front wheel has a pretty bad scrape. But otherwise no paint imperfections.

When pulling

We drove to a supercharger about 5 miles away. As I started driving, it had about 200 miles range. I did check battery percentage, as there were a million things going in my mind. But by the time we got to the supercharger, the range had dropped down to 190 miles. We had driven only 5 miles though.

While supercharging I noticed that it was only pulling about 62-64 KW of power. I do recall that there was some message about it charging only to 80% and possibly something about busy charging location or something like that. What should a 2021 MX LPR be capable of?

We charged back up to 200 miles range then we drove back ~5 miles to our original meet up location. This time the range dropped to 191 miles. Is this normal? How many miles is a 2021 MX LPR capable of? Is this the Raven build?

During the test drive, I also noticed that the cabin was getting pretty warm as we were driving mid-day and temperature was about 68F. With that long glass windshield, I can really feel the sun hitting my face. Does this bother anyone else? Any solutions to have some heavy tinting done to block out that sunlight?

The frunk had a tow hitch and the mobile charger. I noticed that the mobile charger only had the 120V adapter, does the 14-50 adapter come standard or does it have to be purchased?

Also the vehicle owner said the vehicle had autopilot only but no FSD. Online I see there is something called enhanced autopilot. How can I check if the vehicle has autopilot or enhanced autopilot?

Additional observations: As I was pulling out of the parking lot, I noticed that making a sharp turn there was some noise possibly from the steering or something like that. Anything I should be worried about?

Another observation: Maybe I am over reacting, but I thought the brake feel was a bit weird. I thought I heard some noise when coming to a full stop at a light. Maybe I am overthinking this or as a previous response said, I am paranoid!

I am considering making an offer, but I can't justify paying a 100K for this MX. still deliberating in my mind.

Last edited:
So here is an update. I was able to test drive the MX today.

Vehicle does appears to be in decent condition. The wheels do have some scrapes, but passenger side front wheel has a pretty bad scrape. But otherwise no paint imperfections.

We drove to a supercharger about 5 miles away. As I started driving, it had about 200 miles range. I did check battery percentage, as there were a million things going in my mind. But by the time we got to the supercharger, the range had dropped down to 190 miles. We had driven only 5 miles though.

While supercharging I noticed that it was only pulling about 62-64 KW of power. I do recall that there was some message about it charging only to 80% and possibly something about busy charging location or something like that. What should a 2021 MX LPR be capable of?

We charged back up to 200 miles range then we drove back ~5 miles to our original meet up location. This time the range dropped to 191 miles. Is this normal? How many miles is a 2021 MX LPR capable of? Is this the Raven build?

During the test drive, I also noticed that the cabin was getting pretty warm as we were driving mid-day and temperature was about 68F. With that long glass windshield, I can really feel the sun hitting my face. Does this bother anyone else? Any solutions to have some heavy tinting done to block out that sunlight?

The frunk had a tow hitch and the mobile charger. I noticed that the mobile charger only had the 120V adapter, does the 14-50 adapter come standard or does it have to be purchased?

Also the vehicle owner said the vehicle had autopilot only but no FSD. Online I see there is something called enhanced autopilot. How can I check if the vehicle has autopilot or enhanced autopilot?

I am considering making an offer, but I can't justify paying a 100K for this MX. still deliberating in my mind.

You were probably sitting at ~55-60% so 60’s isn’t ideal but the pack was probably also still cold. I wouldn’t pay $100K for that car.

I doubt the pack was cold, as the current owner had just driven about 15 miles to our meet up point.

I am considering a 80K or 85K offer. But I don't want to appear to lowball, if the current selling price is above that.
You’d be surprised how long the pack stays cold.
I’ve driven ours for half hour continuously in 40’s temps and still have it show yellow dashes on the regen which is an indicator the pack is still cold.

Reactions: Genie
The car is under warranty, so anything that might be wrong (I doubt anything is) you can get fixed under warranty. You can fix the curbed rims for ~$150/each if you want to and they’ll look brand new.

I’d build the car on Teslas website and see what the cost comes out to. I’d take ~20% off of that for being two years old. That’s just me though.

The car is under warranty, so anything that might be wrong (I doubt anything is) you can get fixed under warranty. You can fix the curbed rims for ~$150/each if you want to and they’ll look brand new.

I’d build the car on Teslas website and see what the cost comes out to. I’d take ~20% off of that for being two years old. That’s just me though.
I don’t think 20% is a fair discount given the big changes that went down against a new MX.

I’d say ~35% is closer.

Big changes? I thought this was a refresh model? I have a 2023 and my neighbor a 2021. I don’t really see any difference.
2021 I believe was still “Legacy” unless the OP can clarify with some pictures or a link to the car.

If not, a simple question? Main display is vertical or horizontal?

• Informative
Reactions: Leeclanual
2021 I believe was still “Legacy” unless the OP can clarify with some pictures or a link to the car.

If not, a simple question? Main display is vertical or horizontal?
Yeah…or does it have a yoke? I think there were very few 2021, if any, Model X that weren’t the refresh. They shut the factory down to so the switch over to the refresh in December of 2020.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC

Genie

Supporting Member
Yeah…or does it have a yoke? I think there were very few 2021, if any, Model X that weren’t the refresh. They shut the factory down to so the switch over to the refresh in December of 2020.
MX built 11/20 thru ~1/21 are ” 2021 prerefresh” with round wheel and vertical screen. I think the refresh appeared around 8/21.

If OP wants a white 6 seater LR right this minute this car might be a great deal.

• Informative
There are no 2021 “refresh” model X only model S X started with 2022 year, X production ceased for several months in 2021 model year

Sounds like a fair deal, especially since you can get instant delivery instead of waiting a long time. This car is in high demand and will sell quickly.

Your observations sound normal. Your battery has a 8 year warranty etc. If the X is a Raven model, you are getting a nice package. Quicker charging, faster performance, adaptive air suspension etc. Being still under warranty is a great comfort.

Many owners purchase a $35 aftermarket mesh Sun screen that fits under the large top portion of that huge windshield. Reduces glare and heat from the Sun. Installs and removes in about 15 seconds.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC