TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Buying an american model s?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Luclyluciano, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Luclyluciano

Luclyluciano Member

I've noticed many p85 s for sale south of the boarder for $100k. Anyone know if this is possible. Tesla Canada sales person said not allowed. Around $100k is my sweet spot. Don't want to drop $130k.

2. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

You can only import it with the assistance of Tesla, unfortunately. If they say they won't do it, then you really have no recourse.

3. bsd

bsd Member

Doug_G: curious, but what kind of changes would be required? A firmware update for DRLs?

(Wondering as my neighbour would love to import a Fiat 500e.)

4. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

register in the US, drive in Canada????

5. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

#5 djp, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    The firmware changes are easy, the bigger hurdle is that Tesla needs to file with Transport Canada to add the Model S to the Vehicle Import Admissibility List.

Vehicle Import Compatibility (Admissibility) list for vehicles purchased in the United States

If the car isn't on this list then it can't be imported until it's 15 years old. I noticed the Roadster was just added, so there's hope the Model S might be on there soon.

6. Luclyluciano

Luclyluciano Member

The cars are so much more reasonably priced in the US. And so are the financing rates.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yes DRLs need to be locked on. You also need an immobilizer that meets a pretty stringent standard (they had to upgrade the standard Tesla FOBs for Canada). Notices in the car have to be billingual. I'm thinking there's something else I'm forgetting.

I know one fellow who does that. But he has dual citizenship, and kids still living in the US who don't mind hosting the registration address.

8. djp

djp Roadster 2.0 VIN939

There's a list of requirements on the Transport Canada site.

Before You Import - Explanations on Mandatory Compliance

You can thank the Canadian government and Canadian banks for that. The pricing difference between US and Canada is mostly import duties. Tesla could have reduced the import tax by doing final assembly in Canada, but chose not to go that route.

9. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yeah, "final assembly" could have been installing the battery packs...