Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying brand new TMX but with damage reported - please advise!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've reserved brand new showroom 2019 (Raven) TMX for decent amount 77k with 1400 miles (red/white/7seat/22 inch black rims) but just found out that it had a rear damage - clean title fixed by Tesla authorized mechanic.

Tesla stating:

" Per the vehicle history, this vehicle was involved in a collision on the rear and was repaired. No frame damage occurred due to this.

The liftgate, liftgate spoiler, and rear bumper were replaced due to impact. There was no frame damage, and everything has been repaired.

The repair was completed at a Tesla certified body shop using all OE parts, paints, etc. Our Tesla certified body shops even use the same air pressure when applying paint/clear to get to Tesla’s spec and match the colors precisely. "
Now I'm little bit hesitant if I should move forward with the purchase. For all the parts mentioned this seems to be as a big impact. Should I be demanding 3rd party inspection on this car or some certified letter from Tesla confirming what the salesman is stating?

This is a big purchase for me and this makes me second guess if there could be any potential issues with the battery, rear engine or other electronic components based on the impact.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Not to mention warranty
My question would be does it have the same warranty? Is this the LR? If so, it's a "good" price. Those are about $101K new. Are you sure it's a Raven?

It is sold as new. Title is clean. Warranty stays. I don't know how that may hold if any issues arise right? Since the work wasn't done at the Tesla but authorized mechanic they may say its not covered due to the accident or that it wasn't done by them. This is 2019 August so it is Raven.

I had similar damage after a run in with a pole...the fix sounds greater then what it really is. It’s just hard to not have to replace all of those parts to have everything match. The Tesla model X is relatively flush in the back and a square hit usually damages all of the above. I wouldn’t hesitate at all and/or be concerned with the repair.

Take the book value for the car and subtract about 5-10% if you are the first owner following the damage repair. That would be a fair price.
Personally I don't think that's a great price if it's Standard Range.

What do you mean its not a fair price?
Standard started at 81K + red (2500) + 22 inch(5500) + 7 seat (3500) so we are at 92.5k vs 77K. Making it 15.5K discount

I had similar damage after a run in with a pole...the fix sounds greater then what it really is. It’s just hard to not have to replace all of those parts to have everything match. The Tesla model X is relatively flush in the back and a square hit usually damages all of the above. I wouldn’t hesitate at all and/or be concerned with the repair.

Concerned about warranty coverage in case something start failing where tesla will try to wash their hands and blame on the accident. Thoughts?

It’s discounted for a reason.
Concerned about warranty coverage in case something start failing where tesla will try to wash their hands and blame on the accident. Thoughts?
not if it was fixed by a certified facility.

It’s discounted due to damage and mileage. It’s your call if the discount is enough. It should match a DV claim.

I would be curious if it shows up on a carfax.

I bought my MX in 2017. It was a demo just shy of 1000 miles. They subtracted $7100. There had also been some package/price adjustments around that time, so some of my adjustment was accounting for that. Still thought it might be an interesting data point for you.

What was your package? Mine is 19 (raven) on red/white/7seat with 22inch rims.

not if it was fixed by a certified facility.
- should I ask for some legal document that warranty won't be forfeited etc?

It’s discounted due to damage and mileage. It’s your call if the discount is enough. It should match a DV claim.
-still waiting on that invoice from them.

I would be curious if it shows up on a carfax.
- VIN shows clean

One anecdote for OP. I had a S75D that was hit twice in the span of a year, both times with no structural damage and the other driver admitted fault. They said they didn't see it...and it was red!

The damage seemed minimal and would have cost only a fraction of what the Tesla authorized shop charged if it had been the roughly equally priced Jag XKL it replaced. Many more parts were replaced than the insurance estimator originally spec'd. It took far longer than expected.

Having said this, in both cases the car came back better than it had been delivered from the factory. The paint was perfect and matched. Panel gaps were even, curb rash disappeared, new tires, alignment was perfect. When I turned in the car at end of the two year lease, The leasing company didn't charge me a penny for wear and tear (there was none) and someone got a better than factory produced car, likely at a good discount because of the Carfax hits.

Of course YMMV. I would confirm with Tesla that the original warranty applies without change and if so I wouldn't worry. If nothing was reported to Carfax, you will have to decide whether to disclose this incident should you sell the car.

15AF893A-5B65-4052-AEDE-9088E77272DC.png

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
- should I ask for some legal document that warranty won't be forfeited etc?

-still waiting on that invoice from them.

- VIN shows clean

CarFax & Clean title are different. A very damaged car will get a salvage title (and then possibly a rebuild title). Terms are different per state. Both will end up with reduced resale values. Salvage is much worse.

I bought this same X but backed out as I ran the VIN on Carfax and it showed damage reported. My concern was if I ever went to resell I’d potentially take a pretty big hit.

True, but it is a pretty big discount to reflect that lower value. If it is kept a long time, it wouldn't matter much.