Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying brand new TMX but with damage reported - please advise!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CarFax & Clean title are different. A very damaged car will get a salvage title (and then possibly a rebuild title). Terms are different per state. Both will end up with reduced resale values. Salvage is much worse.

True, but it is a pretty big discount to reflect that lower value. If it is kept a long time, it wouldn't matter much.
Fully agree I probably would have stuck with the deal but the other deciding factor for me was the transportation fee was excessive from Tesla to my location. That plus me being someone who tends to change cars fairly often wasn’t a good match personally given the potential resale hit. I think the car will look perfect. If it doesn’t I’ve had really good luck with Tesla addressing issues on new inventory vehicles even after delivery.

No they hold value much better than most vehicles. Just cars with accidents or damage reports may take a hit if you were to trade in etc. or a buyer may try and use it as a bargaining tool. Anybody buying in the future would likely run the Carfax. I just ran it as that discount seemed off to me and quite high from what Tesla normally does on inventory new of $1 per mile driven on average in price reduction.

- Ok so still ask for Carfax then?
If it's the same VIN as @macs5701 posted above, it does show damage. That will hurt the resale a bit, esp if you flip it fast. But, as the car depreciates over time, the price impact of the damage will be less.

Take for example - would you pay full value for this car from the dealer? Heck no. If there was no discount you would pick a different car from Tesla that is factory new and has never been damaged and repaired. Same for used. If there are two cars on the market that are 2 years old and have 40k miles - someone is more likely to buy the undamaged one if the prices were the same.

That's why they are discounting it. You get a good deal up front. If you keep the car until the wheels are almost ready to fall off after 15 years the damage won't matter at all when you sell it. If you sell it next year, a buyer would choose an undamaged car for the same price, but, since you paid less you could afford to sell it for less.

I don't have enough data to decide if the discount is appropriate.

- Do you mean Tesla doesn't have a good resale value? I thought they are solid on deprecation no?

Resale is overall pretty good - for a car that is this expensive. Remember driving a car off the lot is a big hit - lets say 15%. 15% of a 70k car is much more than a $40k car. You would have to lookup up depreciation comparisons.

I'm rambling, but hope it makes sense?

No they hold value much better than most vehicles. Just cars with accidents or damage reports may take a hit if you were to trade in etc. or a buyer may try and use it as a bargaining tool. Anybody buying in the future would likely run the Carfax. I just ran it as that discount seemed off to me and quite high from what Tesla normally does on inventory new of $1 per mile driven on average in price reduction.

Not sure how did you get a hold off the VIN but that's the one. We plan to hold to this car for a while. I'm confused showing clean title but with damage reported.

Just got a hold of the picture of the damage from Tesla (if they are not screwing with me) - see attached. No clue why would they do so much work for this damage though...
2020-02-04_17-41-03.png

If they can assure we get the full warranty out of this new car do you think its a good deal?

I bought the same exact X configuration as new inventory on the Tesla site about two weeks ago with the same configuration you mentioned and the same discount. I received the VIN when I got my order confirmation and I believe they showed it on the order page before I placed the deposit. Just assumed you bought the same one giving there were so many similarities and the discount was exactly the same. I ran Carfax after placing the deposit as a precaution and decided to cancel order.

I bought the same exact X configuration as new inventory on the Tesla site about two weeks ago with the same configuration you mentioned and the same discount. I received the VIN when I got my order confirmation and I believe they showed it on the order page before I placed the deposit. Just assumed you bought the same one giving there were so many similarities and the discount was exactly the same. I ran Carfax after placing the deposit as a precaution and decided to cancel order.

That's crazy what a coincidence...does the Carfax tells you more details about the damage?

That's crazy what a coincidence...does the Carfax tells you more details about the damage?
No nothing in terms of details unfortunately and yes that is a crazy coincidence...the damage does look pretty minimal in that photo. I can tell you I bought an inventory 3 last year and it didn’t have anything serious but there were some issues with rim rash paint touch ups etc. Tesla took care of everything for us to make it look like brand new and it had about 1200 miles on it. Not to say they do that in every situation but we had a really great experience buying new inventory. Again it wasn’t a good fit for me given I likely wouldn’t have kept it long term, but if you plan to it’s a good way to save some serious cash. My main issue was they wanted a $4000 transport fee talking to my local Tesla rep and that just kind of killed some of the savings for me.

There is such a thing as extended warranty?

Yes. Adds 4 years and 50K miles. $200 deductible (but you can stack up multiple things on one visit). And if it takes multiple visits it still all goes under that first $200 co-pay ;)

Price goes up to $5300 if not bought with 180 days. You can purchase it up until the original warranty expires.

You can only purchase it on Model S/X and you have to purchase it at the service center. Might be only available to original owner (I forget).

You do get credit if not fully used if you trade early and it is transferable.

I bought it.

Yes. Adds 4 years and 50K miles. $200 deductible (but you can stack up multiple things on one visit). And if it takes multiple visits it still all goes under that first $200 co-pay ;)

Price goes up to $5300 if not bought with 180 days. You can purchase it up until the original warranty expires.

You can only purchase it on Model S/X and you have to purchase it at the service center. Might be only available to original owner (I forget).

You do get credit if not fully used if you trade early and it is transferable.

I bought it.
I think that would make the deal...I'll see if they go for it...

Not sure how did you get a hold off the VIN but that's the one. We plan to hold to this car for a while. I'm confused showing clean title but with damage reported.

Just got a hold of the picture of the damage from Tesla (if they are not screwing with me) - see attached. No clue why would they do so much work for this damage though...View attachment 507979

If they can assure we get the full warranty out of this new car do you think its a good deal?

I would not worry about Warranty (you are buying a new car from Tesla) or the size of that damage. The big issue is, if you did try and sell or trade to anyone you would take a hit (which you already did save on).

Also is this exactly how you would configure it, if ordering. Compare to what you would order, not how great the deal is.

Do you really want Standard Range? When Long Range is only $4K more?

Would you have chosen Red? Lot's of folks love red, but do you want that much bling on your X?

Do you want to take care of white seats? I don't care how you slice it, they need a bit more TLC.

The only option I like on that car is the 7 seats. No way I'd want 22" wheels (expensive tires, hit on range, firmer ride and I don't care for dark wheels, but they do look pretty good on Red).