Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying brand new TMX but with damage reported - please advise!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@dk74 you have basically asked other people’s opinions on whether this is a good deal. I think @brkaus nailed it with noting that only you can determine what is a good value to you. And as @mswlogo just asked, is this the exact configuration you always wanted? Are you really ok with the limited range of the SR, and that actual range is typically much lower than rated range for a long list of reasons? Are you aware that range will be further reduced by the 22” wheels?

For me, my answer would be no to this seeming a good value. I would not want it without FSD, and adding $7k for that would bring it up to $84k. That just doesn’t seem any bargain to me for a SR MX with 1400 miles on it. Never mind whether it’s been repaired from an accident.

I also don’t see Tesla’s holding their resale value well. I am probably underwater on my MX after I put $25k down and have been paying more than $1k a month for over 2 years. I’m not particularly bothered by this, but I mention it because if feeling like you are getting a great deal on this car is a big part of what attracts you to it, then I would suggest to walk past it.

Reactions: mswlogo
I would not worry about Warranty (you are buying a new car from Tesla) or the size of that damage. The big issue is, if you did try and sell or trade to anyone you would take a hit (which you already did save on).

Also is this exactly how you would configure it, if ordering. Compare to what you would order, not how great the deal is.

Do you really want Standard Range? When Long Range is only $4K more?

Would you have chosen Red? Lot's of folks love red, but do you want that much bling on your X?

Do you want to take care of white seats? I don't care how you slice it, they need a bit more TLC.

The only option I like on that car is the 7 seats. No way I'd want 22" wheels (expensive tires, hit on range, firmer ride and I don't care for dark wheels, but they do look pretty good on Red).

Configuration would be very similar. Either Red or White but both on white interior. Long range is 4K only if you go base. With red on white that would be 8K difference(not including extra seats - no biggy). Not interested in base LR.

Not the biggest fan of the 22" but I guess I can swap them once I need to tires. Sell 22 and hopefully be a wash.

Range wise Standard is totally fine. Typical day no more than 60 miles and on some occasions 100 max. Not doing many trips so no issue there.

As far as the battery pack please correct me if I'm wrong. The standard range (raven) comes equipped with 100 pack but limited to 80 (software limit) correct? That would bring the possibility in the future to have it paid unlock? Also if that is the case I can easily charge this battery 100% since technically I would be charging it only to 80%. Thoughts on that?

care to elaborate more?

A TMC member recently sold his late 2018 MX 100D with under 20k miles to a wholesaler for $76k. He listed it here and got no hits. I think he paid over $114k for his car just 18 months ago. The reason being his car had bumper damage and the repair showed up in carfax since his insurance got involved.

I can’t speak for 100D but 75D MX doesn’t have a good resale in my experience. Part of the reason is a new MX LR is approx $20k+ cheaper now (compared to price in late 2018).

Fully agree I probably would have stuck with the deal but the other deciding factor for me was the transportation fee was excessive from Tesla to my location. That plus me being someone who tends to change cars fairly often wasn’t a good match personally given the potential resale hit. I think the car will look perfect. If it doesn’t I’ve had really good luck with Tesla addressing issues on new inventory vehicles even after delivery.

If you’re changing cars often, perhaps Model X isn’t the model to get.

A TMC member recently sold his late 2018 MX 100D with under 20k miles to a wholesaler for $76k. He listed it here and got no hits. I think he paid over $114k for his car just 18 months ago. The reason being his car had bumper damage and the repair showed up in carfax since his insurance got involved.

I can’t speak for 100D but 75D MX doesn’t have a good resale in my experience. Part of the reason is a new MX LR is approx $20k+ cheaper now (compared to price in late 2018).

@vinny84 I've canceled the order - they didn't want to add fsd nor warranty. Gut feeling that something new might be just around the corner - search continues. Thank you all again for your insight!!!

yeah nice transparency although if it would not be on the carfax I doubt they would reveal it. Show me the carfax!

That is just it. Other "new" cars you bought may have had damage and that damage would not be on CarFax. Because their is no law that requires them to reveal the damage provided it is below the 5-8% value of the new car. And the dealers and manufacturers get to set the value of the damage.

Not to mention warranty

It is sold as new. Title is clean. Warranty stays. I don't know how that may hold if any issues arise right? Since the work wasn't done at the Tesla but authorized mechanic they may say its not covered due to the accident or that it wasn't done by them. This is 2019 August so it is Raven.
if its new, new warranty etc.. AND you get a decent discount.. thats great... get it

Hi dk74,

You asked for a correction above on the battery...
The SR has a Small battery.
The LR has a Large battery.
There may have been a one off or two of a software limited battery
but this is not currently their practice.
The Large battery is too expensive...

One other consideration you may want to be aware of for your future purchase:
Across the charging range the larger battery charges a bit faster than the smaller battery.
This comes in very handy for long road trips...

You WILL enjoy your car when you get it...

Good luck,

Shawn