TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Buying CPO with accident history

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Lifeinabox, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox New Member

Hi, long-time lurker, first time poster. Jumped on what I thought was a great deal last week - P85, 48,000 miles, 21" wheels, tech, ultra hifi and carbon fiber for a little over $40k. Learned today from my SA that the car was involved in a "minor" accident. Confirmed on the carfax report. SA says that no airbags deployed and no body panels were replaced but the accident was reported the insurance co and now on title. I'm leaning towards passing but wanted to see what others might do. The next comparable cars are $5-8k more.

2. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

Request the repair bill, and insist on getting it ASAP. Are you able to transfer the deposit still? I was under the impression that you only had 72 hours to do this.

3. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox New Member

SA says I can still transfer and helped me identify a couple of options.

4. rocketshipp85

rocketshipp85 Member

What about asking for a couple grand off. I think their was someone else that this happened to and they offered like 3k and he got it up to 5k or something.

5. Cheerose

Cheerose Member

Since they need to go through the CPO inspection process, it may not be a bad thing to keep the purchase; especially with the CPO warranty in place ( I would assume that it is 2 years and 100K max miles).
    This would be a whole different story if you were buying it from a 3rd party/used car dealership

6. kev1n

kev1n Member

nobody panels were replaced? what was the accident then? what were the repairs done?

7. scottycs

scottycs Member

accidents don't go on the title unless the vehicle is branded. From the sounds of it, i wouldn't worry. I had them respray the front end of my car, which is "bodywork."

8. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox New Member

Spoke to the SA again and he said no repairs done by Tesla, which doesn't rule out repairs being done by a third party. He was unwilling to reduce the price or even waive the transportation fee. Said the reduced price reflects the accident. Tempted to ask for my deposit back and wait for a car I like with clean title.

9. Lifeinabox

Lifeinabox New Member

Should also add that Carfax lists the following:
    accident reported
    Damage Report Involving rear impact with another motor vehicle Rear area primarily damaged
    Vehicle drivable

10. kev1n

kev1n Member

i think it is fairly priced considering the accident, assuming there are no issues with the repair.

11. ada43952

ada43952 Member

If you plan on trading this vehicle in 2 - 3 years, I say pass, but if this is going to be your car for the next 5 or more years then keep it, it's a great deal! Any issue arising from the accident will show during the warranty! My 2013 S85 with 46Kmiles was $46 and yours is the Performance! If it were me, I'd have it delivered to a SC within the region that won't have a transportation charge, and fly out to pick it up.

12. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

Don't sign the mvpa until you physically inspect the car prior to delivery.

Worst case, you don't accept the car for whatever reason and they aren't willing to refund/transfer your deposit (I doubt they'd refuse since you weren't aware of prior accidents when placing the deposit) . You'd only be out 1k and certain this car was not up to par.

Best case, it's not that big of a deal and you still saved $5-8k. Tesla does reduce the price of prior accident CPO's, so your DS wasn't lying there.

13. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

My opinion: Take the car, it still has a warranty for anything that might go wrong.
    Which I doubt, its body work, it's either repaired or not.

Great price for a P85, I'd totally go for it.

14. Tforme

Tforme Member

A contrary opinion: I'd totally avoid it. Any documented history of an accident is the kiss of death when you attempt to trade or sell it. Expect 15-20% less value

15. Scoopa

Scoopa Member

I agree it depends on how long you want the car for. If you're going to own it for awhile, and you inspect the car, test drive, etc, then the price is sweet and reflects the accident. Sure you'll resell it for less, but you'll also be buying it for less. Let us all know if you pull or pulled the trigger or pass. Good luck!