Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying CPO with accident history

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, long-time lurker, first time poster. Jumped on what I thought was a great deal last week - P85, 48,000 miles, 21" wheels, tech, ultra hifi and carbon fiber for a little over $40k. Learned today from my SA that the car was involved in a "minor" accident. Confirmed on the carfax report. SA says that no airbags deployed and no body panels were replaced but the accident was reported the insurance co and now on title. I'm leaning towards passing but wanted to see what others might do. The next comparable cars are $5-8k more.

• Helpful
Reactions: David.85D
Since they need to go through the CPO inspection process, it may not be a bad thing to keep the purchase; especially with the CPO warranty in place ( I would assume that it is 2 years and 100K max miles).
This would be a whole different story if you were buying it from a 3rd party/used car dealership

Spoke to the SA again and he said no repairs done by Tesla, which doesn't rule out repairs being done by a third party. He was unwilling to reduce the price or even waive the transportation fee. Said the reduced price reflects the accident. Tempted to ask for my deposit back and wait for a car I like with clean title.

If you plan on trading this vehicle in 2 - 3 years, I say pass, but if this is going to be your car for the next 5 or more years then keep it, it's a great deal! Any issue arising from the accident will show during the warranty! My 2013 S85 with 46Kmiles was $46 and yours is the Performance! If it were me, I'd have it delivered to a SC within the region that won't have a transportation charge, and fly out to pick it up.

Don't sign the mvpa until you physically inspect the car prior to delivery.

Worst case, you don't accept the car for whatever reason and they aren't willing to refund/transfer your deposit (I doubt they'd refuse since you weren't aware of prior accidents when placing the deposit) . You'd only be out 1k and certain this car was not up to par.

Best case, it's not that big of a deal and you still saved $5-8k. Tesla does reduce the price of prior accident CPO's, so your DS wasn't lying there.

I agree it depends on how long you want the car for. If you're going to own it for awhile, and you inspect the car, test drive, etc, then the price is sweet and reflects the accident. Sure you'll resell it for less, but you'll also be buying it for less. Let us all know if you pull or pulled the trigger or pass. Good luck!

Quick update - my car is ready! I'm impressed that it only took a month to deliver and prep. I definitely waffled back and forth nearly pulling the trigger on a half dozen cars while waiting, but this is still a great deal even with the accident. I'll go over the car with a fine tooth comb, and am prepared to walk should I find any defects.

Reactions: Scoopa
Quick update - my car is ready! I'm impressed that it only took a month to deliver and prep. I definitely waffled back and forth nearly pulling the trigger on a half dozen cars while waiting, but this is still a great deal even with the accident. I'll go over the car with a fine tooth comb, and am prepared to walk should I find any defects.
Good luck! I'm cautiously optimistic that you'll love your car and it will ride great. Enjoy!

Reactions: Lifeinabox