TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Buying "dead" Tesla

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Manzacoty, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

I found a 2013 P85 that is going to go through a dealer auction next week. It has about 85k miles and some cosmetic issues. Known issues are a cracked windshield and the touchscreen has a crack in it as well.

I went to look at it in person yesterday and it was complete dead. The doors wouldn't open and the trunk would not close. I have learned that there is a 12v battery that is required for it to come alive. I don't know if that is the only issue or if it only needs a new 12v battery.

I know there is an 8 year warranty on the drivetrain but I don't know what is covered under this.

So, my question is - would you take the risk buying a MS under the circumstances and relying on drive train warranty? How much of a discount would you expect for you to buy?

This will be my first MS so I don't know what could go wrong to make it inoperable.

I was going to make another visit this weekend to see if I could "jump" it before it runs through the sale.

2. bleebdat

bleebdat Member

Depends on how cheap you are getting it, but based on your initial questions run away.

Jumping the 12v is easy enough so you could see if you can turn it on.

3. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

4. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Sounds like it was horribly abused... might be cheaper to buy a CPO car than deal with that mess..

5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Not sure if the drive train warranty is good if it has a salvage title???

6. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

Not a salvaged title. It was traded in and seller is Tesla Motors.

7. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

Well - assuming it works - I'm thinking high $20s. The windshield is $1k and the MCU is another $4kish

8. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Assuming it's functional I'd bet it'll go for the Mid $30s at the very least (probably higher). Initial repair costs would put it near buying a used one. Hidden repair costs might put it at CPO range. Why take the chance at all?

Or better yet, wait for the Model 3 so you can get a much better car at a similar price.

9. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

If Tesla, not sure why they wouldn't at least get it running. Sounds like there may be more hidden.

Tesla could get parts and labor at cost.

10. Camera-Cruiser

Camera-Cruiser Fully Charged

If it is at auction, you are 100% not buying it from Tesla. And if Tesla sent it to auction, that means they really don't want it. Stay away.

11. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

True. A lot of cars at auction sit for awhile before they are even brought there. Could have worked when traded but then the battery died as it made its way to auction.

I'm going to give it a shot to see if it's "running". If not I'll pass. Would like to go CPO but a bit out of my price range.

Thanks for the input!

12. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Another vote for NO, even if it's "running".

13. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Considering barriers placed on parts and activation for salvage Teslas, I would advise against it.

• Like x 1
  14. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

Thanks - great point.

15. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

A blanket "NO" is just silly. Surely it's worth $10, in parts alone. Okay. Now how about $400? Sure. See--an overall "no" is a waste of time. Considerations: are you able to part cars out? If so, you're looking at values of five-figures, assuming it's not wrecked or something. As for getting it running beforehand, YES! Bring a jumpstarter and plug it in under the nose cone. See if it'll run and I find it amazing that Tesla would not have replaced the 12-volt battery before trying to get sold at an auction--a waste of our TSLA value as it suggests terrible stewardship to not spend $180 for a new 12-volt and then getting a five-figure loss at auction . . . .

• Like x 1
  16. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I agree with above assessment, esp on value of parting it out.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it's just bad stewardship in not getting the car running. There is likely more that they could see from the logs/history/whatever and they decided ditching it was the best course of action.

17. Camera-Cruiser

Good luck getting the logs out of Tesla. Everything has a price, but if the OP wants a driver, as opposed to a project car, it may not be worth it.

• Like x 1
  18. Manzacoty

Manzacoty Member

I did talk to a Tessa dealer about the car. They said they don't retail their cars with that many miles. They (Tesla) are actually big sellers at the auctions. I see them there all the time.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm most likely going to pass unless the price is real right. Just trying to figure out the price that makes sense....

19. Camera-Cruiser

That's my point. Tesla doesn't want to make a high milage car a CPO and provide a warranty for it, and a Tesla without warranty can get expensive to fix quickly.

Good luck in your search.

• Like x 1
  20. ev-now

ev-now Member

Tesla will not give you logs on a CPO car you are buying (or I am told you own one you bought from new) - so no chance there.
    This is a part-out. If you cannot afford a CPO, then you cannot afford to risk this. If Tesla are really upstream, and they can't provide it in working state - then it's a part-out project only.