Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying "dead" Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP did not say what he has in mind for the car

As a flipper it is a bad idea because any somewhat knowledgeable consumer would not touch this car knowing what out of pocket Tesla repairs cost and the bag of unknown problems the car may have

As a DIY fix er upper, even an electric engineer or skilled mechanic in EVs would shy away without the technical manuals.

I have no idea what the parts might be worth but that also requires some skill to take apart blindly, safely, and without damage. OP should take a look at the 12v -- I suspect he will be amazed at the complexity of just that simple component. These Tesla cars are just not like a simple ICE car and your average auction hunter is way over his/her head.

I forgot to mention that as it doesn't run at the moment you also cannot guarantee that the grease adequate in the motor and gear housing. In addition to the current state of charge on the main battery pack. If both of these need replacing then you're aren't going to be in for a fun time.

There isn't really a lucrative market for old Tesla parts. I'm sure you can find some poor sap, but is it really worth your time when the payoff might be small at best?

As a consumer, I'd rather buy a car and/or parts that I know will work.

I forgot to mention that as it doesn't run at the moment you also cannot guarantee that the grease adequate in the motor and gear housing. In addition to the current state of charge on the main battery pack. If both of these need replacing then you're aren't going to be in for a fun time.

There isn't really a lucrative market for old Tesla parts. I'm sure you can find some poor sap, but is it really worth your time when the payoff might be small at best?

As a consumer, I'd rather buy a car and/or parts that I know will work.
Wouldn't the issues with the motor and/or battery be covered under the warranty?

If I get it - I won't be parting it out. It would be for a daily driver.

Everyone has a different opinion. ;)

I'd say if:
1. you jump the 12v battery in the nosecone, and you can get it to power up
2. and the main battery still has a decent charge (>10%)
3. and you get no error messages on the console
4. and it hasn't been in an accident
5. and everything else basically 'works' when energized
6. and you can get it for a good price
7. and it's not a salvage title

.... then I'd say for $5k more to fix the MCU and windshield, you could end up with a really good deal. Sure there's risk, but no risk, no reward.

Reactions: Manzacoty
I agree with the above post.

If in fact there is a clear title and no salvage title, but just a high mileage trade in that Tesla does not want to mess with then:
1. It should still be covered by Tesla's 8 year unlimited mileage factory warranty
2. A cracked screen can be replaced.

So, it may be a good deal, depending on the ultimate price. Dead 12 V batteries will not let the car start...ask me how I know!

Good luck on your decision.

Reactions: Manzacoty