TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Buying EAP should be transportable between Teslas

Discussion in 'Model S' started by sparkypete, Aug 21, 2017.

1. sparkypete

sparkypete Member

EAP still seems like an expensive option to me and is of little use on country roads where I live. I am almost tempted though just for playing with the tech.

Had a thought though - I think like any software if you buy it you should be able to transfer it to another car at a later date - just like installing Office on a new PC.

That all makes me think these things could be stored with your cloud-based driver profile in future. This could even include performance enhancements and extra infotainment so if you rent a Tesla (or summon via Tesla network) you get all the features you've paid for in your profile.

Gamification of options could also harness brand loyalty. My sons are mad on collecting extra details on Halo etc - if every time they bought a new Tesla or achieved a goal they got a different level of LED daylight logo on the back and on the main screen they'd love it.

Stupid idea?

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

That's very reasonable.

However, it is not practiced right now because when you sell your car, whatever you purchased stay with that car and are transferred to a next owner. So no double dipping.

Furthermore, it gets more complicated because the hardware changes, AP1 to AP2, and now AP2.1...

3. ev-now

ev-now Member

Just because something is software, does not (IMO) mean it should be able to be transferred to another whatever platform. Apart from the fact that physical sensors might be different, so might the compute platform, processor, memory, etc.

When you bought a computer which came with Office that license was NOT transferrable, it was (generally) an OEM copy, which was tied to the computer you purchased it with.

Almost everything is driven by software now, from many people's watches to your TV - features do not move forward to future purchases, why would they?

Now a completely separate issue is whether you as an owner of lessee got value for any money you might have spent on FSD or EAP - that might be a reason to allow your access to features to transfer to your new car if you stay loyal. But that's all to do with undelivered (or under-delivered) promise, nothing to do with the way the feature was implemented.