Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying from a dealer a car with fsd

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I found a MY with fsd package included in a third party dealer. The car is almost new 2022 with 1.5k miles on it. The car was aquired by the dealer in an auction. I have found some information in internet saying that tesla can removed the fsd when i xfered the car to me since it was bought in an auction..

Has someone bought a car from a dealer with fsd or EAP that had been removed after xfer ownwership?

I know that if i buy from a person directly then it will be xfer with no issues.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

I found a MY with fsd package included in a third party dealer. The car is almost new 2022 with 1.5k miles on it. The car was aquired by the dealer in an auction. I have found some information in internet saying that tesla can removed the fsd when i xfered the car to me since it was bought in an auction..

Has someone bought a car from a dealer with fsd or EAP that had been removed after xfer ownwership?

I know that if i buy from a person directly then it will be xfer with no issues.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
It's a confusing mess.

You can't find any official policy on fsd removal anywhere.

It's understood in theory that fsd is attached to the Vin so it should not be removed. In reality, that is not true.

Cars came out from auctions have been stripped of fsd either before or after you take it home. But again, there's no policy posted. It's just understood that way.

Your chance of losing is quite great.

You can fight but it's messy. The dealer who sold you the car didn't take the fsd away. The culprit is Tesla itself.

Upvote 0
It's a confusing mess.

You can't find any official policy on fsd removal anywhere.

It's understood in theory that fsd is attached to the Vin so it should not be removed. In reality, that is not true.

Cars came out from auctions have been stripped of fsd either before or after you take it home. But again, there's no policy posted. It's just understood that way.

Your chance of losing is quite great.

You can fight but it's messy. The dealer who sold you the car didn't take the fsd away. The culprit is Tesla itself.
Thanks

Upvote 0
If the dealer acquired the car from auction, expect FSD to be removed (do not pay any additional for this car because of FSD than you would if it didnt have it, and price it against other vehicles with standard autopilot)

If the car is a local trade to the dealer and was not acquired at auction, does that change the outcome? In that case, is it reasonable to expect a car with FSD to retain FSD?

Upvote 0
If the car is a local trade to the dealer and was not acquired at auction, does that change the outcome? In that case, is it reasonable to expect a car with FSD to retain FSD?

If the original owner traded to that dealer, and then that dealer sells it to another person, yes. Hard to verify custody of a used vehicle though.

Upvote 0
The question here is whether or not the car reverted to TESLA ownership at any point. If it was traded in to Tesla, they strip all the software entitlements (but that often doesn't actually HAPPEN until well after the fact). If the car has transacted entirely between non-Tesla parties, there's no risk. The problem with auctions is it can be hard to determine chain of custody.

Reactions: JaeTheDev
Upvote 0
The question here is whether or not the car reverted to TESLA ownership at any point. If it was traded in to Tesla, they strip all the software entitlements (but that often doesn't actually HAPPEN until well after the fact). If the car has transacted entirely between non-Tesla parties, there's no risk. The problem with auctions is it can be hard to determine chain of custody.
Very well stated.

Upvote 0