Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying from a Private third party

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, I am a total newbie to all things Tesla but had my EV charger installed yesterday. So now it's time to buy something! AP2 cars are hard to find. And beyond the usual "used car salesman" tropes, I think I may have found something from an individual that matches what I want. The only downside I see now is no ability to buy a Tesla extended warranty at 50000 miles. The car has 17k and the factory warranty is good to Dec. 2020, battery to Dec. 2024 It's a 75D, local to where I am. I would be interested in people's thoughts on what I should do, what questions I need to ask, and what unique Tesla situations I need to keep in mind as I embark on a journey so many of you are enjoying. Thanks!

make sure the warranty is in tact, verify VIN/warranty with a tesla store
i wouldnt worry too much since it is under warranty still so if anything comes up, you can just bring it in.
other than that, make sure cosmetically, it is to your liking

Hello everyone, I am a total newbie to all things Tesla but had my EV charger installed yesterday. So now it's time to buy something! AP2 cars are hard to find. And beyond the usual "used car salesman" tropes, I think I may have found something from an individual that matches what I want. The only downside I see now is no ability to buy a Tesla extended warranty at 50000 miles. The car has 17k and the factory warranty is good to Dec. 2020, battery to Dec. 2024 It's a 75D, local to where I am. I would be interested in people's thoughts on what I should do, what questions I need to ask, and what unique Tesla situations I need to keep in mind as I embark on a journey so many of you are enjoying. Thanks!
I'm not sure I'd buy the extended warranty anyway. But that said I think you can purchase it unless you buy from a ice dealer. I know you could have the current owner purchase it before selling to you and it would transfer.

I bought my S from a private party. Since I wanted the extended warranty I paid him $4000 to buy it before transferring the car to me.

I got a purchase agreement document on line and filled out two copies, one for the car, and another for the “extended service agreement” or whatever Tesla’s exact words are for the extended warranty.

With the signed agreements, I paid the $4000 up front and a significant deposit on the car (10%). I paid the balance when I got the signed title and the car.

Good Luck with your purchase,

GSP

Note! YOU DO NOT NEED THE CURRENT OWNER TO BUY THE ESA!! Any subsequent buyer of a used Tesla can buy the ESA as long as the car has not passed through a used car dealer and it’s under 51000 miles.

Tesla changed this policy two years ago.
Do you know if the pricing is locked in for the car or just for the original owner? When I bought my car, the price was lower and still shows as $2100 for 2 years or $4250 for 4 years. On a newer car we have from 2017. it shows as $2600 for 2 years or $4750 for 4 years. I'm planning on selling my S 90D but am not certain if the lower price is available for me or if the new buyer would pay the same price. I would think it would be based on when the car was originally sold...

All reputable used car dealers should take a dealer title to the car from the previous owner. When you buy a used car, you get the dealer title, not the signed title from the previous owner. I also said "reputable". ;)

Those title changes show up on carfax and other VIN searching tools.
In the last 50 years I've purchased dozens of pre owned cars from franchised new car dealers. None have ever been titled in the dealers name. At least in Missouri and Illinois the title has a dealer assignment area on the title. If the car was titled to dealer a one owner car would show on carfax ad multiple owners.

I would never purchase an extended warranty. While some repairs after warranty are expensive, over the years I have owned my 2014 Tesla, the cost has not added up to the cost of having a warranty. I currently have about 155K miles on the odometer and the car is in pristine shape.

Brent

I would never purchase an extended warranty. While some repairs after warranty are expensive, over the years I have owned my 2014 Tesla, the cost has not added up to the cost of having a warranty. I currently have about 155K miles on the odometer and the car is in pristine shape.

Brent

GheT1x1.jpg

Thanks everyone. I saw the car today and entered into a purchase agreement. Can't wait to get it, but it will be a few days. Financing and title paperwork and the MLK Holiday. That said, I would be the third owner, and the guy I am buying it from got it from a used car dealer in NC. So there is no chance to buy the ESA after (my) car runs out of factory warranty in Dec. 2020. That's nearly two years from now. I am thinking I will take my chances. My new car to come is a Dec/16 75D build with everything under the sun including EAP, FSD and lifetime supercharging. I might have paid premium at $63k, but it has many features a new one would not have and it has 18k miles. The back seat looks like it has never been used. So I am leaning towards taking my chances. Like I said, can't wait. Just need some inspiration for a vanity plate.

If you're lucky, there's still a chance you can get the ESA. Once you take delivery of the car and it appears on your TESLA ACCOUNT page, the option to buy the ESA might be available to you to purchase if the car hasn't been flagged in Tesla's system. That's happened to a few people here. Good luck!

Thanks everyone. I saw the car today and entered into a purchase agreement. Can't wait to get it, but it will be a few days. Financing and title paperwork and the MLK Holiday. That said, I would be the third owner, and the guy I am buying it from got it from a used car dealer in NC. So there is no chance to buy the ESA after (my) car runs out of factory warranty in Dec. 2020. That's nearly two years from now. I am thinking I will take my chances. My new car to come is a Dec/16 75D build with everything under the sun including EAP, FSD and lifetime supercharging. I might have paid premium at $63k, but it has many features a new one would not have and it has 18k miles. The back seat looks like it has never been used. So I am leaning towards taking my chances. Like I said, can't wait. Just need some inspiration for a vanity plate.

Ugh, so lucky. I know what exact car you are talking about. If you ever want to sell it, please contact me! I REALLY wanted that car.