Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying from Dealer vs Tesla CPO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suggest buying from a private party (preferably from California or Florida) with AP1. After you found a decent one, make the seller purchase the extended warranty for $4,000 which can be transferred to you after the sale closes. Transfer fee is $100. Depending on where you live to can go with a 60(D) or 75(D). If it's getting cold get the 75. Otherwise 60 is enough for max. 130 miles daily. You won't need a wall charger. A NEMA 14-50 outlet is sufficient.

So, I am in the same boat as you, in that fact that I will be in the market for a vehicle in the near future!

I am currently leasing a 2014 Dodge Charger R/T (V8) and the lease will be up in July 2017!

I love the look of the Tesla Model S and I am sure I could use the gas savings.

I have decided to go CPO, as I don't have a brand new one in my budget!

Although I don't drive much, I am thinking about an 85kw battery to give me a little more range!

I have looked locally for ones to buy from dealers and private sellers, however you just can't beat the warranty on a CPO!

The pricing is similar as well, so why not go CPO?

I am currently averaging about 7k - 8k miles/year as I live close to work!

So, to the original poster, I recommend going CPO over from a private seller!

You get the 4 year warranty from the date you purchase the vehicle, so just like a brand new warranty!

Also, if I read some other threads correctly, you get an 8 year/unlimited mile warranty on the battery!

Last edited:
Lifetime supercharging is based on the original delivery date of the car. Not the CPO delivery date. So all CPO cars will likely have free supercharging.

I don't think so. At least this is up for debate. From what I've read, Tesla has not categorically announced how THEY plan on applying the new SC policy with CPO cars purchased after 12/31/16. There's no guarantee that they will continue free SC for the new CPO owners.

Lifetime supercharging is based on the original delivery date of the car. Not the CPO delivery date. So all CPO cars will likely have free supercharging.
There is no basis for your assumption. When Tesla owns the car and prepares it as a CPO, it's a whole new ball game. The car comes with whatever Tesla wants it to come with. This is an entirely different situation than a private sale. Tesla may decide to include free supercharging, but I doubt it will as there is no advantage in doing so. Tesla has a promise to keep to original owners. It doesn't have a promise to keep to the car that's traded in. The car won't know.

So, to the original poster, I recommend going CPO over from a private seller!
You get the 4 year warranty from the date you purchase the vehicle, so just like a brand new warranty!
Also, if I read some other threads correctly, you get an 8 year/unlimited mile warranty on the battery!

OP will only get about 1.67 years of warranty at indicated mileage (assuming 6K of recreational - might be more, you'll be surprised how many excuses you make to use the MS over whatever else the household has). Drivetrain will be 8 years from original ex-factory date, not CPO date of purchase. Mileage will be unlimited UNLESS it's an old S60 in which case 125K - so current mileage at purchase will be important with high annual.

That high mileage plays heavily into the warranty equation between CPO and private sale with ESA ... just make sure you are paying for something which will make a material difference either way.

Good luck. And unless you plan on using the Supercharger for your commute, don't sweat the loss of unlimited - focus on getting the right car for you!

Wow, more good points.

Suggestion: call and talk to a Tesla Owner Advisor *today*. Issues:
1. Can you put down a $2500 deposit by the end of the year to secure a CPO, new build-to-order or new inventory car, to be named at a future date?
2. Does putting down your deposit now guarantee that you will receive free lifetime supercharging?
3. Can you get your deposit refunded if you decide to buy privately instead?
4. In a private sale, will you receive (these should all be "yes", you're just checking):
a. balance of existing warranty
b. transfer of any extended warranty
c. free lifetime supercharging
d. do any of these answers change for an S60 or any other previous or current model?
5. If you're getting pretty close to a car config you want (e.g., S75D, 2014 or later, AP1), ask if the OA can look up to see what he/she has in inventory that might be a close match. I love ev-cpo.com and look at it often, but still wonder whether Tesla has some inventory that isn't visible to outsiders.

WRITE DOWN THE ANSWERS. Send your notes in an email to the Owner Advisor and ask him/her to confirm their accuracy. There have been, um, disagreements in interpretations in the past from different OAs at different sites. You need a written record to point to.

One other suggestion: buy a 2014 or later. I had a 2013 P85+ that I loved. And I miss it even now. :) But I traded it in for a 2016 model partly because the 2012/2013s have garnered a bit of a reputation for a slightly higher issue rate. ALL of my issues with that car were taken care of promptly and lovingly by Tesla service, and with your CPO warranty you'd be in good shape, but if you're relying on the car every day you want to minimize down time. I don't have data to back up my assertions, but based on anecdotes on this website, strongly suspect that the 2014s and later have had some fixes put in that ups their reliability.

Best of luck,
Alan

Thank you all. I've gain so much knowledge today. The numbers matters the most. My price range is really
OP will only get about 1.67 years of warranty at indicated mileage (assuming 6K of recreational - might be more, you'll be surprised how many excuses you make to use the MS over whatever else the household has). Drivetrain will be 8 years from original ex-factory date, not CPO date of purchase. Mileage will be unlimited UNLESS it's an old S60 in which case 125K - so current mileage at purchase will be important with high annual.

That high mileage plays heavily into the warranty equation between CPO and private sale with ESA ... just make sure you are paying for something which will make a material difference either way.

Good luck. And unless you plan on using the Supercharger for your commute, don't sweat the loss of unlimited - focus on getting the right car for you!

I'm really going to dig through the CPO inventory and also reach out to tesla as recommended by previous post. If an attractive private sale comes up I may jump on that.

Wow, more good points.

Suggestion: call and talk to a Tesla Owner Advisor *today*. Issues:
1. Can you put down a $2500 deposit by the end of the year to secure a CPO, new build-to-order or new inventory car, to be named at a future date?
2. Does putting down your deposit now guarantee that you will receive free lifetime supercharging?
3. Can you get your deposit refunded if you decide to buy privately instead?
4. In a private sale, will you receive (these should all be "yes", you're just checking):
a. balance of existing warranty
b. transfer of any extended warranty
c. free lifetime supercharging
d. do any of these answers change for an S60 or any other previous or current model?
5. If you're getting pretty close to a car config you want (e.g., S75D, 2014 or later, AP1), ask if the OA can look up to see what he/she has in inventory that might be a close match. I love ev-cpo.com and look at it often, but still wonder whether Tesla has some inventory that isn't visible to outsiders.

WRITE DOWN THE ANSWERS. Send your notes in an email to the Owner Advisor and ask him/her to confirm their accuracy. There have been, um, disagreements in interpretations in the past from different OAs at different sites. You need a written record to point to.

One other suggestion: buy a 2014 or later. I had a 2013 P85+ that I loved. And I miss it even now. :) But I traded it in for a 2016 model partly because the 2012/2013s have garnered a bit of a reputation for a slightly higher issue rate. ALL of my issues with that car were taken care of promptly and lovingly by Tesla service, and with your CPO warranty you'd be in good shape, but if you're relying on the car every day you want to minimize down time. I don't have data to back up my assertions, but based on anecdotes on this website, strongly suspect that the 2014s and later have had some fixes put in that ups their reliability.

Best of luck,
Alan

Alan thanks a mil,
I've got my current ICE for 13 years now and expect to have the model s for a long time.
After listening to the suggestions from the tesla nation 2014 + is the way to go.

Reactions: RScottyL
I would eliminate option i, for the reasons stated by @kort677, among others.

Beyond that, your budget should dictate. If you can afford a new inventory car, get one. You will benefit from the latest technology and the quality improvements that have been made over time. If you cannot afford an inventory car, go the CPO route. Even without AP driving a Model S is significantly more enjoyable than an ICE.

Just to make sure you understand, since your delineation of options implies you may not, the CPO warranty (4 years/50k miles) takes effect the day you purchase it. It does not add onto the end of the new warranty. In other words, if you buy a CPO tomorrow the warranty expires on 12/28/2020 or after odometer reads 50k miles more than it has tomorrow. This is true no matter what CPO you buy, whether it's a 2012 with 49k miles or a 2015 with 5k miles.

I don't think so. At least this is up for debate. From what I've read, Tesla has not categorically announced how THEY plan on applying the new SC policy with CPO cars purchased after 12/31/16. There's no guarantee that they will continue free SC for the new CPO owners.

There is no basis for your assumption. When Tesla owns the car and prepares it as a CPO, it's a whole new ball game. The car comes with whatever Tesla wants it to come with. This is an entirely different situation than a private sale. Tesla may decide to include free supercharging, but I doubt it will as there is no advantage in doing so. Tesla has a promise to keep to original owners. It doesn't have a promise to keep to the car that's traded in. The car won't know.

I thought Tesla had confirmed the new policy would only apply to new cars; but, I guess I dreamed that... I didn't think model s and x volumes would matter that much and that the change was mostly in anticipation of model 3. Either way; sorry for the misinformation.