Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying from New Hampshire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was curious to hear from anyone living in New Hampshire who has recently purchased a Tesla and what delivery options were available. 4 years ago, I was able to have my Model 3 delivered straight to my home in NH. It was easy, convenient, and was done at no additional fee. It seems like things have gotten more complicated since then and I can't seem to get a straight answer, even from Tesla after reaching out via chat.

I understand we can NOT take delivery in Massachusetts without paying MA sales tax. Alternatively, I believe we CAN pick up in NJ or NY (without paying tax?) and temporary tags are issued. But are home delivery options still available and is there an additional fee (in addition to the standard transportation fee)? Any input would be appreciated. I was originally going to wait until Tesla's first NH sales center opens to get my next Tesla, but recent price drops and tax credits are changing my mind. ;)

Reactions: kayak1
Was curious to hear from anyone living in New Hampshire who has recently purchased a Tesla and what delivery options were available. 4 years ago, I was able to have my Model 3 delivered straight to my home in NH. It was easy, convenient, and was done at no additional fee. It seems like things have gotten more complicated since then and I can't seem to get a straight answer, even from Tesla after reaching out via chat.

I understand we can NOT take delivery in Massachusetts without paying MA sales tax. Alternatively, I believe we CAN pick up in NJ or NY (without paying tax?) and temporary tags are issued. But are home delivery options still available and is there an additional fee (in addition to the standard transportation fee)? Any input would be appreciated. I was originally going to wait until Tesla's first NH sales center opens to get my next Tesla, but recent price drops and tax credits are changing my mind. ;)
No delivery. You can pick up in NJ/NY.

As of 3rd quarter 2022.

Reactions: kayak1
No delivery. You can pick up in NJ/NY.

As of 3rd quarter 2022.
Is NY still an option? I thought that was squashed after NJ told Tesla to stop sending people home from Mt Kisco with NJ temps.

If you can get a bill of sale (signed by Tesla) beforehand, you can get a 20 day temp at the NH DMV and pick up at Latham, which might be closer than Paramus, depending on where you are. If you don't leave Tesla with the cert of origin, get a NH temp at the DMV after you get home while you wait. Or don't drive the shiny new car parked in your driveway. Did I mention the bill of sale must be signed by the seller (Tesla) to get a NH temp plate?

Fun fact - As explained by a NH trooper on the side of road, NH does not honor out of state temp plates when driven by a NH resident; it is considered an unregistered vehicle at that point. So try not to get stopped on the way home in NH.

No specific knowledge on the subject, but my guess is Tesla was unable to keep up with local deliveries at Mt Kisco along with New England pickups, so shunted that down to NJ. Also, I suspect Tesla is doing so much volume these days and remains proportionally understaffed for delivery logistics that they can't handle the added work needed to do direct-to-owner delivery logistics.

Let us know how the process goes. Perhaps they will have some options for
I asked (via text)

"Hi. When possible, I'd like more information about delivery for this NH purchase. Last time tesla delivered to my driveway.
reply was
"It's a $750 program called carrier direct. Please reply "YES" if you wish to opt in"

needless to say, I've asked for more info. it may be premature, as I don't have a VIN assigned yet. In hindsight, my question may have been worded poorly too: 'delivery' is an overloaded word in this context.

I suppose the fact I can have this conversation is better than 'last time' (Tesla spent months 'texting' my home phone - I literally only found out about my delivery date/time when the delivery driver called me the day before...), but it really would be good to have all this information a little more transparently communicated. My read of the delivery options page made me believe I would qualify for the 'Tesla Direct' (which is what I think I had last time...)

Fun fact - As explained by a NH trooper on the side of road, NH does not honor out of state temp plates when driven by a NH resident; it is considered an unregistered vehicle at that point. So try not to get stopped on the way home in NH.

Interesting. Does that mean if you buy a car in NH and drive back to your home state with a NH temp tag, it's also considered unregistered in that state? Usually things like this have some kind of reciprocity, right?

Interesting. Does that mean if you buy a car in NH and drive back to your home state with a NH temp tag, it's also considered unregistered in that state? Usually things like this have some kind of reciprocity, right?
I think it's less about reciprocity and more about how states handle registrations for their citizens' cars. For instance, as far as I know, a NH resident can drive a car with a NH temp in MA, but MA resident could not drive that car in their home state, since MA does not issue temporary registrations.

I really think a short term solution would be to rent a location in NH for a delivery center. There are some large buildings with parking that are unused. A few malls have Sears or other anchor stores vacant. Concord mall, Rockingham mall ,Pheasant Lane mall. So out of Concord, Salem and Nashua you would think one of those would work.
I had to travel to NJ to pick up my Model 3 in Sept 2019. At that time Tesla provided a rental car to get me there. I don't consider a road trip to NJ as a really fun destination.

I think it's less about reciprocity and more about how states handle registrations for their citizens' cars. For instance, as far as I know, a NH resident can drive a car with a NH temp in MA, but MA resident could not drive that car in their home state, since MA does not issue temporary registrations.

And if your state doesn't recognize out-of-state temporary registrations you should be able to get some kind of transit permit so you can at least drive the car to wherever you're getting it inspected.

As someone who currently lives 4 minutes from Mt.Kisco and is likely moving to NH after the school year, this thread was appreciated. It will be disappointing going from a super close great service location to having to charge to get to a center. lol

...them mountains tho

when is Vermont sales and service opening? I'd rather drive to Burlington..
I did end up asking about pick up in Latham (Albany) NY. the response was no. Paramus NJ is 'best equipped for additional volume'. Mt Kisco was also mentioned as a NY site - but Paramus is better for them.

I strongly suspect I'll pay the $750 (for me) fee. beats driving the ~4hrs and well over 200 miles one way

And if your state doesn't recognize out-of-state temporary registrations you should be able to get some kind of transit permit so you can at least drive the car to wherever you're getting it inspected.
Except MA; no such thing as a MA temp or MA transit permit. But then again, EVERYTHING about car registrations is Mass is screwed up, especially for out of state purchases.

Having done it, I can assure you it's such a PITA for a Mass resident to buy a car from a non-MA dealer (2 trips to dealer, one to insurance company, possibly one to DMV) that most people won't bother. A MA policy that benefits their new car dealer lobby at the expense of the consumer? Shocking, I tell you, just shocking.

Last edited:
Reactions: dfava
Except MA; no such thing as a MA temp or MA transit permit. But then again, EVERYTHING about car registrations is Mass is screwed up, especially for out of state purchases.

Having done it, I can assure you it's such a PITA for a Mass resident to buy a car from a non-MA dealer (2 trips to dealer, one to insurance company, possibly one to DMV) that most people won't bother. A MA policy that benefits their new car dealer lobby at the expense of the consumer? Shocking, I tell you, just shocking.
I've bought three cars in Nashua, it wasn't particularly difficult. I picked up the cars, drove to my insurance agent in Chelmsford, got the stamp, then drove to the RMV and registered the car, I probably had my old plates on the new car. The Tesla is the first car I've bought in MA since 1987 and yes that involved less leg work, they did the registration for me and I picked up the car with the plates already on it.

I've bought three cars in Nashua, it wasn't particularly difficult. I picked up the cars, drove to my insurance agent in Chelmsford, got the stamp, then drove to the RMV and registered the car, I probably had my old plates on the new car. The Tesla is the first car I've bought in MA since 1987 and yes that involved less leg work, they did the registration for me and I picked up the car with the plates already on it.
That only works (legally) if you are trading in your old car and transferring the plates. A new car with no trade, it's as I wrote above. Still, if you buy a car from a MA dealer (with or without a trade), they can register and put plates on it the first time you show up. No wasted afternoon filled with trips to the insurance agent, RMV, etc.

And don't get me started on the whole "You can't get the RMV-1 form from the RMV"; that's classic MA bureaucratic stupidity.

As someone who currently lives 4 minutes from Mt.Kisco and is likely moving to NH after the school year, this thread was appreciated. It will be disappointing going from a super close great service location to having to charge to get to a center. lol

...them mountains tho
A Londonderry NH sales and service center appears to be in the works. Not sure the timetable. I pass by the lot every day and haven't seen any activity yet. Londonderry NH Sales/Service Center

A Londonderry NH sales and service center appears to be in the works. Not sure the timetable. I pass by the lot every day and haven't seen any activity yet. Londonderry NH Sales/Service Center
Probably at least a year or more out before opening, between having to get plans to and approved by the planning board (I think the site has only cleared the zoning board so far), lining up a contractor and scheduling the construction, and then hiring for the new facility.... Still, exciting to see this long overdue project heading in the right direction