Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying from tesla vs private seller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,
I ordered a MY LR which is supposed to be delivered on January 2023. Meanwhile I was looking at market place and other places to see the prices of used MY. I see people are asking way above the Tesla website price for MY LR which I understand that the car will be available right away that’s why the price hike. But I’m curious - instead of paying extra for MY LR I could use the same money to order MYP and get it in 2/3 months (based on Tesla website). Is there any catch?

Hello everyone,
I ordered a MY LR which is supposed to be delivered on January 2023. Meanwhile I was looking at market place and other places to see the prices of used MY. I see people are asking way above the Tesla website price for MY LR which I understand that the car will be available right away that’s why the price hike. But I’m curious - instead of paying extra for MY LR I could use the same money to order MYP and get it in 2/3 months (based on Tesla website). Is there any catch?

You can ask Tesla, or do it yourself, to change your order to MYP.

The catch is: You might be more tempted to race someone from the stoplight, when you get the MYP 😆

Picture for focusing:
20220501_224012.jpg

Hello everyone,

If you are willing to live with the MYP tradeoffs - less range, more expensive tires + rims, rougher ride, etc. The estimated time for the MYP is all over the place. You hear about deliveries in a month or two and some in 5+ months.

The cost difference is only $4K for a new order so it's actually an okay deal to move up to a MYP.

Reactions: Tencwhiskey
If you are willing to live with the MYP tradeoffs - less range, more expensive tires + rims, rougher ride, etc. The estimated time for the MYP is all over the place. You hear about deliveries in a month or two and some in 5+ months.

The cost difference is only $4K for a new order so it's actually an okay deal to move up to a MYP.
1. Negligible actual real life "less range" than MYLRs.
2. Tires (21") are $370-$470per tire range. 19" tires are ranging from $250-$390, and 20" tires are in between the 21" and 19". which is not that deal breaking differences
3. Average delivery time is 2 months or less, and this has been very consistent for the MYPs. not all over the place.

Reactions: Suns_PSD
2. Tires (21") are $370-$470per tire range. 19" tires are ranging from $250-$390, and 20" tires are in between the 21" and 19". which is not that deal breaking differences
3. Average delivery time is 2 months or less, and this has been very consistent for the MYPs. not all over the place.

1. Efficiency is terrible for the MYP... might as well buy a non-Tesla if I wanted bad efficiency.
2. The 21" tires are rare. There have been posts here of folks getting flats outside of urban areas and not being able to find a replacement tire. The 19"s are cheaper and more common. The 21" wheels/rims are heavy too - a major drag on efficiency + performance. They are purely an expensive cosmetic add-on.
3. All over the place because that's how Tesla delivery works. Go pick out a delivery thread and you can find MYPs that are months late.

1. Efficiency is terrible for the MYP... might as well buy a non-Tesla if I wanted bad efficiency.
2. The 21" tires are rare. There have been posts here of folks getting flats outside of urban areas and not being able to find a replacement tire. The 19"s are cheaper and more common. The 21" wheels/rims are heavy too - a major drag on efficiency + performance. They are purely an expensive cosmetic add-on.
3. All over the place because that's how Tesla delivery works. Go pick out a delivery thread and you can find MYPs that are months late.
another based on nothing response.

1. Efficiency is not terrible for the MYP. please don't buy Tesla and buy non Tesla and complain about them on their forums.

2. 21" tires are not rare. When you go to TireRack or local tire store they carry your OEM size tires. Other legacy car makers have 21" wheels/tires on their cars. plenty of them. 19" even 18" will be lighter and faster in straight 0-60 times, but it is not something that you can feel/measure the differences on public roads, from traffic light to traffic light runs. While you might gain little time savings with 18"/19" wheels, you will lose cornering and dynamic handling stability with higher profile tires.
1658862728461.png

3. Again, it is not all over the place. If you follow the actual order and delivery dates, they are very consistent. I was in that boat a few months ago, so I know.

The only reason efficiency on the MYP is less than the MYLR is because of the 21" wheels. If you swapped out the 21" Uberturbines for 19" Gemini's you'd get the same range as a MYLR.

People spend the money so they can get a car 'now' if they need it 'now'. It's a tradeoff, especially considering the 'accuracy' of the various EDD's you'll receive. Hopefully that improves with Austin opening and ramping up.

another based on nothing response.

1. Efficiency is not terrible for the MYP. please don't buy Tesla and buy non Tesla and complain about them on their forums.

2. 21" tires are not rare. When you go to TireRack or local tire store they carry your OEM size tires. Other legacy car makers have 21" wheels/tires on their cars. plenty of them. 19" even 18" will be lighter and faster in straight 0-60 times, but it is not something that you can feel/measure the differences on public roads, from traffic light to traffic light runs. While you might gain little time savings with 18"/19" wheels, you will lose cornering and dynamic handling stability with higher profile tires.
View attachment 833073

3. Again, it is not all over the place. If you follow the actual order and delivery dates, they are very consistent. I was in that boat a few months ago, so I know.

1. Efficiency is terrible for the MYP with the 21" (i.e 320 Wh/mile - 3.6 mi/kWh) - your video shows Bjorn with the 19". A MYLR gets about 280 Wh/mile (3.1 mi/kWh). That's basically converting a relative efficient EV (3.6 mi/kWh) into an ID.4 (3.1 mi/kWh).

I don't need mansplaining that smaller wheels means faster acceleration. Every EV/car can accelerate with smaller wheels. I've seen the faster 1/4 mile drag strip times for every EV when they smaller wheels. How many folks trade the 21" for the 19"? A tiny percentage. Why pay more for the MYP then pay thousands more to swap to the 19" wheels?

2. Have you ever tried buying an EV tire from a tire dealer in time of need? EV tires have a high-load index. Last time I had to get one shipped two states away and wait four days. I'd like you to see if you can get a 21" OEM replacement tire quickly these days.

Honestly, I think you need to experience more EVs. I've owed three Teslas and now three Mach-Es and bunch of other EVs (MINI, ID.4, RAV4 Prime) and test driven almost all mainstream EVs including Rivian and soon Ariya this weekend.

Reactions: MidNJDrv
The only reason efficiency on the MYP is less than the MYLR is because of the 21" wheels. If you swapped out the 21" Uberturbines for 19" Gemini's you'd get the same range as a MYLR.

The MYP has hungrier motors so probably still less range than the MYLR but yes the 21" vs. 19" is the biggest hit.

I don't know why anybody would spend $$$ extra to buy the MYP then downgrade to 19" wheels for another few thousand. That's crazy impatience :)

Reactions: VegasMYP
Honestly, I think you need to experience more EVs. I've owed three Teslas and now three Mach-Es and bunch of other EVs (MINI, ID.4, RAV4 Prime) and test driven almost all mainstream EVs including Rivian and soon Ariya this weekend.
With all this EV experience, have you ever done a Youtube or comparison chart to review the EVs you've tried or owned?

I could just ask which you think is the best, but I know that is somewhat subjective depending on which features you find most important. I do get the impression you like Tesla (MY?) the best overall, though.

Had an LR and currently have a P.

LR is better for the average person and just quick enough. The MYP is still slow by my standards. It shouldn’t be called a Performance model. The S, 3 and X performance models are breathtaking vs their base counterparts. The YP and YLR are way too similar.

The MYP has hungrier motors so probably still less range than the MYLR but yes the 21" vs. 19" is the biggest hit.

I don't know why anybody would spend $$$ extra to buy the MYP then downgrade to 19" wheels for another few thousand. That's crazy impatience :)
Fast acceleration, higher top speed, carbon fiber spoiler, performance brakes, Uberturbine wheels, and getting it within a few months vs almost an entire year.

Used TESLA'S direct from Tesla usually include FSD and all the upgrades, we got a used MY to go with our other MY and it came with FSD, acceleration boost, all of it. Had like 9k miles too, was in pristine shape.

Wrong thread, but can't delete, my bad.

Ordered MYP May 1st EDD right now is Sept 10 - OCT 5. That’s 5 months so yes all over the place.

MYP tired cannot be rotated decreasing the life of the tires. More aggressive driving on average with a MYP means quicker tire wear.

I think the MYP is a better deal, but a lot of people that are upgrading due to impatience are being told there is no difference and there absolutely is.

Had a 21 LR put 25k on that and how have a P. Range difference is barely noticeable to me. Especially on the road trip from MD to Florida. If you want max range out of either car put in chill mode. It’s not enough difference to make a big deal about IMO. Ride harshness difference between 19” Gemini and 21” Uber is overblown IMO. The car has a harsh ride period and will be felt regardless of wheel selection.

If you want max range you can sell the Ubers and buy a set of smaller wheels from T sport line.