Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying from tesla vs private seller

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Idk about overblown, lol.

my 2022 LR got about 305 miles at 90% and my 2022 MYP gets about 240 on a good day.
The problem with comparing the two is how they are driven and driving behavior. If your driving in chill mode and not accelerating aggressively we are talking about a difference in range of about 10%. If your driving in sport mode with the P and using the extra power then it will get much less range. Highway driving will also deplete range much faster depending on your cruising speed.

My LR showed about 270-280ish at 90% SOC. I only charge the P to 80% on the daily and I do a lot of highway driving at 75-80 mph cruising speed.

If you look at the rated range it’s even less then 10% . This is not significant and will not make a noticeable difference for most drivers.

LR 19” - 330mi
LR 20” - 318mi
P 21“- 303mi

I had 21” Uberturbines swapped onto my MYLR. You may refer to my post history.

Swapped my MYLR for a P due to all the rave reviews here regarding speed. It’s underwhelming and far less range all things equal.

That’s my two cents. Had 5 Teslas so far and the MYP was the only one I felt wasn’t worth the money.

Also the fact that LRs are selling for the same or more than MYPs makes me kick myself in the head even more.

The dealer that took my MYLR sold it for almost 79k

I had 21” Uberturbines swapped onto my MYLR. You may refer to my post history.

Swapped my MYLR for a P due to all the rave reviews here regarding speed. It’s underwhelming and far less range all things equal.

That’s my two cents. Had 5 Teslas so far and the MYP was the only one I felt wasn’t worth the money.

Also the fact that LRs are selling for the same or more than MYPs makes me kick myself in the head even more.

The dealer that took my MYLR sold it for almost 79k
very interesting opinion that I've never heard of. :cool: MYP or EVs in general is not for speed. It's the acceleration and value since the cost difference is $4k now, and if you add AB and 20" induction, it will be the MYP price with less features.

very interesting opinion that I've never heard of. :cool: MYP or EVs in general is not for speed. It's the acceleration and value since the cost difference is $4k now, and if you add AB and 20" induction, it will be the MYP price with less features.

I totally agree with you.

I just don’t want to steer OP in the wrong direction. I think two years ago you would be 100% correct.

MYP is probably the better car if you will keep it 10 years.

MYLR if you move in and out of cars more frequently like myself and like to have some value retention.

As for the other costs, the wing is 200, AB is unnecessary for OP, and there’s so many 21s for sale the prices have plummeted to a halt if you fancy them. In fact I’m seeing Gemini trade for more now.

There’s probably 20 to 1 MYP vs MYLR currently being sold. That has completely changed the Y market.

The smart buyer with value retention in mind will buy the LR because you will get instant equity off the lot. You are negative on the MYP after tax.

I totally agree with you.

I just don’t want to steer OP in the wrong direction. I think two years ago you would be 100% correct.

MYP is probably the better car if you will keep it 10 years.

MYLR if you move in and out of cars more frequently like myself and like to have some value retention.

As for the other costs, the wing is 200, AB is unnecessary for OP, and there’s so many 21s for sale the prices have plummeted to a halt if you fancy them. In fact I’m seeing Gemini trade for more now.

There’s probably 20 to 1 MYP vs MYLR currently being sold. That has completely changed the Y market.

The smart buyer with value retention in mind will buy the LR because you will get instant equity off the lot. You are negative on the MYP after tax.
I don't think it is 20 MYP to 1 MYLR ratio. I don't know the number, but I see way more MYLRs in the DMV area. May I ask where you found this number/ratio?
Smart buyers with value retention will not buy EVs. They keep their old/paid off ICE cars. Buying EVs is luxury because you want it, not need it.

I don't think it is 20 MYP to 1 MYLR ratio. I don't know the number, but I see way more MYLRs in the DMV area. May I ask where you found this number/ratio?
Smart buyers with value retention will not buy EVs. They keep their old/paid off ICE cars. Buying EVs is luxury because you want it, not need it.

Just check the delivery page and the math is readily available.

You see more sure, but times have changed and you can expect to see more MYPs.

And I don’t expect value retention to be something many buyers focus on, I primarily use that info when purchasing my exotics.

However it’s still good information and relevant to OP, and shouldn’t be written off because of your overall favor toward buying an MYP.

Where did you get that from? Used MYP's are selling for 70-80k

From studying the market very thoroughly over the last year. All the 80k MYPs don’t sell, and have been listed for long periods of time.

people aren’t dumb enough to overpay for a car they can get in two months.

my 2022 MYLR was sold for 78k To the new owner. I was offered 71k for it from a car buying site And let it go.

The same company will only pay 70,500 for my MYP which I paid 5k more for and has half the miles.

i am taking taxes into consideration since I pay them.

I thoroughly study the market on any car I buy, because they are largely depreciating assets. aside from the cars I lease through my business, I focus primarily on value retention.

in the last decade i have probably spent 30-40k net on cars. yet I have owned 3 Porsche 911s, every model of Tesla, and a myriad of others.

i currently have a 2022 MSLR that I have 20k of positive equity in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suns_PSD
Just check the delivery page and the math is readily available.

You see more sure, but times have changed and you can expect to see more MYPs.

And I don’t expect value retention to be something many buyers focus on, I primarily use that info when purchasing my exotics.

However it’s still good information and relevant to OP, and shouldn’t be written off because of your overall favor toward buying an MYP.
Did you know that the entire members here is actually super minority compare to the entire Tesla Model Y owners, so your study is not applicable to the general MYP vs MYLR sales.

From studying the market very thoroughly over the last year. All the 80k MYPs don’t sell, and have been listed for long periods of time.

people aren’t dumb enough to overpay for a car they can get in two months.

my 2022 MYLR was sold for 78k To the new owner. I was offered 71k for it from a car buying site And let it go.

The same company will only pay 70,500 for my MYP which I paid 5k more for and has half the miles.

i am taking taxes into consideration since I pay them.

I thoroughly study the market on any car I buy, because they are largely depreciating assets. aside from the cars I lease through my business, I focus primarily on value retention.

in the last decade i have probably spent 30-40k net on cars. yet I have owned 3 Porsche 911s, every model of Tesla, and a myriad of others.

i currently have a 2022 MSLR that I have 20k of positive equity in.
Also, based on your sales of your MYLR does not and should not generalize the sales price of MYP vs MYLR.

Based on your experience. not based on the actual market data with enough data points.

go ahead and submit your MYP to CarMax, carvana and vroom then do the same with a comparable model Y long range.

no use arguing with you, and I am allowed to share my own personal real-world experiences that far outweigh your own (Amount of Ys you see on the streets of Virginia)

not even getting into the fact that the MYP is very underwhelming compared to the LR. It’s not that fast.

go ahead and submit your MYP to CarMax, carvana and vroom then do the same with a comparable model Y long range.

no use arguing with you, and I am allowed to share my own personal real-world experiences that far outweigh your own (Amount of Ys you see on the streets of Virginia)

not even getting into the fact that the MYP is very underwhelming compared to the LR. It’s not that fast.
Here you go:

1658994140067.png

1658994168309.png

1658994193707.png

1658994225156.png

1658994583551.png

1658994610970.png

Attachments

• 1658994241316.png
    1658994241316.png
    568.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 1658994256608.png
    1658994256608.png
    333.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Looking up sales prices for cars that are unsold isn’t what I mentioned.

what those dealers will buy you car for cash today, MYLR vs MYP. Plug an MYP VIN and MYLR VIN same year same miles same color and let me know the cash payouts.

I’ve done the research, been doing it forever. And I thought it would help the OP make the best possible decision based on my opinion.

didn’t mean to trigger a bunch of MYP owners, I have one myself.

but that’s enough free advice for today. no use beating a dead horse.

this practice is so common among Ferrari and Porsche owners, but I guess Tesla owners don’t care about their money as much.