Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying FSD from the app. FYI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look at it this way Google is a giant advertising company because they have a bad ass search engine, google is not a search company. Facebook is a giant platform for advertising, they got you for free, they are not a social media company. Similarly Tesla is not a car company, it is an AI company and they are in transportation. There were many other search engines, so many other social media before and after Google Facebook etc. In fact Amazon handles more searches a day than Google does. So, Tesla is going to be your "driver" regardless you drive their car, a car from Ford, GM, Toyota or anyone else. You will be paying this "driver" monthly, and it's not going.to be cheap, definitely not $10/mo.

I agree that Tesla is changing the game in the auto industry but this industry was so long overdue and so ripe for a change. There is no question Telsa software and AI is the differentiator, however I don't think the general population will be willing to give up the freedom to drive their own vehicles for many years, if ever. In order for autonomous driving to become a reality we need all the vehicles on the road to be capable of autonomous driving. The vehicles should be aware of one another and networked to the traffic lights, etc. We are not even close technically and then we have many years of politics to deal with.

Moving toward a FSD subscription plan makes sense so Tesla can have a recurring revenue stream to drive development as we continue to march down a path toward level 3, 4 and 5 autonomous driving. Now if Tesla wants to license their software system out to other auto manufacturers then great and it would probably create the best of both worlds.

Man, my experience is totally different. AP is so great in stop and go traffic on a jammed highway. Can't imaging going back to not having it on my daily commute.

I agree when it is so congested that you pretty much come to a stop but if it is congested but moving at decent speed it gets too herky jerky for me. The sweet spot for me is stop and go in a traffic jam (assuming it speeds up quick enough) and light congested highways.

Reactions: coconutboy84
Someone just said it. Driving on Nav on Autopilot is more work than just driving. I just did a refund lol. I’ll buy it again when it improves a bit more.

I don't blame you. $7k plus tax is a lot to pay if AutoPark doesn't park better than a human driver, Summon is a party trick and if NoA is more aggravation than driving yourself. If we can subscribe then I will try it out.

Reactions: coconutboy84
I don't blame you. $7k plus tax is a lot to pay if AutoPark doesn't park better than a human driver, Summon is a party trick and if NoA is more aggravation than driving yourself. If we can subscribe then I will try it out.
Yeah the only thing I really did like was lane change when in regular autopilot. Summon is pretty useless. Same with smart summon. It’s a trick that’s actually slow and embarrassing to show people lol. Auto park was pretty crappy too. My volt did it way better. And yeah navigate on autopilot just did WAY too much lane changing and nonsense driving. I was just babysitting it the whole time. When city driving comes out I’ll probably use that.

Um it doesn’t. Don’t be a jerk. My actual experience influenced me. Relax.

I'm relaxed. :) My apologies if I came across like a jerk.

However, to be fair, you had it for ~2 days. Hardly enough time to get used to an autonomous driving feature. It does take some time to get comfortable with it. I use NoA every day now, and have gotten to the point where I just peek over when it chimes to make sure the lane is clear. There are times I cancel upcoming lane changes that I don't feel are necessary, and times I let it do it's thing. I think that's OK and expected since this isn't Level 5. It feels quite natural now that I'm more comfortable with it and don't feel like I have to babysit it (I did for the first couple of weeks). I'm sure giving it more than 2 days time would do the same for most.

Smart Summon is indeed a party trick at this point, but basic Summon has been very useful when getting into the car while parked in tight spaces, carrying groceries, etc.

Are these things worth the $6K I paid for FSD? No, not at the moment. Maybe worth $3K, to me. They are luxuries that I don't need but make my life easier. The rest is a gamble on them delivering the remaining promised features.

I'd be very interested if they make FSD a subscription. That would be less of a headache when it comes to selling and buying another Tesla and subscription fee of ~$100/mo is a lot more appealing than a $7k lump sum payment and would provide Tesla with a nice monthly revenue stream.

Reactions: JasonR67
I'd be very interested if they make FSD a subscription. That would be less of a headache when it comes to selling and buying another Tesla and subscription fee of ~$100/mo is a lot more appealing than a $7k lump sum payment and would provide Tesla with a nice monthly revenue stream.

Same but I would like to see them break it up by feature or create your own bundle.

NoA - $20 per month
AutoPark - $5 per month
Summon - $5 per month
Acceleration Boost - $25 per month