Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying FSD with original order or after delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm excited to finally be joining the Tesla community! While my order is in progress, I've been mulling over whether to purchase the FSD capability with my original order or after I take delivery.

Advantage in-order:
  • Locked in price (I've read Elon is talking of raising the price in July - I'm in at 7K)
Advantage after delivery:
  • Lower costs based off lower MSRP
    • Registration
    • Insurance?
  • Can put it on a credit card for points / cash back?

I live in Washington so I don't think there is a way to avoid sales tax on it. Anything else I'm missing?

When I ordered my car in Oct 2019 I could have added FSD for $6k until vin was assigned, or car was picked up. Whatever it was.

But immediately after I got the car it was $7k in the app.

Just be aware.

Registration is based on purchase price. At least here.

Insurance will be same since you need to tell them you added a $7k option to your car if you want it covered on your policy.

Taxes are charged in app for it and would be at purchase too.

App is all credit cards.

Kind of a wash either way.

Will be going up to 8K according to twitter on July 1. I've not gotten FSD due to where I live (autopilot struggles). Same price at closing or after closing, so cheaper to get it after. You can use a credit card (cash back). Also, where I live, registration/taxes are based on the total purchase price.

Does adding FSD after delivery affect the trade in value? I swear I read a while back where someone added it after delivery and Tesla made no adjustment for it when he traded it in. Something about it not being tied to the VIN when it was built/ordered. I hope I'm wrong because I want to add it later.

Will be going up to 8K according to twitter on July 1. I've not gotten FSD due to where I live (autopilot struggles). Same price at closing or after closing, so cheaper to get it after. You can use a credit card (cash back). Also, where I live, registration/taxes are based on the total purchase price.

Registration is one thing, but the difference is minor too.

But insurance is sometimes based on registration (purchase price) so if you add after you want to call your insurance to add the difference. Otherwise they may not cover it if car gets totaled.

As for taxes at least here the in app purchase is taxed for FSD, but not other adds. So if you add for delivery you pay tax. If you add with app you pay tax.

If you put on credit card for "cash back" that's likely assuming you are paying when bill is do. If you add to lease it adds very little per month and you can invest that money for a much higher return than the credit card cash back.

There's been discussion that when you purchase at delivery it gets tied to the car at Tesla in a different way than when added by app. But this is unconfirmed.

The main determinant is more whether FSD makes sense for the buyer. Regardless of how I would pay... there's no way FSD can deal with some of the roads and etc near me (had some near misses on autopilot). That's a bigger driver IMHO.