Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying High mileage MX100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! First time tesla owner to be here so I have a few questions if anyone can help...

I'm in the UK and there's a decent deal on a 2017 MX 100D with just over 100k miles.

According to the car specs in the app it says it has the Premium Upgrades Package but the other menu shows it has the Base audio system? I thought the Premium sound was part of the PUP? What am I missing here?

It also says "no spoiler" in the specs but there is a spoiler in the picture, maybe it means no retractable spoiler?

It has had the MCU2 upgrade done to it as well as the CCS upgrade and some work done to the front suspension under warranty. The seller says the car is in great condition and has no faults to report, I'm supposed to go see it this coming weekend but before I do that I would like your advice on a high mileage MX outside of the main warranty?

Thanks!!

The retracting spoiler was problematic and stopped pretty early in the US, 2016 or so. Later models come with a fixed spoiler.

As to should you buy any car without a warranty, that is up to you. Will a large bill make you hate the car? By large I mean 10-15K or more USD. In my family's shop we have had to deliver hard bad news to several young men (and only young men) that bought older high-end luxury cars and had some bills bigger than they could afford. One that comes to mind is an AMG Mercedes that needed a new transmission. The transmission was an AMG-only unit and was not available used, except from specialty suppliers. The replacement cost was $10+K. He only paid $25K for the car and could not afford the transmission.

On a Model X the things that concern me are a drive unit or battery pack replacement. Those can get expensive really quickly. Luckily those are uncommon failures

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
The retracting spoiler was problematic and stopped pretty early in the US, 2016 or so. Later models come with a fixed spoiler.

As to should you buy any car without a warranty, that is up to you. Will a large bill make you hate the car? By large I mean 10-15K or more USD. In my family's shop we have had to deliver hard bad news to several young men (and only young men) that bought older high-end luxury cars and had some bills bigger than they could afford. One that comes to mind is an AMG Mercedes that needed a new transmission. The transmission was an AMG-only unit and was not available used, except from specialty suppliers. The replacement cost was $10+K. He only paid $25K for the car and could not afford the transmission.

On a Model X the things that concern me are a drive unit or battery pack replacement. Those can get expensive really quickly. Luckily those are uncommon failures
Thanks for the reply, and we have the same issue in the UK. Older luxury cars are cheaper as they are expensive to fix, people buy them and then can’t mantain. In this case even though the car has a high mileage it seem to have been treated well by its only owner. The battery and drive unit are still under warranty until 2025 so there’s that but reading shudder issues and all sorts of door issues is a bit of a worry for sure. If at least it was easy to tell how much things roughly cost to replace before you buy the car it would make the decision easier.

Thanks for the reply, and we have the same issue in the UK. Older luxury cars are cheaper as they are expensive to fix, people buy them and then can’t mantain. In this case even though the car has a high mileage it seem to have been treated well by its only owner. The battery and drive unit are still under warranty until 2025 so there’s that but reading shudder issues and all sorts of door issues is a bit of a worry for sure. If at least it was easy to tell how much things roughly cost to replace before you buy the car it would make the decision easier.

Did the non performance model have the shudder issue?

Elon himself has called the X a Faberge egg and the most complex SUV ever produced. That should be a major red flag with respect to long term reliability. A higher mileage tesla also means there have been more battery cycles and you are that much closer to the MTTF on the HV battery. In 2.5 years with an X I have had a 12v battery, half shafts, front door actuator, and charge port need to be replaced under warranty. I'd expect anywhere between $1,000-$10,000 USD per year to maintain a legacy X out of warranty. I would also look into any feedback about your local Service Center and options you might have for 3rd party repairs.

Elon himself has called the X a Faberge egg and the most complex SUV ever produced. That should be a major red flag with respect to long term reliability. A higher mileage tesla also means there have been more battery cycles and you are that much closer to the MTTF on the HV battery. In 2.5 years with an X I have had a 12v battery, half shafts, front door actuator, and charge port need to be replaced under warranty. I'd expect anywhere between $1,000-$10,000 USD per year to maintain a legacy X out of warranty. I would also look into any feedback about your local Service Center and options you might have for 3rd party repairs.
valid points, thank you! I agree with most of those but a 100D in tesla used in tesla used inventory with 72k miles is currently going for £82k whereas the one I'm looking at with 108k miles is going for £49k so I'm thinking it might be worth the gamble.

I'm quite happy with our June 2017 X ... especially so after the MCU2 upgrade. I'm over 50K so out of warranty. Considered an 'extended' warranty or 3rd party but generally the statistics are that you are better without one.

It has had the MCU2 upgrade done to it as well as the CCS upgrade and some work done to the front suspension under warranty.

Did the non performance model have the shudder issue?

Sudder bulletin info:

On a Model X the things that concern me are a drive unit or battery pack replacement. Those can get expensive really quickly luckily those are uncommon failures
it came with a 8 year unlimited mile warranty on the drive unit and HV Battery.

Thanks for all your replies! I got the car yesterday and drove back home (around 150miles) and it's been great apart from the fact that I think it needs the wheels balanced as when you go over 60mph you can feel the steering wheel shaking a bit more than it should but apart from that it's been great and on the motorway I was told off by the autopilot for not holding the wheels as much as I should had so it disabled it lol

valid points, thank you! I agree with most of those but a 100D in tesla used in tesla used inventory with 72k miles is currently going for £82k whereas the one I'm looking at with 108k miles is going for £49k so I'm thinking it might be worth the gamble.
33,000 lbs will pay for a lot of repairs I would go for it. I own a 2017 Model X with 67,000 miles.