Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying in CA, registering in FL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m thinking about a used 3 on Tesla’s site, and a couple of them are located in California. I live in Florida. And there’s a $2500 transport fee.

I have some friends in Cali, and wanted to know if I flew out there to pick up the car and saved the $2500, would I be able to pick it up and just pay registration in FL like if I bought in it FL ?

If I buy it online and ship it here, I only pay FL tax when I register it. So wouldn’t it be the same if I pick it up there ? Though I’d need a tag to put on the car to drive it home.

I’d rather pay $300 for a flight and $90 in “gas” than $2500 in teansport fees.

If this was answered elsewhere I apologize, I’m new and I searched and didn’t find anything.

Thanks y’all 🙏🏼

No *sugar*. I didn’t know that. What if I just took the bill of sale to a dmv here and then got the plates and flew to pick it up ?

If you pick up a car from a dealer in CA (car delivered in CA) they (the dealer) will charge you sales tax. Here is something from another dealer in CA. Its not Tesla but all dealers are going to have the same rules because its CA state rules:

===========================

Delivery at Fowler Auto Center you pay California sales tax.​

One method, where you drive the vehicle back to your home state, requires that you pay California sales tax. The method works well if your home state recognizes your tax payment and only requires that you pay any difference in your home state. We do not provide information on how this works, as we cannot be responsible for you states tax payment. You can typically find the required information for your state's tax requirement on your state's DMV website.

If you are picking up the Car from dealership, you must pay CA Tax , and we will provide you a one -way trip sticker that allows you to go straight from dealership to out of state, which will alleviate paying for registration . But you must pay sales tax based on Ukiah,Ca . You must then also pay tax in your State.

=============================

Upvote 0