TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Buying in?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by KarenRei, Mar 26, 2018.

1. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

I've never owned stock before apart from through retirement funds. Is there any way to buy into TSLA (targeting a moderate length time of ownership, 6-12 months) without it costing a couple percent of one's investment?

These prices on the stock are just too tempting, and I agree with literally none of the "standard thinking" pessimism about Tesla's ability to produce, the "imminent competition" and "Tesla killers", etc.

• Like x 3
  2. Crowded Mind

Crowded Mind Member

You can buy as few shares as you want through any stock broker. Robinhood offers free trades, so I’d use them if you are just taking a small position. You can send me a pm if you want a referral link.

• Like x 3
  3. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

• Like x 3
  4. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

#4 KarenRei, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    "This item isn't available in your country" :Þ

(Looking to buy about $10k... enough so that any gains would be meaningful, not so much that losses would be devastating. Single purchase, hold, sell when I need the money for my house)

Hmm... looking some more... so normal brokerage fees are only about $10 USD, even for large orders? I thought they'd be more than that. Maybe I can just buy through my bank...

• Like x 1
  5. Darren Donovan

TSLA price will continue to plummet, if you buy now, you will lose $, especially with your time frame of 6-12 months. If you keep the stocks for a few years, that's different. Better to wait for the lowest point, which I don't think is there yet. When will that be? Wish I knew. I'm still waiting before jumping in. I was very tempted at $312, glad I didn't do it.

• Disagree x 9
    • Like x 1
  6. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

I disagree. :)

• Like x 6
  7. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018

The above is really bad advice.

Giving the advice "wait for the lowest point", but also not having a clue when that will be, is utterly useless.

Nobody can be certain where the stock price goes in a year. It could go to $400. It could also go to ZERO.

There is only one question investors should be asking themselves: "Is the money that I am considering investing in TSLA money that I can afford to lose?"

If you can't afford to lose this money, DO NOT, under any circumstances, buy shares in TSLA. The stock is way too volatile to play around with. Market timing and entry points are completely useless considerations if the money is needed for something else, especially in the short term.

• Like x 10
    • Informative x 2
  8. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

Agreed. I have no interest in day trading, and no interest in "staking my retirement" or whatnot on the whims of a high volatility stock.

But I am solidly of the opinion that the market is underestimating Tesla's ability to overcome production problems and overestimating the "competition". All issues of day-to-day fluctuations aside. And I expect to see this become clear to the broader market over the course of the next year.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  9. pz1975

pz1975 Supporting Member

Maybe we will end up calling today the KarenRai bottom. :)

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  10. ACA Man

ACA Man Member

I will buy when it’s below $200.

Right now, it’s just too much speculations and the company hasn’t proved itself yet.

Time will tell.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

Established an account with my bank today, but won't be able to buy until tomorrow. Don't know what the fees will be (the person at the bank branch has no experience with it, I'm supposed to talk to someone at a different building tomorrow)

If anyone here wants to put a short position on Tesla or spread doom-and-gloom articles on Seeking Alpha, please do so today ;)

• Funny x 6
  12. Buddyroe

Buddyroe Active Member

This one statement is all I needed to read. Never invest money you will "need" - especially for a house.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  13. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

Well, sure, if you ignore my statement "not so much that losses would be devastating." You can choose to disbelieve me that the losses would not be devastating if you so choose. I don't think I have any obligation to go into every last detail of my finances with you.

• Like x 2
  14. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

#14 KarenRei, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Placed an order with the bank** for 1,3m ISK ($13260 USD), due to the stock falling further yesterday. My heartfelt appreciation to all the short sellers who helped make that drop possible (and I mean that sincerely!)

** They're going to send me an email confirming that it went through with no problems and will let me know if I need to come back for any reason - as well as letting me know what the fees will be... apparently people buying individual, foreign stocks is not a common transaction for them, which is understandable.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  15. bambam4171

bambam4171 Member

I have no clue whatsoever how things will turn out, was very much in the same boat as KarenRei when it last dipped under 300 and if I would have spare change I would stock up in a heartbeat

• Like x 1
  16. 9837264723849

9837264723849 Member

In France, online banks let you purchase all kind of securities in a single click (on most stock foreign markets anyway). I've never called my banker for TSLA stocks. I'm surprised this isn't the case in other Western countries.

17. Veritas1980

Veritas1980 Electric Viking

I think that is very individual for each country. Here in Sweden, I had to sign a few documents for tax reasons, and I can trade US stocks online as well as European.

18. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

Yep, had to sign some tax-related documents as well.

That said, capital gains is one type of tax that I'd look forward to paying. ;)

• Like x 2
  19. berserk_sun

berserk_sun Member

20. KarenRei

KarenRei ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ

Confirmed - 48 shares purchased at $268 (different exchange rate than I had estimated before). I'm now at last putting my money where my mouth is, after having talked up my belief in Tesla's future for years. ;)

Now to do my best not to follow the day-to-day (or worse, hour-to-hour / minute-to-minute) fluctuations ;)

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2