Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Michelin Pilot AS4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ch1zzle

2022 MYP | MSM | B/W Interior | OD 9/21
Sep 7, 2021
San Francisco
I took delivery of my MYP a few weeks before they started shipping Pilot All Season 4s as OEM, so I’m stuck with the PZero summers. I’m looking for All Seasons so I can take my car up to Tahoe.

Do Tesla SCs sell tires? Looks like a lot of websites (Tirerack, Discount Tire) are out of stock for the OEM sizes.

They may be difficult to find. FWIW, I upgraded to the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 for an all season with much better snow/ice traction, and I’m extremely happy with them. They’re a bit cheaper than the Michelin with slightly better efficiency (supposedly). I was able to find them at a local Discount Tire. They were quick and pro and knew how to deal with Teslas.

If you’re set on the Michelin, I would just call around to local tire shops. The Contis were out of stock on Discount Tire website but a shop near by had a set In the right size.

Reactions: Canyonero
They may be difficult to find. FWIW, I upgraded to the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 for an all season with much better snow/ice traction, and I’m extremely happy with them. They’re a bit cheaper than the Michelin with slightly better efficiency (supposedly). I was able to find them at a local Discount Tire. They were quick and pro and knew how to deal with Teslas.

If you’re set on the Michelin, I would just call around to local tire shops. The Contis were out of stock on Discount Tire website but a shop near by had a set In the right size.
Does Continental make the sizes for MYP?

Just an FYI for everyone - I was able to make an appointment with my local SC. They are ordering the Pilot AS4 and will be installing them for me. Total cost around $1900. Around $200-$300 more than Discount Tire or TireRack, but those sites are currently OOS.
Can you post up when you actually get it? I ordered the AS4 in December from Costco but Michelin cancelled the order (3 weeks later), the Costco rep said that the manufacturer was in production but didn't actually have stock to ship. So I'm curious if Tesla were able to order them AND they actually shipped or if the manufacturer will cancel that order as well.

Can you post up when you actually get it? I ordered the AS4 in December from Costco but Michelin cancelled the order (3 weeks later), the Costco rep said that the manufacturer was in production but didn't actually have stock to ship. So I'm curious if Tesla were able to order them AND they actually shipped or if the manufacturer will cancel that order as well.

Yep will do. My appointment is 2/11, though I imagine they'll let me know if the tire order gets cancelled. I wonder if Tesla has a more reliable direct source since they now ship the MYP with Michelins as OEM

Does Continental make the sizes for MYP?
They make sizes that work (better, IMO). I’m running DWS06+ 265/40/21 & 295/35/21. Very happy with them so far. Ride is a little more comfortable, noise isn’t better or worse really, and they offer a little more protection from naughty curbs that try to sneak up on me.

Advantage of getting the new AS4 OEMs from Tesla could be the sound insulation, which I don’t think is standard for either the Contis or the AS4.

Reactions: spdracer888
I sucked it up and got AS4s and wheels in a different size and everything was in stock. Yes it's an extra grand but you have two sets of tires and wheels and theoretically they will last twice as long swapping them out winter/summer.

I'm going with same tires in the following sizes:

F: 265/35
R: 295/35

Bit different than OEM (I forgot what OEM sizes are) but I've heard good things from the other thread about going up in size. Total quoted cost is $1960 from a wheels shop in the east bay. Lead times are apparently just a couple of days.

I was able to order the tires from Tirerack.com and they came in a few days ago, had it installed yesterday at my local tire place. So far I am pretty happy with them. They seem to make a bit more tire noise than the Goodyear's they replaced but the trade off there is they seem to have a bit of "cush", toning down that initial sharp bump I used to feel on the old tires over road anomalies. We'll see as time goes on, but for now I'm quite satisfied.

I was able to order the tires from Tirerack.com and they came in a few days ago, had it installed yesterday at my local tire place. So far I am pretty happy with them. They seem to make a bit more tire noise than the Goodyear's they replaced but the trade off there is they seem to have a bit of "cush", toning down that initial sharp bump I used to feel on the old tires over road anomalies. We'll see as time goes on, but for now I'm quite satisfied.
I noticed them louder on wife’s car as well. (Dry) Traction seems to be a bit better though