Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Model X for the wife, just test drove a Model X Performance, need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have currently a Model 3 Performancd I got in June. I'm surprising my wife with a car for Christmas. She had driven a older hybrid and liked it well enough.

I did a test drive today in a Model X Performance. It was great. The sales and service people both said separately that the Model X Performance in sport mode is almost identical to a Model X Long Range.

My question is how accurate is that statement? She plans on keeping her car for 8 years so I want her to have the best, but not really sure she wants to spend the extra cash when I break it down to her.

If they are comparable with the above statement of the Performance in Sport being close to the Long Range then I believe she will be content.

That's correct. Don't waste your money on a Performance unless you (or your wife) really cares about that extra 0-60 acceleration. The normal Model X is plenty fast enough for any situation you might find yourself in on the road.

There are other minor differences like carbon fiber trim, slightly bigger brake discs, red calipers, etc. But if you don't care about the speed then that's not worth the reduction in range and harsher ride from the 22" wheels.

After owning Tesla Model X 90D , 75D , 100D and P100D , i feel its all about personal preference. After the initial burst of 0-60, performance of Long Range and P100D are almost similar. My wife liked the 100D with 20" wheels . We currently have P100D with 22" wheels ( I would stay away from those and instead get 20") . If i were to do this again, I would get a Long Range with 20" wheels .

My personal preference , I was having fun for the first year and then that excitement of 0-60 wore off. At thsi point I mainly use it as a trick to surprise friends.

Last edited:
I traded in my 2018 model 3 long range RWD for a 2020 Model X long range with 20” wheels. Performance is not worth it in my opinion for the cost. It’s probably really cool the first couple of months, but will just become a really expensive party trick. I have the six seater and is well worth the money if you have kids. Also, range is King for me as I live in a colder climate. Range loss In the winter can affect how far I can travel without stopping greatly.

I have a 2018 MX 100D with 20" wheels. I know from past experience not to go with 22" unless you enjoy the harsher ride. We cruise up and down the east coast, as well as a couple trips out west and back, and the 100D is more than adequate. I drive 99% of the time in "lame" mode. Tesla calls it Chill mode. I just drove down from Ma to Va yesterday and even in Chill mode I have no problem going from 70-90 to go around people quickly. I wish I had the range of an X LR but other than that I love my X. 42,000 miles and going strong.

If you're on the fence about it, then you should probably just get the performance so you don't regret it later. After all, you'll end up driving it too...

Not an owner yet - but test drove the LR+ hoping to be okay with the acceleration, but it was just too 'slow'. Tried performance model, sold!

Three Tesla’s for me and all Performance ;)..it a personal preference though..as others have noted it’s great initially :cool:..not so much concerned in range as in California the density of chargers is so good I never go beyond 200 miles ..if I can skip two super chargers on a long trip than will be worth for me to go non P

Reactions: VikH
Performance all day, every day. Having more power when wanted it just too fun not to have for me.

This, in spades. I've had my X P100D for 20 months now and my back-of-neck-hair thrillometer still kicks in every time I give it the juice. And I love to give it all the juice it wants. Don't see that ever ending.

So, personal preference.

X P100D all day, every day. Never gets old. I haven't found the match yet to my Ludicrous starting at 0, 60, or 100. When some jack leg cuts you off and squeezes in between you and the car you are safely following while passing a big truck because he thinks he owns the road and everyone has to get out of his way, if it's me he does that to, he learns not to do it again. Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades.;)

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
2020 LR+ that I rarely drive in anything other then Chill. This thing is fast as ..........and I'm cheap ! Extra tire wear caused by short bursts of smiles may be fun in the short term, but are they really worth the extra $$$$.

Only you, and your wallet can decide.

2020 LR+ that I rarely drive in anything other then Chill. This thing is fast as ..........and I'm cheap ! Extra tire wear caused by short bursts of smiles may be fun in the short term, but are they really worth the extra $$$$.

Only you, and your wallet can decide.

Perspective :p I test drove the LR+ first hoping it would be enough - but immediately knew I wouldn't want to drive something that 'slow'. Compared to an average ICE car it's great, but not so much compared to other high-perf vehicles.

Reactions: DIL
Perspective :p I test drove the LR+ first hoping it would be enough - but immediately knew I wouldn't want to drive something that 'slow'. Compared to an average ICE car it's great, but not so much compared to other high-perf vehicles.

Perspective, is correct !! I'm comparing to a Corvette. Your definition of "slow" would scare the S$%& out of me !!! LOL

I tend to leave it in in Ludacris mode unless I'm on a road trip.
Chill mode is now too slow for me to use on the streets, highway only. I'm so glad we paid extra for performance.
I don't have a performance, but when I rented one for a road trip test drive on Turo before buying my X, I never took it out of Ludicrous. Tesla has pointed out time and time again that the performance modes don't have anything to do with range. Unless Ludicrous now means max battery (that was a separate setting, and AFAIK, when the setting went away, it was a bug and you couldn't get the max battery performance), why would you take it out specifically for road trips?