Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying Model X - Prior Paint Job

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to buy a 2018 Model X 22k miles Mcu1 with enhanced autopilot today and noticed on the passenger side the right door paint was off. And noticed it has been worked on and not a good job of it. It was caused by a small dent on the car that I assume the body shop had to match the color so painted the whole door. I noticed some waves in the paint if you look very closely in sunlight. Would you buy that car ? At what price would you think it’s a good deal? Thanks for your input.

edit : forgot to mention it had yellow borders on the screen but I assume that’s covered on warranty? Also any chance they’ll decide to give me mcu2 since it’s a 2/16 build ? Lol

Stay away from that car. IMHO.
Who knows what else was damaged in the accident.

If you buy a car with a yellow screen you might be screwed. Have it replaced prior to purchase.

Get carfax report and understand that computer is only covered maybe 2 or 3 years IIRC. It is not like power train coverage IIRC.

Best,

T

He showed me the picture of it and was a minor hit he said backing out. I assume was body shop that messed up the paint job.

doesn’t Tesla warranty transfer to new owner ? Yellow screen should be covered regardless, right?

carfax is clean

If he used a non-Tesla approved place to paint, I would walk. I had minor damage to my tailgate...I used a Tesla authorized place and my repair is under warranty.The repair was THOUSANDS for minor work caused by a garage door tapping my rear hatch.

My bet is that the guy cheaped out and went with non-Tesla body shoppe. If it is a Tesla body shoppe the paint might be under warranty and should be redone as a condition of purchase.

Call Tesla with VIN number and see if screen is under warranty. Why not be safe? I don't think screen will be under warranty. If they do the screen, I wonder if they will force you to get updated computer/MCU. That's money.

Buy a car from Tesla. You might lose supercharging BUT you will have a warranty. This is not something to cheap out on.

If PO did not buy extended warranty then you will be in for potentially expensive repairs.

EDIT - Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought yellow screen was a 2016 thing. Could someone please educate me on this and correct me if I'm wrong?

I’m sorry, I meant to say 2/18 build date.

tesla is very bad at telling you any details about a car they are not selling or if you’re not the owner

So get the owner to get Tesla to print out a complete service report. Simple enough and should be a condition prior to sale. CarFax is not that expensive when compared to the price of a bad purchase.

You're considering buying a luxury vehicle that costs as much or more than 2 new compact cars or one low end Mercedes. Why would you not get this basic information?

You're also hoping Tesla service will agree the screen is warrantied and will agree it is yellow and will agree to replace it and perform that service without reasonable delay, and will readily have the replacement parts available... during a pandemic. Big assumptions.

You're also assuming the paint issue is minor and won't require repainting the entire side of the car and/or replacing the door if the damage runs deeper than you recognize. Body damage is not always easy to recognize.

Is it just me, or are people so excited to buy these cars that they are not carefully checking them out?

This car might still be under warranty, but that warranty might be voided by bad bodywork and poor upkeep.

If you can't get all this information and the screen is yellowing and the paint sucks, why is your heart set on this vehicle vs. the tens of thousands of identical other ones?

I don't mean to be confrontational.

I'm trying to be your advocate here.

Last edited:
The guy said he’ll sell for 61k so I was tempted to go forward with it. Now just having second thoughts. Outside and inside look brand new. And the little hit on side was very minor. Body shop just didn’t do a good job. I’ll attach a picture.

Attachments

• 3DA65DEE-7C7D-42EB-9109-69DAF3F46873.jpeg
    3DA65DEE-7C7D-42EB-9109-69DAF3F46873.jpeg
    183.5 KB · Views: 57
  • 970694DA-6C90-4B04-AF16-5F4E0D013735.jpeg
    970694DA-6C90-4B04-AF16-5F4E0D013735.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 42