Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying my first used Tesla blind

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, test driving isn’t available for this car.

We don’t show pictures of the vehicle, but I can send you a list of Tesla’s cosmetic standards.

Yes, please pay up before delivery.

Someone please calm my nerves!! I don’t know what I’m getting! 😧

My experience with Tesla is inflexibility.

I’ve never bought a car I haven’t see and test-driven. Is this the future of car buying? 🤯

I just bought a used model 3 directly from Tesla about a week ago. I only paid the $500 order fee and delivery fee (it was an out of state car) before taking delivery… I did not complete the transaction until I inspected the vehicle.

I agree though the process is very opaque. No pictures, no details, no service history, they basically tell you the specs on the vehicle and that “it is up to Tesla standards” and you are supposed to roll with it. I guess you can take solace in the warranty they provide.

Good news is that my car appears to be in excellent condition and with the extra 1yr/1000mi warranty they add to the factory one I’ll be covered through 2025 on my 2020 model.

I just bought a used model 3 directly from Tesla about a week ago. I only paid the $500 order fee and delivery fee (it was an out of state car) before taking delivery… I did not complete the transaction until I inspected the vehicle.

I agree though the process is very opaque. No pictures, no details, no service history, they basically tell you the specs on the vehicle and that “it is up to Tesla standards” and you are supposed to roll with it. I guess you can take solace in the warranty they provide.

Good news is that my car appears to be in excellent condition and with the extra 1yr/1000mi warranty they add to the factory one I’ll be covered through 2025 on my 2020 model.
You're back in a Model 3. Congratulations! I hope the updated year-model was worth all the hassle.

So the car was still delivered even though you hadn’t paid up?

Is it a significant savings over new?
It really varies but deals definitely pop up on the Tesla website. I paid $51.5k for a 2020 Stealth Performance in white with FSD. The car also came with homelink, brand new tires, and full front PPF. Of course I had no idea about any of that before delivery because they give you zero pictures or details about the car… but it seems to have worked out in my case. If I had to guess I’d say I paid $5k - $8k below market for the car and easily $20k less than a comparable 2022 (they don’t make stealth performance anymore so an exact comp is impossible but even a LR AWD with performance boost and FSD is over $70k).

If you can’t see it or drive it you better have a good lawyer. You could be in for a lot of problems.
Funny how this is someone’s normal reaction when assuming it is a private party sale.

But OP is buying from Tesla. And when that is the case, all the fanbois think this is a “revolutionary” buying process.

I’ll give the OP a piece of advice, opt out of the binding arbitration clause IMMEDIATELY. And good luck with your purchase.

I went to Tesla for delivery, inspected the car in the parking lot, then gave them the check. They didn’t give me the car until I paid but I was able to check the car out before completing the deal.
Gotcha. In my case, I opted for home delivery. I’m yet to make to full payment. I’m wondering if I can pay after inspection considering the car is being delivered to my home. 🤔

Gotcha. In my case, I opted for home delivery. I’m yet to make to full payment. I’m wondering if I can pay after inspection considering the car is being delivered to my home. 🤔

If it's a third-party carrier, you'll need to pay for it before the third-party carrier can take it from Tesla. Then any damage that might happen in transport will be the responsibility of the carrier. My issue with that is... you won't have any proof of who caused that damage (*if* somehow there's damage), which will leave you caught in the middle.

I drove 7 hours to pick up my M3 to avoid that sticky issue of a third-party carrier. Some posters have mentioned getting damaged cars delivered by a third-party (rocks especially).

If you're close enough, I recommend just making the drive. Then if there's damage, you can just refuse it and put your deposit towards the next car you find. Rinse and repeat until you get one you're happy with.

Good luck!

P.S. Have you driven a Model 3 yet?

Reactions: cdub
If it's a third-party carrier, you'll need to pay for it before the third-party carrier can take it from Tesla. Then any damage that might happen in transport will be the responsibility of the carrier. My issue with that is... you won't have any proof of who caused that damage (*if* somehow there's damage), which will leave you caught in the middle.

I drove 7 hours to pick up my M3 to avoid that sticky issue of a third-party carrier. Some posters have mentioned getting damaged cars delivered by a third-party (rocks especially).

If you're close enough, I recommend just making the drive. Then if there's damage, you can just refuse it and put your deposit towards the next car you find. Rinse and repeat until you get one you're happy with.

Good luck!

P.S. Have you driven a Model 3 yet?
Thanks for the advice. I originally wanted to go pick up the car on the weekend as it’s only an hour away, but the appointment window I was given is during the week. I tried to reschedule. The only option that was presented to me was home delivery. I will try to reschedule tomorrow.

Okay, I feel a headache coming on 😞

And yes, I’ve driven a model 3.

Thanks for the advice. I originally wanted to go pick up the car on the weekend as it’s only an hour away, but the appointment window I was given is during the week. I tried to reschedule. The only option that was presented to me was home delivery. I will try to reschedule tomorrow.

Okay, I feel a headache coming on 😞

And yes, I’ve driven a model 3.
They pushed my delivery back 3 times because it arrived later than expected and it took longer to get it detailed than they thought it would.

It was originally a Saturday and they changed it to a Monday then a Wednesday. They even called me the morning of delivery to push it back again I finally told them no more delays my wife and I took off work and one of us has to be home when our kid gets off the bus. I think they prioritize new car deliveries over used ones and are understaffed in the detailing department. The whole thing was a major headache but it worked out in the end.

Reactions: cdub and Titohan