Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying MY with 425 on the odometer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was matched with a car last week, delivery scheduled for 12/24. When I was reviewing my loan documents, I noticed two things. (1) I had a credit for the car of $450 and (2) the odometer reading was 425. The build date for the car was 11/29 and the VIN is in the 73xxx range. I have some concerns that the car may have been returned or used as a demo not sure. Has anyone here if accepted a Tesla with that many miles? Every new car that I have purchased in the past had less than a 100. I want to at the very least go and inspect the car, but Tesla needs to tell me why the car has so many miles, and $450 does not seem enough of an adjustment for a car with that many miles.

I bought my Model 3 as a demo with over 3k miles on it, and I was credited just about $1 per mile like you. I've had the car almost 2 years with no problems. I would just find out why. If it was returned, it probably still has something wrong with it but some people are stupidly picky. If you really want the car, I'd at least check it out and see if it's acceptable for delivery. If not, say no thanks and wait for the next one which will probably be some time in March.

Reactions: CO_MY
I would be concerned with that. For small savings you are either getting a reject or a floor model. That VIN number supports one of those two theories. I would pass on that one. At 73xxx you are also on the cusp of getting the updates, if that is important. I don't care about most of the updates but the windows and usb in glove box are nice upgrades.

I've seen a lot of people concerned about their cars having miles on them. When you buy a new ICE car at a dealership they generally do have 100s of miles on them from people test driving the car. It is just part of it and you can bet the ICE dealership isn't going to comp you $1/mile like Tesla is. I think that's great and you shouldn't have any concerns as long as you inspect the car and it meets your expectations (other than having 0 on the odometer).

I would definitely reject that car. In the grand scheme of things, when you are buying a 50-60k car, $450 is not even peanuts. Absolutely not worth it IMO.
I've seen a lot of people concerned about their cars having miles on them. When you buy a new ICE car at a dealership they generally do have 100s of miles on them from people test driving the car. It is just part of it and you can bet the ICE dealership isn't going to comp you $1/mile like Tesla is. I think that's great and you shouldn't have any concerns as long as you inspect the car and it meets your expectations (other than having 0 on the odometer).

100's of miles???!! I hope you are joking. And even if thats true, there's no way anyone in their right mind would buy the car for sticker price.

Your the customer if you dont feel right about miles on your car and that it is not a most recent VIN then just say no thanks I will wait for one coming off the assembly line. My model X had over 500 miles on it and yes I got the same discount for mileage. The car was fine and it was exactly what I wanted so it was no issue for me.

Hundreds of miles? If you're routinely purchasing new vehicles with hundreds of miles on them you're a fool. I've purchased no less than 10 new cars and the most one had was 60 miles. All others had less than 15 miles on the clock.

OP, 425 miles on a brand new car is NOT normal.

Reactions: Brown1428
It depends on the state where sold but as long as the vehicle has less than whatever the mileage limit for a new vehicle allows it can be sold as new. Personally, if I wanted a new Tesla Model Y now, not three months from now, I would at least inspect the car.

If the doors were badly aligned or don't close properly I would probably pass; same with the front hood and the hatch. Scratches on the bumpers, glass, interior trim panels can easily be replaced by Tesla after purchase. Look for damaged or torn vinyl on the seating and also the steering wheel at time of purchase as Tesla will probably deny any claim made after you accept. Minor scratches inside the door jambs are not uncommon and require just a dab of color matched touch up paint to make disappear. (I washed my Model Y at least 12 times, by hand, before I realized there was a scratch on the right rear passenger door window glass. I will live with it.)

I guess I am not that picky. I try and keep my Model Y clean and park away from the other vehicles to avoid door dings. Otherwise, it is just a car and in 4 to 6 years I will want a different vehicle.

Reactions: Krock65
Hundreds of miles? If you're routinely purchasing new vehicles with hundreds of miles on them you're a fool. I've purchased no less than 10 new cars and the most one had was 60 miles. All others had less than 15 miles on the clock.

OP, 425 miles on a brand new car is NOT normal.

Guess I'm a fool /shrug. I never said I paid or would recommend paying full price. Might be dependent on where you live. In small markets, there aren't many dealerships, the dealerships are smaller, and there are fewer cars available to test drive.

It's always awesome when people tell you your own experiences are wrong.

Update

I went and looked at the car today, I am happy to report the car was in top shape, nothing was wrong with the car, no gaps, no rim rash and it had all the updates. I look over the car for about a good 1 ½ hours with a buddy of mines. I took delivery of the car and it is unbelievable. I love it. I did notice a bit of a rattle from the dash while I was drive home, I will schedule a service to have it looked at.

I want to thank all of you for your input, I was hesitate but really gave the car a good inspection and now MY is sitting in the garage charging for my road trip to nowhere tomorrow.

Thanks

Update

I went and looked at the car today, I am happy to report the car was in top shape, nothing was wrong with the car, no gaps, no rim rash and it had all the updates. I look over the car for about a good 1 ½ hours with a buddy of mines. I took delivery of the car and it is unbelievable. I love it. I did notice a bit of a rattle from the dash while I was drive home, I will schedule a service to have it looked at.

I want to thank all of you for your input, I was hesitate but really gave the car a good inspection and now MY is sitting in the garage charging for my road trip to nowhere tomorrow.

Thanks
Congratulations on your new Tesla Model Y. Here's to many trouble free EV miles. Rattles can sometimes appear to be coming from one part of the cabin when they actually originate somewhere else such as a passenger seat belt that is unlatched. It is best if you can have someone in the vehicle help you isolate the source of the rattle.

As has been experienced by some there can be a rattle coming from the rear hatch liner (hopefully not your Model Y.) Also a common source of a rattle is when the tabs that hold the back panel of one of the second row seats is not fully pressed in place. You can check this by folding the second row seats and looking for any panel that is not fully flush. I had this issue with the back of the middle seat in the second row of my Model Y. I did not hesitate to smack the offending panel clip into place with the heel of my hand. Rattle fixed.

Your the customer if you dont feel right about miles on your car and that it is not a most recent VIN then just say no thanks I will wait for one coming off the assembly line. My model X had over 500 miles on it and yes I got the same discount for mileage. The car was fine and it was exactly what I wanted so it was no issue for me.
Mayo, thanks for your input, it helped with my decision.