Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying new car soon. How do I transfer car to my account?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. I found a MS to buy and I should be picking it up from the seller soon. What’s the process with getting it transferred to my account so that I can use it with the app? How long does it take? Is there anything I should do before driving away with it? I read in another thread about a guy who did a factory reset after buying a car and everything started working weird. Any way to avoid that happening with a factory reset? Thanks!!

Can I just ask him to do that from his app or will he need to call in? Will everything still function properly after he does that and before it’s added to my account? Reason I’m asking is because it’s going to be a very long drive home and I wouldn’t want features such as autopilot disabled.

The seller needs to remove the vehicle from their acct, and then u can ask Tesla to add the car to your account. Tesla usually takes a few days to process
No, that’s not how it works these days.

Buyer creates an account. Seller removes car from there account and is prompted for an account of the buyer to transfer to.

It can be done on the spot.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
What issues?
Sorry. I tried finding the thread but can’t seem to find it anymore. Someone who just picked up a car and brought it home did a factory reset and the car just started doing all these weird things. Car didn’t know where it was and navigation stopped working. Screen became slow and number of other issues. Was just wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing and if there was a way to avoid that happening.

Sorry. I tried finding the thread but can’t seem to find it anymore. Someone who just picked up a car and brought it home did a factory reset and the car just started doing all these weird things. Car didn’t know where it was and navigation stopped working. Screen became slow and number of other issues. Was just wondering if anyone else experienced the same thing and if there was a way to avoid that happening.
I’m not aware of a factory reset causing problems (except when it happens unexpectedly), but you definitely want to do a reset when transferring ownership. Other than erasing the seller’s personal data, the reset is more likely to improve MCU performance than slow it down, because you’re freeing up memory.

Yes my seller was not sure about it either but during my 2 hour ride to go pick up the car it magically appeared in my account and my app when he figured out what to do.

I second the factory reset thing, the seller doesn't want a buyer to know everywhere they navigated to, and no reason to have their seat position profiles saved anymore either. Odds are it was a coincidence whatever that other thread talked about. It is a computer on wheels after all. When you first get in adjust the seat and mirrors, and save your first profile.

One odd thing when I added a profile for my wife....the mirrors stopped tilting down automatically in reverse, despite auto tilt being ON when it was set to my profile. I called mobile service since I still had CPO warranty that transferred to me. He said I have to set them while in drive and while in reverse (maybe while in park too if you wanted?) and re-save the changes to my profile. Not sure why the reverse setting got hosed with my second profile add, but it's been fine ever since.

My SC01 supercharging transferred over just fine as well but I think I waited a day or two to try it so I can't say from experience whether it allowed it immediately. I made it home on one "tank" as the seller filled it up at his home.

Last edited:
What year Model S are you getting? 2012-2014 seem to have sporadic issues with HV battery related error codes.

When I bought my 2012 P85 last Oct and transferred ownership 3 days later, factory reset immediately triggered BMS_u029 error message. I spent $15k for new battery. Another gentleman had it happen before he sold his car. See post by Mr. Adam Guzik Tesla BMS_u029 | Facebook

As far as not doing a factory reset, that I'm not sure if you have to do after ownership or not.

What year Model S are you getting? 2012-2014 seem to have sporadic issues with HV battery related error codes.

When I bought my 2012 P85 last Oct and transferred ownership 3 days later, factory reset immediately triggered BMS_u029 error message. I spent $15k for new battery. Another gentleman had it happen before he sold his car. See post by Mr. Adam Guzik Tesla BMS_u029 | Facebook

As far as not doing a factory reset, that I'm not sure if you have to do after ownership or not.
Getting a 2020 LR+

How long of a trip do you have to get home once you pick it up?

I ask because I am not so sure it's always immediate from what I have read on people's experiences, and if you don't have ownership of the car in your Tesla account, you won't be able to supercharge until it is. And that can be really annoying on a long trip by adding tons of charging time.

How long of a trip do you have to get home once you pick it up?

I ask because I am not so sure it's always immediate from what I have read on people's experiences, and if you don't have ownership of the car in your Tesla account, you won't be able to supercharge until it is. And that can be really annoying on a long trip by adding tons of charging time.
It's about a 400 mile drive home. So I won't be able to use a supercharger until it transfers? Won't it just charge to his account if it hasn't transferred yet? He has free unlimited supercharging(i know this doesn't transfer) so i don't think he'd mind if it did.