Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying new S85D or used P85?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've driven a P85 for 30,000+ miles and have also driven the D (granted, the D was a P, not a standard 85D) and I _think_ that I would find the improved handling of the AWD more desirable long-term than the slightly increased acceleration of the P85. The "off the line" acceleration of the P85 is great, mind you, but there's something especially thrilling (and comforting) with the noticeably improved handling (on any pavement or road conditions) that the AWD offers. The RWD Model S is certainly no slouch in the handling department, but the D is amazingly more adept at cornering (and this is discounting the increased HP of the P85D).

Were I buying now, I would most likely sacrifice a bit of acceleration to get AWD.

Thanks guys for your replies.
I'll definitly have to think more about it. Surely 85D seems better for what i need and want, but if there is a 20kchf difference in the car depreciation, that would probably be enough for me to chose the P85 used.
In any case buying that expensive of a car is a terrible economical decision, just trying to minimize the impact i guess!

Just received an offer from Tesla, they are selling one of their employee's car.
It's a S85 with autopilot and 6000km. They sell it at 76kchf which seems to be a good price (12/13% discount of new).

So the next question, is the AWD option will worth more than the 4kchf it costs new when car will be sold used. I would believe yes in a market like switzerland where montains and snow are pretty common.
A friend of mine believes it's not gonna make a big difference. What do you guys think?

So here is the question:
- would i lose more money buying new with the latest tech and selling in 3 years or buy an expensive P85 that already has well depreciated but that hasn't the latest techs onboard.

I know nobody has the right answer to that question, but would be very curious to know your thoughts and recommendation.
Thanks in advance for your help guys, and please continue posting on all the various topics in this forum, it keeps the dream alive...

Maxime[/QUOTE]

I think it's easy: If I understand you correctly that you are indifferent to a used P85 or new 85D and it comes down to a ONLY financial question, the older car will depreciate less and therefore be cheaper to own.

I am in California, so awd did not inspire me. I have lived in Minnesota, whose climate is presumably more similar to Switzerland, and I would have chosen awd over speed if living anywhere I might encounter snow, ice, or heavy rain. I drove a p85 d and yes it handles better, but the big wheels and fragile rims are contraindicated where, as here, the roads are imperfect. I would opt for 85d with 19" wheels.

I own a P85+ and have driven the P85D and 85. I really like my P85+, the ability to break the back end lose from time to time is fun, but that's just me... Some may not like that. As for TACC, that's one thing I would really like to have. Just not sure if I should wait for "version 2" of TACC.

A used car at a good price will depreciate less than a new purchase. 6000 mi and autopilot features sounds good.
I waited last fall after ordering an 85 for the 85D and am glad I did. Traction amazing; I have not been through a Nebraska winter yet (just got it).
Either way you will have a great and fast car.

Thanks guys for your feedback.
I'll have to wait until aug/sept to be able to receive one since i won't have a plug at home before then. Might see some new things happening by then with X introduction or something else...
But directionaly, believe that AWD will depreciate less in switzerland where that feature is necessary for some.
Ideally, find later this year a 85D used or demo at 15/20% discount!!

Hey guys, here we are, we are in sept and I just received my new flat in Switzerland with the corresponding blue plug in the garage:)

Economics have changed a little (it's interesting to re read the above!), but situation and dilemma remain. Let me explain:
The Goal remains to understand the depreciation I will take on (soon to be) my model s.

My options:
1) buy 85 used. 30000km. 1 year and a half. 62k vs 92k new if configured today (32% depreciation)
2) buy inventory 85d. 5 months old. 5000km. 85k vs 95k new. Dual and autopilot included

In both case, intend to keep the car 3 years and drive 75000km.

The key for me is to understand depreciation of each of these cars in 3 years.
Below are my maths, please poke holes and challenge it.

1) 85 will depreciate additional 30% from the new price and will cost me 27,5k for These 3 years of ownership. That would make a used 2014 model s with 105000km at 35k in 2018. Might be optimistic!
My own challenge here is that the car depreciated 32% already, so might depreciate less than average in the future. But that would only increase the price of the car in 2018, which seems unrealistic!

2) the 85d inventory already took 10% of hit, so instead of losing 25% on first year of ownership. It should depreciate 15% for me. Then 10% per year. Makes a total of 35% or approx 33k cost for these 3 years. It would also mean a 2015 85d with 80000km would cost 52k in 2018 (here also, a bit optimistic?) A difference of 17k with the 85 above.

If my maths are correct, which I am really not sure, it would mean owning a 85d would cost me 5k more than a 85. Which is something I am ready to pay for awd and autopilot.

What do you think of my maths above? Am I in the bulk park or off base?

Thanks if you kept reading to the end!

No question, the D and Autopilot are worth the price.

Hey guys, here we are, we are in sept and I just received my new flat in Switzerland with the corresponding blue plug in the garage:)

Economics have changed a little (it's interesting to re read the above!), but situation and dilemma remain. Let me explain:
The Goal remains to understand the depreciation I will take on (soon to be) my model s.

My options:
1) buy 85 used. 30000km. 1 year and a half. 62k vs 92k new if configured today (32% depreciation)
2) buy inventory 85d. 5 months old. 5000km. 85k vs 95k new. Dual and autopilot included

In both case, intend to keep the car 3 years and drive 75000km.

The key for me is to understand depreciation of each of these cars in 3 years.
Below are my maths, please poke holes and challenge it.

1) 85 will depreciate additional 30% from the new price and will cost me 27,5k for These 3 years of ownership. That would make a used 2014 model s with 105000km at 35k in 2018. Might be optimistic!
My own challenge here is that the car depreciated 32% already, so might depreciate less than average in the future. But that would only increase the price of the car in 2018, which seems unrealistic!

2) the 85d inventory already took 10% of hit, so instead of losing 25% on first year of ownership. It should depreciate 15% for me. Then 10% per year. Makes a total of 35% or approx 33k cost for these 3 years. It would also mean a 2015 85d with 80000km would cost 52k in 2018 (here also, a bit optimistic?) A difference of 17k with the 85 above.

If my maths are correct, which I am really not sure, it would mean owning a 85d would cost me 5k more than a 85. Which is something I am ready to pay for awd and autopilot.

What do you think of my maths above? Am I in the bulk park or off base?

Thanks if you kept reading to the end!

In the UK you can buy with a guaranteed buy back price. I think it's quite restrictive but that's how I'd buy one if I wasn't going through the company car scheme. Technology can change quickly making current models very undesirable in comparison - 3 years there might be 50% more range available or better performance above 60mph or cheaper.. We all though the p85 was good then came the p85d then came ludi... And all that within about 12 months. I initially wanted a P85d and have ordered a 90D.

I guess what I'm saying is future values can be very hit and miss, the guaranteed buy back is a back stop, if it's worth more you can sell for the higher price, if you want to sell early you can. Might be worth looking at.