Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying older 21" turbines to replace Arachnids on Plaid Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But the refreshed S has flared fenders. The front are 1” wider, the rear are 1.5” wider. They won’t look fine.
But the refreshed S has flared fenders. The front are 1” wider, the rear are 1.5” wider. They won’t look fine.
Exactly. On the surface, the cosmetic exterior changes seem slight...but they're not. From the rear, the cars are almost unrecognizable. Tesla basically took all the most popular aftermarket tuner modifications and just moderated them. It hasn't even been mentioned in reviews/test drives, but the new car has added rocker panels too.

@Blueblaster although we agree that fitting the older skinny wheels into the refreshed S isn’t a great idea, there is fundamentally no greater risk using spacers. The load the wheel spacers encounter is ultimately limited but the grip of the tire, not the output capability of the motor. 20mm of aluminum, 10 steel studs, and 10 lug nuts are more than adequate to the task.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing: Topic was buying older turbines for new Model S refresh. No, they will not fit naturally. 265 or 295...the new refresh is substantially wider. Fenders are different--all of them. Offsets for the new car are different than older model S oem offsets. Can you rig older turbines to fit a new model 265 on rear...? You could...and I would heavily advise against it. Will significantly effect the handling of the car, amongst other risks by using spacers on a car with this much power.

I agree 265 for rear of older model S looks just fine. What allot of people dont understand unless you have one or seen one in person, is the new Model S is SUBSTANTIALLY different in terms of width and stance. Looks like a different car from aggressive point of view. The older S looks like a sporty sedan. The new model S looks like a full on sports car when air suspension is low. A 265 on the back would look funny.
Incorrect... the OEM turbines will fit and will look great with a small spacer. Porsche even uses spacers with their OEM wheels on track cars. YMMV ;)

I have the same question. Just received a new 2021 refreshed MS LR with the 21 inch arachnids, but the wife prefers the glossy black turbines that she had on her 2018 MS. From what you guys are saying, it looks like if I got one of the million sets of the older 21 inch turbines on eBay, I would need spacers, which isn’t ideal. Any plans on anyone making ‘plug and play’ turbines that will fit the refreshed MS?

TSportline may make some. I originally started this thread because in pictures I wasn't a huge fan of the new arachnids, but having driven my Plaid for over 100 miles I actually appreciate the curves and shadows of the rims and may just powder coat them satin black down the road.

I don't know why, but looking at the turbines again makes them seem dated.

TSportline may make some. I originally started this thread because in pictures I wasn't a huge fan of the new arachnids, but having driven my Plaid for over 100 miles I actually appreciate the curves and shadows of the rims and may just powder coat them satin black down the road.

I don't know why, but looking at the turbines again makes them seem dated.
I think what the new Arachnids need are to lose that plastic center cap, real lug nuts, and 12-14mm spacers. May be difficult to get that spacer distance though.

@Blueblaster although we agree that fitting the older skinny wheels into the refreshed S isn’t a great idea, there is fundamentally no greater risk using spacers. The load the wheel spacers encounter is ultimately limited but the grip of the tire, not the output capability of the motor. 20mm of aluminum, 10 steel studs, and 10 lug nuts are more than adequate to the task.
You are probably correct about the technicality, especially LR vs. Plaid. But, I have 2 very reliable sources strongly recommending against any type of spacer with the new S... I still believe if you need a spacer, you're doing it wrong.

• Disagree
You are probably correct about the technicality, especially LR vs. Plaid. But, I have 2 very reliable sources strongly recommending against any type of spacer with the new S... I still believe if you need a spacer, you're doing it wrong.
I definitely agree that mounting previous gen arachnids with spacers is the wrong thing to do. On the other hand I think Tesla is too conservative on their wheel offsets. Even the new Arachnids are tucked at least 10mm inboard. I wouldn’t fault anyone for spacing that out if possible. $150 in spacers is far more attractive than $7500 in forged wheels and tires.

I definitely agree that mounting previous gen arachnids with spacers is the wrong thing to do. On the other hand I think Tesla is too conservative on their wheel offsets. Even the new Arachnids are tucked at least 10mm inboard. I wouldn’t fault anyone for spacing that out if possible. $150 in spacers is far more attractive than $7500 in forged wheels and tires.
100pct with the offsets. I am having some 20" forged wheels made and was going to do 35 front and 40 rear. The other thing I will have to think about is 255 vs. 265 upfront and 285 vs 295 rear. I plan to put these Mansory wheels on.

Attachments

• 20211002_183240.jpg
    20211002_183240.jpg
    450.7 KB · Views: 50