Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Buying or selling a Powerwall 2? A warning...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are correct! When I was shopping for solar panels a few months back Tesla Solar rep told me if I were to get the PW with the panels I can get 30% federal rebate on the total cost of the system but if I were to add a PW on a later date then it doesn't qualify for the 30% rebate. I would also get priority for the PW install if I were to get it as a whole package deal. I really wanted to go with Tesla Solar but their prices are just higher then a local company.

You should try to price match. I was able to do so by sending my rep a copy of a proposal I obtained on Energysage.com

You should try to price match. I was able to do so by sending my rep a copy of a proposal I obtained on Energysage.com

I did but they couldn't do anything until after I signed a contract with the new company then the SA called me back and said the manager could do better on pricing...I'm happy with the company I went with as everybody is in-house and no sub-contractors.

UPDATE: I successfully got $11,000 in Powerwall credit applied to my Model 3 order! I picked up my Model 3 today, delivery process was mostly smooth. This was not an easy process, but I did get $11,000 added as credit to my purchase. There were many teams involved and great confusion. In short, this is what must be done if you would like to apply credits:

1) First talk to the TESLA ENERGY team. Tesla Energy is completely separate from Tesla Auto, and the Tesla Energy team is responsible for converting your Powerwall prize into credit.

2) After it's been converted into credit, the credit will appear on the energy side. You need to get someone from the Auto side to communicate with the energy side and record the credit on the auto side. It was not immediately clear who did this for me, it was mostly my Delivery advisor communicating with other people to get it to appear within the auto-side's records. It was these "other people" that ultimately got it recorded.

3) After this, the credit must be applied to the order. This was particularly tricky and took a while. Essentially, my Delivery Advisor didn't know who to contact about this at first (they can't do it themselves apparently). After much pestering, she was eventually pointed in the "right direction" by someone. But that "right direction" was only an email address of someone who could supposedly apply them, and she waited for almost 3 weeks without a reply from the email. Once the reply came, the person essentially told her to submit it to the "contract ops" (contract operations) team. She did that, and within 2 days it was applied to my myTesla account and my MVPA. So the takeaway from number 3 is to tell your delivery advisor to submit it right to the contract ops team.

I cannot stress this enough, you will encounter great resistance at all steps, I was told 5-6 times at all stages that it couldn't be done, and I really had to pester. Tesla apparently switched to a new contract system 1-2 months ago which is unable to have credits easily applied to Model 3 orders. I repeatedly said that I was assured MANY months ago by many parties that the credits would be applicable and that a workaround must be possible. I wish you all the best of luck here!!!

UPDATE: I successfully got $11,000 in Powerwall credit applied to my Model 3 order! I picked up my Model 3 today, delivery process was mostly smooth. This was not an easy process, but I did get $11,000 added as credit to my purchase. There were many teams involved and great confusion. In short, this is what must be done if you would like to apply credits:

1) First talk to the TESLA ENERGY team. Tesla Energy is completely separate from Tesla Auto, and the Tesla Energy team is responsible for converting your Powerwall prize into credit.

2) After it's been converted into credit, the credit will appear on the energy side. You need to get someone from the Auto side to communicate with the energy side and record the credit on the auto side. It was not immediately clear who did this for me, it was mostly my Delivery advisor communicating with other people to get it to appear within the auto-side's records. It was these "other people" that ultimately got it recorded.

3) After this, the credit must be applied to the order. This was particularly tricky and took a while. Essentially, my Delivery Advisor didn't know who to contact about this at first (they can't do it themselves apparently). After much pestering, she was eventually pointed in the "right direction" by someone. But that "right direction" was only an email address of someone who could supposedly apply them, and she waited for almost 3 weeks without a reply from the email. Once the reply came, the person essentially told her to submit it to the "contract ops" (contract operations) team. She did that, and within 2 days it was applied to my myTesla account and my MVPA. So the takeaway from number 3 is to tell your delivery advisor to submit it right to the contract ops team.

I cannot stress this enough, you will encounter great resistance at all steps, I was told 5-6 times at all stages that it couldn't be done, and I really had to pester. Tesla apparently switched to a new contract system 1-2 months ago which is unable to have credits easily applied to Model 3 orders. I repeatedly said that I was assured MANY months ago by many parties that the credits would be applicable and that a workaround must be possible. I wish you all the best of luck here!!!

I have been asking for a credit for almost a year without any luck. Just earned a second powerwall and am picking up model 3 next week. I wanted to apply the credits toward the purchase. I am not sure why it is so difficult to do this.

I have been asking for a credit for almost a year without any luck. Just earned a second powerwall and am picking up model 3 next week. I wanted to apply the credits toward the purchase. I am not sure why it is so difficult to do this.
Be aggressive and (if your Delivery Advisor is basically stonewalling you), have them reassign you another Advisor. I told them that I was consistently told since I was notified of my prizes that I would be eligible for the credits. You have to follow the process I mentioned above. Much blood was shed for this war, don't let it be in vain!

Be aggressive and (if your Delivery Advisor is basically stonewalling you), have them reassign you another Advisor. I told them that I was consistently told since I was notified of my prizes that I would be eligible for the credits. You have to follow the process I mentioned above. Much blood was shed for this war, don't let it be in vain!
Did you have to pay tax on that $11,000, in the form of an IRS form 1099 which is what the issue you if you take physical possession of the power wall? If not, it’s an even better deal because really you are getting double.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Did you have to pay tax on that $11,000, in the form of an IRS form 1099 which is what the issue you if you take physical possession of the power wall? If not, it’s an even better deal because really you are getting double.

We didn’t get a 1099 when we did ours in July In the same manner but did pay sales tax on the full amount of the vehicle and the credit was applied as down payment, not a reduction of the sales price.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Damn I’m just jealous. I called and emailed and was told no by everyone and I took delivery of my 3 on 9/1 and was told via email if any credits every come to light that they’d be applied retroactively (no clue how).
The 5 people I’ve dealt with at Tesla energy and Tesla referral all said no credit in US and to wait another 12 months for a powerwall.

• Informative
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Does anyone know how much the W-9 states the value is? $6700? $7700 w gateway or $8700 w gateway and install credit?

TIA!

Did you get a call to have yours installed? I got the call last Thursday but live in a condo and they said it’s use it or lose it. Said I can “gift” it to someone or have installed sowhere temporarily and then ripped out and moved into a home that I own when i eventually move into one, but that they will not hold onto them or ship you one without installation (makes no sense. Why would they care??). Any luck from USA residents on getting a credit in lieu of powerwall OR getting deferred delivery?

Did you get a call to have yours installed? I got the call last Thursday but live in a condo and they said it’s use it or lose it. Said I can “gift” it to someone or have installed sowhere temporarily and then ripped out and moved into a home that I own when i eventually move into one, but that they will not hold onto them or ship you one without installation (makes no sense. Why would they care??). Any luck from USA residents on getting a credit in lieu of powerwall OR getting deferred delivery?

I'm looking to gift mine to a friend. No luck on a credit either here. Just trying to find out how much the W-9 will be issued for.

Multiple tries to get the credit - zero luck. Offered to buy a P3D if they would credit the powerwall, still said no. :(.

Foolish on their part - would make THEIR lives easier. I'm literally going to have to have these 3 Powerwalls installed in my uncle's house and then rip them out once I have a house of my own. Why they won't let me take delivery and put them in a storage unit or garage is baffling... their insistence on having them installed makes very little sense.